The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking at buying my first Chesapeake Bay Retriever. Advice and help appreciated.

Default Looking at buying my first Chesapeake Bay Retriever. Advice and help appreciated.

I am looking at buying a Chessie. I have had labs and pointers in the past and this year I hunted for the first time with a chessie and I really liked the dog.

I am just beginning to do my research (started this week) on the breed. I am looking for a dog that I can run trials with and is also going to be a good hunter.

I like a powerful dogs with a fair amount of motor, they have to be able to handle pressure and not fold or quit when disciplined or corrected.

Any recommendations on current blood lines, breeders, other forums or sites to research, etc would be greatly appreciated!

Teamchesapeake forum.a very nice litter on there now.where are you located.?
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Quote Originally Posted by bigo181979 View Post
    I am looking at buying a Chessie. I have had labs and pointers in the past and this year I hunted for the first time with a chessie and I really liked the dog.

I am just beginning to do my research (started this week) on the breed. I am looking for a dog that I can run trials with and is also going to be a good hunter.

I like a powerful dogs with a fair amount of motor, they have to be able to handle pressure and not fold or quit when disciplined or corrected.

Any recommendations on current blood lines, breeders, other forums or sites to research, etc would be greatly appreciated!
    While there are Chesapeakes that can handle pressure, it is not a trait the breed is known for. I respectfully suggest that if you want to succeed with a Chesapeake, you first get familiar with the training approaches used by trainers who have got results with their Peakes. Even with the most forgiving ones, you have to negotiate and you have to stop somewhere short of "absolute."

That said, I bred to Tim Carrion's dog Tanner and got dogs with outstanding training attitude.

Amy Dahl

Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    Teamchesapeake forum.a very nice litter on there now.where are you located.?
    Wichita, KS

Quote Originally Posted by afdahl View Post
    While there are Chesapeakes that can handle pressure, it is not a trait the breed is known for. I respectfully suggest that if you want to succeed with a Chesapeake, you first get familiar with the training approaches used by trainers who have got results with their Peakes. Even with the most forgiving ones, you have to negotiate and you have to stop somewhere short of "absolute."

That said, I bred to Tim Carrion's dog Tanner and got dogs with outstanding training attitude.

Amy Dahl
    Thanks for the info Amy, I am definitely in the process of trying to educate my self regarding the breed. That is why I asked for any recommendations on places to look for more info. I will continue my Google studies. I really like the look of the dog and the athletic ability as well, plus I want something different then a lab. I guess after loosing my last lab I feel like it was time for a change.

Chessies are very nice dogs and should be all you want them to be. One thing to remmeber is they are not labs and you need to train the individual dog.

Tom
    Tom Wall

Never had a lab myself but with some Chessies I've seen if the get too much pressure they breakdown and may never be the same dog again before the pressure got to much. I'm talking pressure from corrections not pressure of the hunt. But others I've seen keep wanting more pressure. That's why as mentioned above its so important to train to the individual dog and not just word for word or motion for motion on a DVD

Faith consists in believing when it is beyond the power of reason to believe.

Chessies are wonderful dogs, but they aren't Labs. I tell people that they are one step closer to feral in the instinctive way they react and respond to things. They were originally bred to hunt without much (if any) training, so strong instinctive behavior. They can handle pressure, applied appropriately and carefully, but they don't require much and if you overdo, they tend to shut down. And they also tend to not forgive as easily as a Lab. One other thing I've noticed: Be careful how you teach them because they pick up things fast and if you teach it wrong it can be hard to re-teach it once they believe they've learned it.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

If you are in Wichita look up Bill Burks. He has 2 nice females and he is a very nice guy. You can feel free to contact me as well. i have 2 chessies that I run in events. Also do a bunch of research on the breed they are not for everyone.

Russell
    CH Chisholm Trail's Backdraft Bay MH**
    Chisholm Trail's Crossfire Sophie JH**
    "I say goodbye to my weakness, so long to the regrets"

With our one Chessie, everything Sharon said above is spot on. We have one that can and does handle pressure well. But it does NOT TAKE MUCH! A quick timely correction gets a response. By the same token, he does not need a lot of elaborate praise either. A quiet "good dog" can make his whole day. Make it easy for them to get it right the first time, because the first time is what they remember most!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com