The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: AKC hunt test limit dogs per handler?

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    Again I'll point back to the 19 tests ahead of the MN in the fall had sell-outs in 5 tests, all 60 dog limits.

Smaller or grounds starved clubs are likely those that had an issue. Regional, seasonal, club specific.

I recall a post last year someone made a claim about this issue. I went back and researched that test. He was full of bullhockey.

If you have small club or want to test in a small limit stake, be proactive and find out when the entries open, before they open. Let's not create a bunch of rules for issues that one can likely resolve through being proactive.

I was the hunt test secretary for the Kansas city retriever club, our hunt test fill up with 60 master dogs in a few hours. When you put your hunt test on entry express, entry express will submit your judges to akc and akc approves your judges. Entry express puts your hunt test on to enter. It is hard to know when process will take place and your test will finalizes.
    Two pros had 24 dogs each. I was unable to get my dog entered before it filled up in a couple of hours. Pros can enter too many dogs and scratch dogs before the test closes and replace the dog with another one or one of there friends dogs. We also only have about 5 people to work our test. Also there were no ams to help shoot birds.

Thanks David Wolfe

and 24 of the 32 entries are one guy..

Quote Originally Posted by clipper View Post
    and 24 of the 32 entries are one guy..
    With 24 dogs that belong to individuals like you and I. He's apparently organized. Given test entries close April 7th this is open early. Let no one complain it filled too fast or they didn't get a chance.

I understand the issue and my points have been that in many cases I feel individuals and possibly clubs can help themselves rather than rely on the AKC or MN with a bunch of new rules.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by davewolfe View Post
    I was the hunt test secretary for the Kansas city retriever club, our hunt test fill up with 60 master dogs in a few hours. When you put your hunt test on entry express, entry express will submit your judges to akc and akc approves your judges. Entry express puts your hunt test on to enter. It is hard to know when process will take place and your test will finalizes.
    Two pros had 24 dogs each. I was unable to get my dog entered before it filled up in a couple of hours. Pros can enter too many dogs and scratch dogs before the test closes and replace the dog with another one or one of there friends dogs. We also only have about 5 people to work our test. Also there were no ams to help shoot birds.

Thanks David Wolfe
    It was my understanding that if someone scratched their dog, EE would re open for that one dog, but not necessarily immediately. Sometimes several hour delay.
    Tom Dorroh

Quote Originally Posted by davewolfe View Post

Thanks David Wolfe
    You're right the Club Sec doesn't have total control. And you are the club I've been describing as affected - small MN club, 60 dog limit, right in the path to the MN. Is it man-power then that prevents you from having a 120 dog stake?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas D View Post
    It was my understanding that if someone scratched their dog, EE would re open for that one dog, but not necessarily immediately. Sometimes several hour delay.
    This is true, but the person that scratched the dog knows that their will be that opening in that couple of hours. At this point he or one of his friends can be watching. It would probable happen faster if this takes place when entry express office personal are working. I watched our test for weeks, every time a dog got scratch it was replace by someone associated with that pro. I can see where a person can manipulate the system to work in their favor.

Thanks David

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    I recall a post last year someone made a claim about this issue. I went back and researched that test. He was full of bullhockey.
    I am not sure if you are talking about my post last year, and I am not really wanting to rehash an old thread that was already thoroughly discussed, but here is one of the tests that I was referring to.
    If you look at this test you will see that there were 19 (not including scratches) people listed to handle their own dogs. Of the 19, there are 5 pros running their own dogs and another 6 people listed themselves and their pros as handlers. So at this test you probably really only had 8 amateurs run their own dog. That is the saddest part.
    Was this one of the tests you researched? When did you look this up? If you looked it up after the close, were you able to see how many dogs the pros originally signed up and then scratched?

https://www.entryexpress.net/loggedi....aspx?eid=5907
    Last edited by Handler Error; 02-01-2014 at 12:25 PM.

If there was no limit on entries then there would be plenty of room for all the people who wanted to run their dogs, would be able to do so. Then the hosting club could pay a little something for extra workers as needed. Still don't understand why a club wants to limit entries. All the clubs that wanted limits on entries were asking for this, now here it is, deal with it.
    HRCH UH Night Owl's Black Diamond MH "Homer"(500 Point Club)
    HRCH Iza-Gotsa-Lotsa-Go-Go MH "Streak"

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTannery View Post
    If there was no limit on entries then there would be plenty of room for all the people who wanted to run their dogs, would be able to do so. Then the hosting club could pay a little something for extra workers as needed. Still don't understand why a club wants to limit entries. All the clubs that wanted limits on entries were asking for this, now here it is, deal with it.
    lol...I hear ya. We limit entries because of spill-over into a next day, available water in the Fall and holding up judges. I don't think it's especially fair to ask a judge to hold themselves out and commit to a weekend just to have us cancel them if entries didn't push a split.

Quote Originally Posted by Handler Error View Post
    I am not sure if you are talking about my post last year, and I am not really wanting to rehash an old thread that was already thoroughly discussed, but here is one of the tests that I was referring to.
    If you look at this test you will see that there were 19 (not including scratches) people listed to handle their own dogs. Of the 19, there are 5 pros running their own dogs and another 6 people listed themselves and their pros as handlers. So at this test you probably really only had 8 amateurs run their own dog. That is the saddest part.
    Was this one of the tests you researched? When did you look this up? If you looked it up after the close, were you able to see how many dogs the pros originally signed up and then scratched?

https://www.entryexpress.net/loggedi....aspx?eid=5788
    I really have no idea if it was your post. Did you post a lot of bull?

I get that some tests fill quickly particularly in the path of the MN. You state Pro's are running their 'own' dogs. I suspect you mean amateur owners dogs?

My only point is that it seems a lot of grumblers are taking a back seat to fixing their own problem and complaining trying to figure out how to solve the problem with more rules and no individual effort. In addition speaking as if it's a national epidemic when in fact it's a bit more specific an issue to region/season.

This can't be an individual issue - it's a club issue and the club needs to resolve it. Some might think it an opportunity while others consider it a problem.