The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking at buying my first Chesapeake Bay Retriever. Advice and help appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    i hunted with a friend last weekend who has a chessie.
    OK..I'll bite john...how'd it go.?
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

We've had Chesapeakes for well over 40 years now. I think we've had 14 so far. We've had about 50-50 on the sexes. My husband was a very ardent duck hunter and we started out with a female because our breeders, Nancy and Les Lowenthal, recommended that sex. Females can be great, loving, good to train or they can be hormonal depending on the heat cycles. If they are having a false pregnancy, they may not want to work so much. A spayed female is a wonderful hunting dog. Our males have been crazy to work, but sometimes a little over the top yet still loving. The best male we had was a very middle of the road guy who trained like a dream, calm with a gentle temperament. He finished the Master National and about 35 master hunt tests in his career. All the personalities are different. They are all individuals and they are smart. They make life fun! Enjoy the ride!

Over the years I've had both Labs & Chesapeakes. In the early 80's I was fortunate to have owned a male and female that were both great duck dogs. They were unrelated and the female Stoker's Tin Lizzie came from Chestnut Hills Kennel (definitely Show Bred), however they were easy to train, smart and serious to a fault. My best advise would be to choose a pup from a litter with all health clearances and then let your personal preferences help make the decision.
    I ignore stupidity unless you bring it to my attention!
    Crystal Coast Labradors

CCL Return To Sender
    N Sana Te

It is like any breed. You will get out of a Chessie what you put into it. I have two and hunt with labs, goldens, spaniels and others. Never had a problem with my dog. I have had other dog push mine far past what most would tolerate. I think the biggest thing for you is to remember SOCIALIZATION. get your dog into as many new situations as possible. Get them around kids, other dogs, cattle, Dogs, crowds and dogs. This is true with most breeds. Be fair and teach before you correct and you will be very happy with your choice.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by tim bonnema View Post
    It is like any breed. You will get out of a Chessie what you put into it.
    This is humorous to me because it echoes something my husband was told long ago. John's first two Chesapeakes, Buck and Pilot, were both bred from Alpine dogs. John was getting pretty serious about dogs and training, so he wrote to Fred Woodall to ask what he could expect from these two dogs. Woodall wrote back, saying,

"You will get out of these dogs EXACTLY what you put into them."

Amy Dahl

PAGE 2 I was wondering how long it would take for someone to bring up a 2x4.
    In the history of dog training the worst thing ever said, forgot who said it but it was some thing like you need to
    train a chessie with a 2x4.
    Yes they will make you think when training, say you are doing a double-T with a lab you can run it 10 times and the lab
    will still be running with a Chessie maybe 2-3 times before it gets old for them.
    Then there is the hole they are all fighters, mine has never started a fight, but has also never lost one.
    Great breed and just a good dog to have.
    Good luck

Too many on here that have waaaay more knowledge than me.......One seems to lurk quite often and would love to hear from him.....Kyle Bertram!!!!!!! Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    OK..I'll bite john...how'd it go.?
    you know what mamma said jim, "if you can't say something nice........."

just kiddin', if my buddy spent time and trained him to do anything besides fetch his news paper during the off season he would be a fabulous critter.
    john mccallie

I LOVE chessies so much that this thread hurts my heart. They are the only dog for me. I'll help others train their labs, but chessies are the only dog I'll own and hunt with.

There is, believe it or not, a use for that 2x4 when training a Chessie. Here's how it works:

When the dog makes a mistake, take that piece of lumber and whack yourself in the head with it, saying "Bad trainer! Bad trainer!"
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith