The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Hello and opinions on training selection

Question Hello and opinions on training selection

Good day,

New to site for most part. Been hunting waterfowl and upland birds for a long time. Last month I lost my 14 year old BLM from kidney failure. He was an amazing gun dog that could do it all. We would hunt from early goose in Sept, pheasants in early Oct until ducks opened then it was waterfowl till the end of Dec/early Jan, then grouse in Jan and Feb. We had a good long run of 14 hunting seasons together and I am thankful for all he did for me during that time and will always miss him a ton.

Late March/early April I will be getting a new pup. It will be another male lab. Just like Gunner, this dog will be a hunting dog as well as a family member that lives in our home with us. We will not be involved in field trials. Not that I don't find them interesting and fun, time and distance to a club make it something we won't be involved in at this point and time. Back when I got Gunner 14 years ago, I used the waterdog and upland videos, numerous books and this site to help me train.

This time around I am looking at some of the newer programs that are available. My thought after reading different things on this site is to start out with Training a Retriever Puppy with Bill Hillmann and then switching over to the Fowl Dawg series. No one particular post or thread has brought me to this idea, just a combination of posts and threads has me heading this direction. Will these programs from two different people be compatible?

Thank you for your assistance

Welcome aboard! I used Hillman with great success with my last pup, a very fun and easy program. I am not familiar with Fowl dogs, but more familiar with Smartworks and Lardy's TRT. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, just be patient and stick to one program and more importantly enjoy your new pup and will have a great time ahead of you! Best of luck!

Chris
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Brownstone's Harley- "Harley" 7/29/2009 (By CH Woodhull's Roger That)
    Maple Hill's Ella Enchanted- "Ella" 8/30/2011 (By FC AFC Land Ahoy)
    Good Idea's The Cutting Edge- "Edge" 9/29/2014 (Grady x Good Idea's Touch of Class)