The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: AKC hunt test limit dogs per handler?

Quote Originally Posted by davewolfe View Post
    I can see where a person can manipulate the system to work in their favor.
    That would be unethical.

Quote Originally Posted by davewolfe View Post
    Pros can enter too many dogs and scratch dogs before the test closes and replace the dog with another one or one of there friends dogs.
    David,

Please help me out on this situation. At our last test, that filled within 3 days and we had a 60 limit set, and of course we had 3 scratches known well before 4 days prior to the test date but after the Close date and time. And, of course, we had club members that did not get in early on during the short open so they tried to get in and replace those known scratches. They were told it was too late. I do not know who told them EE or the HT secretary, because it was after the close and that was the reason given. Thus we ran a 60 limit Master with 57 dogs.

What is allowed here by the EE and AKC? Is the close a hard set lock in with the exception of a scratch? I have done all of the other duties involved for a HT but never Hunt Test Secretary so I am not clear what is allowable here. Thanks!

It seems to me that having a waiting list approach would allow a complete fill of the limited number of spots. I know there is no mechanism now to manage a wait list and I know there are some strict rules around the AKC close date. Seems like the AKC should address this new problem and allow some sort of waiting list process then EE can put a fair process, first come first serve no mickey mouse stuff, in place to insure all slots are filled. The waiting list would start the moment the test is filled and a option on EE is provided to tentatively enter your dog awaiting a scratch or opening.
    Joe B.

Northern Colorado

HRCH Bella's Devine Independence SH "Indy"
    Lakota Ridge Sage JH "Sage"
    SHR APR KB's Lakota Ridge Delaney JH "Del"
    RIP 2014 Lakotaridge Heartsome Tanner SH "Tanner"
    RIP 2012 Oryan of Cork "Orion"

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."
    "Never hate your enemies. It affects your judgment."

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    You state Pro's are running their 'own' dogs. I suspect you mean amateur owners dogs?
    No I mean they are listed as the owner and the handler.

https://www.entryexpress.net/loggedi....aspx?eid=5907

Quote Originally Posted by Handler Error View Post
    I remember this test as I had plans on attending this one and another local test in the same area last year. Unfortunately I had to wait 2 days after the open for a pay check and by then I was SOL. I did not see that coming, guess I learned, so my whole schedule was revised just to get a couple more Master tests in by the end of the year.
    Joe B.

Northern Colorado

HRCH Bella's Devine Independence SH "Indy"
    Lakota Ridge Sage JH "Sage"
    SHR APR KB's Lakota Ridge Delaney JH "Del"
    RIP 2014 Lakotaridge Heartsome Tanner SH "Tanner"
    RIP 2012 Oryan of Cork "Orion"

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."
    "Never hate your enemies. It affects your judgment."

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    With 24 dogs that belong to individuals like you and I
    Nope.. not like me... I train and handle my own dog (to the best of our ability)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Brakke View Post
    David,

Please help me out on this situation. At our last test, that filled within 3 days and we had a 60 limit set, and of course we had 3 scratches known well before 4 days prior to the test date but after the Close date and time. And, of course, we had club members that did not get in early on during the short open so they tried to get in and replace those known scratches. They were told it was too late. I do not know who told them EE or the HT secretary, because it was after the close and that was the reason given. Thus we ran a 60 limit Master with 57 dogs.

What is allowed here by the EE and AKC? Is the close a hard set lock in with the exception of a scratch? I have done all of the other duties involved for a HT but never Hunt Test Secretary so I am not clear what is allowable here. Thanks!

It seems to me that having a waiting list approach would allow a complete fill of the limited number of spots. I know there is no mechanism now to manage a wait list and I know there are some strict rules around the AKC close date. Seems like the AKC should address this new problem and allow some sort of waiting list process then EE can put a fair process, first come first serve no mickey mouse stuff, in place to insure all slots are filled. The waiting list would start the moment the test is filled and a option on EE is provided to tentatively enter your dog awaiting a scratch or opening.
    Agree with the wait list.
    Regarding scratches after close. AKC brought up that exact thing at MN in AL. Scratches after close cannot be back filled by club. One of the downsides of limits.
    Tom Dorroh

On the comment about scratches after the close - the AKC says once it closes it is closed. EE has no say as they follow the rules.

Suggest Changing the rules via the RHTAC ; those folks are retriever people.
    Then after the rule change petition EE to add programing for a list. Of course that takes coins and i dont think EE is a cash cow

While your at it maybe we could change the close time to regular hours for most. I know people who sit an ala to get up to enter. Of course they play the FT sport But how about s close when someone is actually at the office. The ladies do a great job but they are not on duty 24/7
    Dk

How about having Pro Flights that cost more so you can hire the help and owner handler flights where the owners all help out with throwing birds. Would it work to start the Pro's on Thursday with hired help and owners on Saturday? Just a thought that is out of the box from what I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Handler Error View Post
    No I mean they are listed as the owner and the handler.

https://www.entryexpress.net/loggedi....aspx?eid=5907
    I am sorry I am missing your point. There are some owner/handler entries the same by pro's (not all) and almost all are listed as Breeder.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by clipper View Post
    Nope.. not like me... I train and handle my own dog (to the best of our ability)
    So do I but the point/conersation was Pro's running dogs, eh?
    We shoot dogs with a Canon