The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another DOG BOX question regarding insulation

Default Another DOG BOX question regarding insulation

I am considering getting a metal dog box that I can be able to put a lock on the doors when traveling to keep my buddies from getting stolen or messed with. Ive noticed most of the boxes have holes in the doors and in the sides for obvious airflow reasons during hot weather. My question is when hunting or traveling in cold weather, do you cover the ventilation holes to keep 70mph highway wind from freezing the dog? Is there a cover to put over it? Do you just put some good hay down for bedding and insulating purposes and the dogs do fine? Might seem like a silly question but I have no experience with these style of boxes as ive always used the plastic crates with covers. The problem is when I hunt public ground I always have to worry about some Jack*** stealing it. Thanks for any input

Vents stay closed in cold weather on mine whether moving or stationary. Don't let the locks fool ya, there are only two different locks on every dog box out there. My two keys will unlock them all and if they want in no lock made will keep them out. Remember; locks are for the honest folks.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

The good boxes have closable louvers for the door. The side and back vents are circular vents. Rotating the vent closes the openings.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Never close a box up completely tight, though. Always leave a little open for air.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    Vents stay closed in cold weather on mine whether moving or stationary. Don't let the locks fool ya, there are only two different locks on every dog box out there. My two keys will unlock them all and if they want in no lock made will keep them out. Remember; locks are for the honest folks.
    You sure about that?

I didn't want to argue because I appreciate the advice but I would hope the 2 key thing is not true. If it is, I think ill be adding pad locks

Quote Originally Posted by krapwxman View Post
    You sure about that?
    Check your key/keys, both of my deerskins use the same key. I will check an Ainley this week and update this thread but am pretty sure my keys will work. Several months ago I mailed an extra key to a member who bought a box without keys. The locks mfg's use ain't that high tec.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    Check your key/keys, both of my deerskins use the same key. I will check an Ainley this week and update this thread but am pretty sure my keys will work. Several months ago I mailed an extra key to a member who bought a box without keys. The locks mfg's use ain't that high tec.
    Unfortunetly this is true. keys for dog boxes, camper shells, RV storage compartments are unreliable. Some will open with just a screw driver to trip the first tumbler. You can have a locksmith re-key, but it ain't cheap. A pipe wrench and a cheater bar will break these locks anyway. Don't leave it out of your sight.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by PatDuck View Post
    I didn't want to argue because I appreciate the advice but I would hope the 2 key thing is not true. If it is, I think ill be adding pad locks
    I don't know if it is two or six or ten, but there aren't bazillions. Regardless, the locks are not that difficult to defeat. They are basically made to keep the doors closed and keep an honest person out. I keep padlocks in the truck and will use them at night some times. Not usually at the FT hotel, but if you are traveling on an long trip and just staying somewhere. Again, it won't keep a determined thief out, but will cause the lazier ones to go somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    I don't know if it is two or six or ten, but there aren't bazillions. Regardless, the locks are not that difficult to defeat. They are basically made to keep the doors closed and keep an honest person out. I keep padlocks in the truck and will use them at night some times. Not usually at the FT hotel, but if you are traveling on an long trip and just staying somewhere. Again, it won't keep a determined thief out, but will cause the lazier ones to go somewhere else.
    I did the same. I just bout some 3 number combination locks that I can put on the bracket where the safety latches attach.