The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Looking at buying my first Chesapeake Bay Retriever. Advice and help appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    Another quirck of the breed,water freaking.......have never seen another breed do it.No biggie to me though. Jim
    A friends Boykin was the water freak champ so not chessie only for sure.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    "it is important they know there is no place on Gods green earth that you can not get to, to lay hands on them".
    Ken's quote applies to most dogs, but especially to Chessies. With Chessies, you need to earn their respect and trust. You must do this by being the pack leader and treating them fair. Make darn sure the dog knows what you want before applying any correction. As has been said, Chessies are rather fast learners and have a remarkable memory. Most problems a trainer has with the Chessie is inadvertently training it for a certain response and then trying to alter/or negate that response at a later date assuming the dog knows what you meant. Also with a Chessie, you must be the pack leader. Chessies can be very sly and cunning. If they think they can ignore you or disobey without consequence, they will quickly wind up training you rather than the other way around. You must remain in control at all times!!

The one thing not mentioned too much in this thread are health clearances. About 10 years ago the ACC did a survey on the diseases of the Chesapeake. (Results here: http://amchessieclub.org/survey/) Since then a bit more information and testing has developed regarding DM and EIC. Know what diseases are prevalent in the breed and what the overall implications are for a pup that is genetically predisposed to one of these diseases. Know also that you can minimize your probability of getting a pup with one of these diseases if you insist on the proper health clearances and checking the genetic pedigree of the breeding. While most breeders will be open and honest with you regarding the health certificates their dogs may have, don't be afraid to check them out! Good places to look include http://www.offa.org/ and http://www.chessieinfo.net/ .

Also, if you have any further questions don't be afraid to ask.

T. Mac

Well so far I have learned that the people into chessies really know their stuff about the breed and history! Holy cow I have a lot to learn. But I am enjoying it. Spoke to Bill tonight got some good leads, learned a lot of info and now I am researching a lot of names and pedigrees he threw at me. If anyone hears of any good breedings, MH on both sides, please let me know (preferably in the midwest).

I know of a repeat breeding of a DC/AFC to a MH/QAA female. PM me and I can put you in touch with the owner.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Quote Originally Posted by bigo181979 View Post
    Well so far I have learned that the people into chessies really know their stuff about the breed and history! Holy cow I have a lot to learn. But I am enjoying it. Spoke to Bill tonight got some good leads, learned a lot of info and now I am researching a lot of names and pedigrees he threw at me. If anyone hears of any good breedings, MH on both sides, please let me know (preferably in the midwest).
    You're on the right track with help from Bill; there's nothing better than a good mentor with his many years of experience and success at the highest levels. Not to mention...it's just very satisfying to own this breed, because as you probably learned from your research, it's the only sporting dog bred entirely here in the U.S., by us, for us, for our hunting country. I'd never be one to disparage Labs, in fact to most people that contact me trying to decide between a Lab and a CBR, I suggest they get the Lab. If you want a CBR, you don't have to be talked into it.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Sent you a PM

Quote Originally Posted by T. Mac View Post
    Ken's quote applies to most dogs, but especially to Chessies. With Chessies, you need to earn their respect and trust. You must do this by being the pack leader and treating them fair. Make darn sure the dog knows what you want before applying any correction. As has been said, Chessies are rather fast learners and have a remarkable memory. Most problems a trainer has with the Chessie is inadvertently training it for a certain response and then trying to alter/or negate that response at a later date assuming the dog knows what you meant. Also with a Chessie, you must be the pack leader. Chessies can be very sly and cunning. If they think they can ignore you or disobey without consequence, they will quickly wind up training you rather than the other way around. You must remain in control at all times!!
    T. Mac
    For a real life example of the truth in the above, let me repost a little story from a few years ago. It reflects the good, bad, ugly and humor (!) of the breed

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...appy+brown+dog
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    For a real life example of the truth in the above, let me repost a little story from a few years ago. It reflects the good, bad, ugly and humor (!) of the breed

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...appy+brown+dog
    Carol,I remember that!!!!I had a mental pic of the whole scenario..................I truly believe he has your number so to speak or had it........Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Trust me Jim, he does! I love to train this dog, but I will never take him to another trial. All his "humor" comes out when he has an audience.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

And let's not forget the "bumper attack" story. Truly shows the intelligence and sense of humor.

Scout has a habit of picking up the bumpers correctly, then slowing down as he gets close and then cigaring them. Why? Because he can. It's a little game he plays. I suggested seeing if we could clean it up, so we used a bumper with a PVC pipe reducer on the tab end. When Scout realized he couldn't get hold of the tab end, he got so frustrated! The look on his face was priceless. Anyway, that bumper got tossed into the pile behind us with all the others we'd used on that setup. As we are all standing there talking, Scout went over to the pile, dug out that particular bumper, and attacked it, trying to get rid of the pipe reducer. He wanted that PVC off of there NOW!

What can you do except laugh?
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith