RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Looking at buying my first Chesapeake Bay Retriever. Advice and help appreciated.

31K views 83 replies 37 participants last post by  james durfee 
#1 ·
I am looking at buying a Chessie. I have had labs and pointers in the past and this year I hunted for the first time with a chessie and I really liked the dog.

I am just beginning to do my research (started this week) on the breed. I am looking for a dog that I can run trials with and is also going to be a good hunter.

I like a powerful dogs with a fair amount of motor, they have to be able to handle pressure and not fold or quit when disciplined or corrected.

Any recommendations on current blood lines, breeders, other forums or sites to research, etc would be greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
Teamchesapeake forum.a very nice litter on there now.where are you located.?

#4 ·
Wichita, KS

While there are Chesapeakes that can handle pressure, it is not a trait the breed is known for. I respectfully suggest that if you want to succeed with a Chesapeake, you first get familiar with the training approaches used by trainers who have got results with their Peakes. Even with the most forgiving ones, you have to negotiate and you have to stop somewhere short of "absolute."

That said, I bred to Tim Carrion's dog Tanner and got dogs with outstanding training attitude.

Amy Dahl
Thanks for the info Amy, I am definitely in the process of trying to educate my self regarding the breed. That is why I asked for any recommendations on places to look for more info. I will continue my Google studies. I really like the look of the dog and the athletic ability as well, plus I want something different then a lab. I guess after loosing my last lab I feel like it was time for a change.

#3 ·
While there are Chesapeakes that can handle pressure, it is not a trait the breed is known for. I respectfully suggest that if you want to succeed with a Chesapeake, you first get familiar with the training approaches used by trainers who have got results with their Peakes. Even with the most forgiving ones, you have to negotiate and you have to stop somewhere short of "absolute."

That said, I bred to Tim Carrion's dog Tanner and got dogs with outstanding training attitude.

Amy Dahl

#6 ·
Never had a lab myself but with some Chessies I've seen if the get too much pressure they breakdown and may never be the same dog again before the pressure got to much. I'm talking pressure from corrections not pressure of the hunt. But others I've seen keep wanting more pressure. That's why as mentioned above its so important to train to the individual dog and not just word for word or motion for motion on a DVD

#8 ·
Chessies are wonderful dogs, but they aren't Labs. I tell people that they are one step closer to feral in the instinctive way they react and respond to things. They were originally bred to hunt without much (if any) training, so strong instinctive behavior. They can handle pressure, applied appropriately and carefully, but they don't require much and if you overdo, they tend to shut down. And they also tend to not forgive as easily as a Lab. One other thing I've noticed: Be careful how you teach them because they pick up things fast and if you teach it wrong it can be hard to re-teach it once they believe they've learned it.

#9 ·
If you are in Wichita look up Bill Burks. He has 2 nice females and he is a very nice guy. You can feel free to contact me as well. i have 2 chessies that I run in events. Also do a bunch of research on the breed they are not for everyone.

Russell

#10 ·
With our one Chessie, everything Sharon said above is spot on. We have one that can and does handle pressure well. But it does NOT TAKE MUCH! A quick timely correction gets a response. By the same token, he does not need a lot of elaborate praise either. A quiet "good dog" can make his whole day. Make it easy for them to get it right the first time, because the first time is what they remember most!

#11 · (Edited)
Amy Dahl's, GanderLandR11's, Tom Wall's, Sharon's, and the other posts makes absolute sense. There are some good Chessie people giving you excellent advice above! I understand and appreciate wanting something a bit different. Just know that if you think you are getting a lab in different clothes you are incorrect and will probably be disappointed. While at times I think we often make too much of the differences, that is not to say that differences don't exist. I'm really referring to differences outside of the physical. There are certainly more qualified people here than me to speak about training methods but saying you want a Chesapeake and a dog that can take all the pressure you can throw at it are desires that could lead to a disappointed owner. As Tom Wall said, train the individual dog. Good advice in that post.

I became a first time Chessie owner 2 years ago and it's been a lot of fun. Good luck with your research!

#12 ·
You just missed an nice breeding between my dog and Bill Burks' Judy. Don't think he will breed her again, but he may know of other breeding's that may be off the radar screen.

#13 ·
I like a powerful dogs with a fair amount of motor, they have to be able to handle pressure and not fold or quit when disciplined or corrected.
I think it matters what you mean by "fold or quit" here, when thinking of a Chessie. I wouldn't think a Chessie would normally be prone to quivering and ducking and whimpering when disciplined, but you will inevitably see Chessies sulk, refuse to do what you want, glare atyou, if they feel you were unfair in your discipline or if you over-discipline them. Our Chessie will easily accept discipline if he knows he did something wrong, but not if he thinks'you're being unfair.

#15 ·
A Chessie is not likely to snap at you as much as sulk and shut down. However, if you lose your temper and keep pushing beyond any semblance of fairness, you may likely fire up their temper and that's when they'll push back.

As for pressure, most of my Chessies and those I've trained will respond very easily to a level one low on TriTronics, maybe a two and rarely...if ever... a low three.

#16 ·
Best advice contact Bill Burke like Andy said.
Great guy and he runs great field chessies

#19 ·
I disagree get the right breeding and they won't shut down or sulk. All mine have had good work ethics don't snap at me during training or I will kill them. And can take pressure. I think I understand where you are coming from call Bill Burke since he is close to you.

Don't get me wrong any dog under certain circumstances will shut down. You don't need a 2 by 4. They can take e collar pressure except if your an idiot who doesn't know when to use it.

#22 ·
I agree with this post. I'm a Dogtra guy but if I understand TriTronics correctly it has levels 1-6? A correction of 1 or 2 out of 6 isn't going to work on mine. But the level isn't really the point because like everyone says, train the dog...the effective level is what it is and YMMV.

Yeah I am not talking beating a dog with a 2x4 kind of pressure, I want a dog that you correct and you go on, not a dog that sits and sulks and it 15 minutes before we can move on. I am patient in my training of dogs, I don't mind if a dog makes a mistake as long as he keeps trying. I can work with a dog as long as he keeps trying and stubborn doesn't bother me either honestly. My big thing is I want the dog to keep trying, that way I can figure out how to get him to do what i need him too and he can figure out what I am trying to get him to do, then we both learn together. I am not the one size fits all type of person so I don't expect my dogs to be that way either. Most of what people consider bad things regarding the breed I am fine with.
You sound like a Chessie owner to me. Sorry if I misinterpreted your original post.

#20 ·
Yeah I am not talking beating a dog with a 2x4 kind of pressure, I want a dog that you correct and you go on, not a dog that sits and sulks and it 15 minutes before we can move on. I am patient in my training of dogs, I don't mind if a dog makes a mistake as long as he keeps trying. I can work with a dog as long as he keeps trying and stubborn doesn't bother me either honestly. My big thing is I want the dog to keep trying, that way I can figure out how to get him to do what i need him too and he can figure out what I am trying to get him to do, then we both learn together. I am not the one size fits all type of person so I don't expect my dogs to be that way either. Most of what people consider bad things regarding the breed I am fine with.

Here's a couple question i have. Let me preface by saying I have always had studs, I have never owned a bitch and I have only hunted over one female lab in my life.
I am told that Chessies have a reputation for not being very good to hunt with other dogs? Is this a fairly true stereotype or is that more old breeding nature?
Now what would you say the difference in temperament would be between a female and male, also pro's and con's of one over the other.

#21 ·
I have a serious question, and please Chessie owners don't offense. Why choose a dog with that personality? Is it the challenge of training one that makes it appealing? If so, I get that. I have never been around CBR's so I really don't have an understanding of the breed. Thanks in advance for the insight.

#25 ·
I'm a chessie guy, so probably biased, but... they are the most loyal dogs you will ever see. It's often said they are a one-owner dog, meaning they bond tightly to one person and ignore everyone else. That's a bit of an overstatment but there is some truth to it, too. Chessies are also very protective, which many people confuse as being aggressive. I have a lab and two chessies, if a stranger comes to the house the lab jumps up and down in excitement and welcomes them with open arms. The chessie's? Well, let's just say they are a little less welcoming to strangers. But once they realize there is no threat, they are as friendly as can be. The other trait I love is their drive in the field. And by drive, I don't mean they just run fast and can't be steady on the line. They will not give up on a bird/bumper. Ever. I once threw a bumper for my male and it got stuck in a tree, high up out of sight. I had to put a lead on him to get him to leave the area. Went back to that location two days later, and he ran directly to the area and started searching. Their memnory is amazing, which can be a challenge at times. Chessies are not hard to train, but they are damned hard to re-train.

#23 ·
Dave, a Chessie is so very full of personality, that yes sometimes you are going to get extremes. Currently I have two labs and a chessie. I got the second lab because they really are easier to train, more forgiving. But if I were ever to get another pup, it will be a Chessie, since I have learned a little more. Mine is extremely smart, huge sense of humor, not the least bit soft or sulky, but will respond to a medium two on a TT ecollar for whatever you are correcting. Yes, you have to establish the proper pecking order, be in charge of all situations because if you don't he will. In public, our chessie is completely reliable with other dogs as long as they do not attack him. He is better than the other two because he has so much confidence. Doesn't worry. Just as in any other breed, I am sure there are lines that don't meet the standard. But after living with one, I hope never to be without a Chessie!

#28 ·
Dave,

Fair question.

I think those of us who have trained chessies are quick to point out significant differences from labs. It is easy to think of them as labs with a fuzzy coat on first appearence. They are not. Chessies, as a whole, tend to be much more serious dogs about everything in their life. As has been pointed out they can be difficult to re-train or 'fix' so it make life much easier to do things right the first time. Chessie have a sense of what they feel is fair and unfair when it comes to corrections. They do not like corrections they do not understand.

Like most things in life not everyone is looking for the same thing. Chessies add a spice to the retriever world.

When you look back at what the breed was developed to do it is not surprising they have some of the characteristics they have. Labs and chessies come from some of the same breeds of dogs. Labs were developed on the estates of England to retrieve gamebirds shot by gentlemen. Chessies were bred by the market hunters on the Chesapeake Bay. Chessies were expected to retrieve lots of birds in a relatively short time period often under harsh conditions. The dogs were then often left to guard the market hunters property until they retrurned from taking the ducks to market. A dog that was everybodies friend often resulted in stolen property.

Tom

#29 ·
Todd I agree can't feel a one. I've tried it since I used the Hillman method with my puppies but zero reaction. Keep in mind including myself that you are getting many opinions and one does not know what level they train their dogs or what they want from their dogs or what type of breeding they have. Take opinions with a grain of salt. Chessie like any other dog can be force fetched, collar conditioned, forced to the pile. The biggest problem in field trials and hunt tests for Chessies is there are just not many in those venues so most people don't get to see there performance. Many people just talk the talk and that is it. Your lucky if you see 3 Chessies running in any of these venues.

#31 ·
OK..I'll bite john...how'd it go.?

#32 ·
We've had Chesapeakes for well over 40 years now. I think we've had 14 so far. We've had about 50-50 on the sexes. My husband was a very ardent duck hunter and we started out with a female because our breeders, Nancy and Les Lowenthal, recommended that sex. Females can be great, loving, good to train or they can be hormonal depending on the heat cycles. If they are having a false pregnancy, they may not want to work so much. A spayed female is a wonderful hunting dog. Our males have been crazy to work, but sometimes a little over the top yet still loving. The best male we had was a very middle of the road guy who trained like a dream, calm with a gentle temperament. He finished the Master National and about 35 master hunt tests in his career. All the personalities are different. They are all individuals and they are smart. They make life fun! Enjoy the ride!

#33 ·
Over the years I've had both Labs & Chesapeakes. In the early 80's I was fortunate to have owned a male and female that were both great duck dogs. They were unrelated and the female Stoker's Tin Lizzie came from Chestnut Hills Kennel (definitely Show Bred), however they were easy to train, smart and serious to a fault. My best advise would be to choose a pup from a litter with all health clearances and then let your personal preferences help make the decision.

#34 ·
It is like any breed. You will get out of a Chessie what you put into it. I have two and hunt with labs, goldens, spaniels and others. Never had a problem with my dog. I have had other dog push mine far past what most would tolerate. I think the biggest thing for you is to remember SOCIALIZATION. get your dog into as many new situations as possible. Get them around kids, other dogs, cattle, Dogs, crowds and dogs. This is true with most breeds. Be fair and teach before you correct and you will be very happy with your choice.

Good luck

#35 ·
It is like any breed. You will get out of a Chessie what you put into it.
This is humorous to me because it echoes something my husband was told long ago. John's first two Chesapeakes, Buck and Pilot, were both bred from Alpine dogs. John was getting pretty serious about dogs and training, so he wrote to Fred Woodall to ask what he could expect from these two dogs. Woodall wrote back, saying,

"You will get out of these dogs EXACTLY what you put into them."

Amy Dahl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.