The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Books for the Young Dog Trainer

Default Books for the Young Dog Trainer

My nephew who is 13 years old is just over the top about training. When he isn't busy with school work or football practice he is with me training. Or at least calling and asking how the training session went. My question is there a book that you think would benefit a young kid? Or young dog trainer enthusiast?

I initially thought about the Tom Quinn book because it is full of personal stories and training tips/techniques. But wanted more input.

I don't think a step by step training manual would peak his interest. But if it has dog training and duck hunting in the mix he'd be thrilled.

What's in your library that stands out?
    "A dog has nothing, yet is seldom dissatisfied."

Name:
    Chris Krause

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    My nephew who is 13 years old is just over the top about training. When he isn't busy with school work or football practice he is with me training. Or at least calling and asking how the training session went. My question is there a book that you think would benefit a young kid? Or young dog trainer enthusiast?

I initially thought about the Tom Quinn book because it is full of personal stories and training tips/techniques. But wanted more input.

I don't think a step by step training manual would peak his interest. But if it has dog training and duck hunting in the mix he'd be thrilled.

What's in your library that stands out?
    Wrath,

First, let me say good work with taking the time to keep the Lad's interest in retrievers and the outdoors, something ye nephew will likely treasure for life because you made the effort.

Two books that come to mind and that I have kept in my library of retriever related literature are, "A DOG FOR ALL SEASONS - The Labrador Retriever" by Joe Arnette, and "PANTHER" - And Other Stories of Great Hunting Retrievers (An Original Anthology) published by Ducks Unlimited.

Neither of these books is of a step by step training manual format, rather, they both illustrate to connection of humans and their hunting retrievers, and those very special bonds formed in working with as well as hunting over these most special of dogs.

I think both of these books would be well received and fully enjoyed by your nephew. I believe both of these books will only serve to further solidify your nephew's interest in retrievers and his desire to become more involved with training.

Good luck and let me know how things go.

Cheers Mate,
    Irishwhistler

Just looked those up. Those look like exactly what I had in mind! Thanks
    Would love to hear more suggestions as well.
    "A dog has nothing, yet is seldom dissatisfied."

Name:
    Chris Krause

Charles Morgan on retrievers will "get him thinking" should be in everyones library....Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    I initially thought about the Tom Quinn book because it is full of personal stories and training tips/techniques.
    Bingo on "The Working Retrievers" - with Tom Quinn's art work as an added attraction.

MG

Get Butch Goodwin's "Retrievers from the inside out" easy to follow

Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    Charles Morgan on retrievers will "get him thinking" should be in everyones library....Jim
    Make sure he reads pg 125-139! I think every bird boy/trainer that had worked for Grandpa read this section.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernstorm View Post
    Make sure he reads pg 125-139! I think every bird boy/trainer that had worked for Grandpa read this section.
    HAAAA,thats the truth!!!!! Required reading before they started. Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Get him DL Walters "Training Retrievers to Handle" Not because he would enjoy it, but because if a 13 year old can figure out how to program a universal remote, he may be able to read the diagrams and figure out walking baseball

I would generally agree that some of the books with more of the "whys" are probably better than the "hows". I would add to the list Boyd Gibbon's "The Retriever Game" as motivation and some history. Also, the Lardy set of articles is a good start for anyone on the whole progression and cheap as well.

The Ten Minute Retriever!