The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking at buying my first Chesapeake Bay Retriever. Advice and help appreciated.

Amy Dahl's, GanderLandR11's, Tom Wall's, Sharon's, and the other posts makes absolute sense. There are some good Chessie people giving you excellent advice above! I understand and appreciate wanting something a bit different. Just know that if you think you are getting a lab in different clothes you are incorrect and will probably be disappointed. While at times I think we often make too much of the differences, that is not to say that differences don't exist. I'm really referring to differences outside of the physical. There are certainly more qualified people here than me to speak about training methods but saying you want a Chesapeake and a dog that can take all the pressure you can throw at it are desires that could lead to a disappointed owner. As Tom Wall said, train the individual dog. Good advice in that post.

I became a first time Chessie owner 2 years ago and it's been a lot of fun. Good luck with your research!
    Last edited by Scott R.; 01-31-2014 at 11:00 AM.

You just missed an nice breeding between my dog and Bill Burks' Judy. Don't think he will breed her again, but he may know of other breeding's that may be off the radar screen.
    "Perfection is the enemy of good enough" Vince Stone

Quote Originally Posted by bigo181979 View Post

I like a powerful dogs with a fair amount of motor, they have to be able to handle pressure and not fold or quit when disciplined or corrected.
    I think it matters what you mean by "fold or quit" here, when thinking of a Chessie. I wouldn't think a Chessie would normally be prone to quivering and ducking and whimpering when disciplined, but you will inevitably see Chessies sulk, refuse to do what you want, glare atyou, if they feel you were unfair in your discipline or if you over-discipline them. Our Chessie will easily accept discipline if he knows he did something wrong, but not if he thinks'you're being unfair.

Also, I think a chessie will be more likely to snap at you, if you overcorrect him physically, rather than whimpering and slinking away. They will stand their ground so to speak.

A Chessie is not likely to snap at you as much as sulk and shut down. However, if you lose your temper and keep pushing beyond any semblance of fairness, you may likely fire up their temper and that's when they'll push back.

As for pressure, most of my Chessies and those I've trained will respond very easily to a level one low on TriTronics, maybe a two and rarely...if ever... a low three.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Best advice contact Bill Burke like Andy said.
    Great guy and he runs great field chessies
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Quote Originally Posted by moscowitz View Post
    Best advice contact Bill Burke like Andy said.
    Great guy and he runs great field chessies
    I'll second that....and too bad you missed out on Judy's litter by Andy's dog, Sniper....Sniper is one heck of a nice dog!!
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Thanks Sharon! that's exactly what I meant, but you worded it much better than I.

I disagree get the right breeding and they won't shut down or sulk. All mine have had good work ethics don't snap at me during training or I will kill them. And can take pressure. I think I understand where you are coming from call Bill Burke since he is close to you.

Don't get me wrong any dog under certain circumstances will shut down. You don't need a 2 by 4. They can take e collar pressure except if your an idiot who doesn't know when to use it.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Yeah I am not talking beating a dog with a 2x4 kind of pressure, I want a dog that you correct and you go on, not a dog that sits and sulks and it 15 minutes before we can move on. I am patient in my training of dogs, I don't mind if a dog makes a mistake as long as he keeps trying. I can work with a dog as long as he keeps trying and stubborn doesn't bother me either honestly. My big thing is I want the dog to keep trying, that way I can figure out how to get him to do what i need him too and he can figure out what I am trying to get him to do, then we both learn together. I am not the one size fits all type of person so I don't expect my dogs to be that way either. Most of what people consider bad things regarding the breed I am fine with.

Here's a couple question i have. Let me preface by saying I have always had studs, I have never owned a bitch and I have only hunted over one female lab in my life.
    I am told that Chessies have a reputation for not being very good to hunt with other dogs? Is this a fairly true stereotype or is that more old breeding nature?
    Now what would you say the difference in temperament would be between a female and male, also pro's and con's of one over the other.