The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking at buying my first Chesapeake Bay Retriever. Advice and help appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    ....As for pressure, most of my Chessies and those I've trained will respond very easily to a level one low on TriTronics, maybe a two and rarely...if ever... a low three.

very true for me as well. except 1 sedge bitch named Gate who was happy with a high 4 low 5. would not even feel anything else. but she also snacked on yellow jackets, wasps, would climb over wood piles and near break a leg over a bumble bee. just loved um??? crazy old girl was not the normal Chessie. or was she?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

One of my current chessie bitches doesn't respond to anything less than a 4. She's the exception...

There is, believe it or not, a use for that 2x4 when training a Chessie. Here's how it works:

When the dog makes a mistake, take that piece of lumber and whack yourself in the head with it, saying "Bad trainer! Bad trainer!"
    Didn't Ken Bora make a video of training a Chesapeake with a 2 x 4?

Amy Dahl

Quote Originally Posted by afdahl View Post
    Didn't Ken Bora make a video of training a Chesapeake with a 2 x 4?

Amy Dahl
    Amy, I believe he did! Hey Ken....
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Too funny, I was just about to bring up that video! I will never forget when we were waiting for our Chessie to arrive from the breeder. I was training with Bach Doar. I happened to carry a short sledge hammer in my truck for setting tie out stakes. Bach walked by and saw it sitting on the tail gate. Without missing a step, he asks, "New heeling stick for your new pup?". He really liked Chessies and was a huge help in starting ours out right. Scout has never needed over a medium 2 on the collar to get what we wanted.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

I'll second that....and too bad you missed out on Judy's litter by Andy's dog, Sniper....Sniper is one heck of a nice dog!!
    So does anyone have Bills contact information they can PM me?

There is also the nostalgia of hunting with a Chessie. Carved decoys, double guns, Big Scary water and an ice glazed Chesapeake is the definition of waterfowling to me. DO your research on the breed and if you think your a chessie person you'll know it. All of us chessie folks are just a little different. I've heard all the stereotypes from folks but not one of the people had ever owned or trained a chessie to a high level. They are not robots and tend to be problem solvers which can be very good or bad depending on your training abilities. As far as all the aggression and stubbornness stereotypes, DOGS ARE INDIVIDUALS.
    HRCH Walkers Puddle Jumpin Koda "Koda"
    SHR Duncan's Haulin a Limit "Limit"
    Bourbon Bay's Other Woman "Jolene"

Threads about CBRs tend to focus on force and correction. Pushing buttons at various settings and 2x4s will not make a CBR retrieve.
    The dog will retrieve based on 2 things: 1)what he/she understands as the task and 2)if the dog trust you and believes you worthy of their effort.
    CBRs are taught. Break down the lesson to its basic components.
    once the lesson is understood it will not be forgotten and can be built upon.

My best suggestion for finding a puppy is to find a person that is running one at the level you wish to achieve. Most CBRs are trained and handled by their owners. These are the people that can best guide you. Be prepared to wait. As both a curse and a blessing litters of talented field CBRs are not readily available.

If you need help finding people PM me.

Tim

Tin
    Last edited by Tim Carrion; 02-01-2014 at 05:19 PM.
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

So they are soft when it comes to pressure but tough
    When it comes to harsh hunting conditions, rough water cold weather
    Far swims ? Am i correct saying this....