The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: eye contact ?

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    John is exactly correct. Mike and Andy made their claim to fame by taking soft mealy bitches and getting them to run hard and make field champions out of them. I can tell you, that just before Andy Attar went to line in the 4th series of an open, with Honor, to achieve his first open win, he fed him part of his sandwich!
    I tend to forget how long we have been putzing around this game. Like one big time NFC eating a bird on my watch judging her because of Oveban and the hormones out of wack or one two times NAFC breaking in the Open, then as a judge watched him break in the Amateur after the owners had already bought their tickets to the National or a NAFC blowing up in the second series of a Open I was judging and they had to go out and pick the dog up with a four wheeler, won the National Open a short time later. Watching a handler in a holding blind feeding dog bones waiting to run his NAFC. Watch a Two times National FC jump over a holding blind, two weeks after winning the National running a weekend trial....Yup have even fed my dogs in the holding blind a few times. I have seen Andy do it on more then one occasion, probably, Honor at the time. That's why Andy and Mike have had so much success with bitches they can "play to the dog" . Your correct back to the Music died on Facebook.
    Earl Dillow

Dave Rorem talks about using treats to improve focus in his high rollers. I suppose he doesn't count either .

Criquetpas, I enjoyed reading about your dogs.
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Dave Rorem talks about using treats to improve focus in his high rollers. I suppose he doesn't count either .

Criquetpas, I enjoyed reading about your dogs.
    I know Dave well, used to run the Iron Range and Duluth Circuit. Talked to him many times and remember when his daughter was a little one, my wife used to catch Bass at the Iron Range grounds with the kids.
    One of the best retriever trainers in the country. His handler DVD is well worth watching as well as the Carr and Rorem DVD's. I have judged him and he "practices what he preaches " , all real world stuff, not perfect world. Thanks for reading.
    Earl Dillow

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    Mike and Andy made their claim to fame by taking soft mealy bitches and getting them to run hard and make field champions out of them.
    Wait a second one can bribe females into doing things better; Where's protocol for this!!!; BRING ON THE CHEESE BALLS
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 02-03-2014 at 05:04 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Criquetpas View Post
    Hmm interesting! Lets see FC/AFC Mioak's Criquetpas (National Open Finalist), FC/AFC Morgan le Fae of Buckshot (170 open/all-age points Lardy's truck), FC/AFC/CFC Yo You Kaytee KK, FC/AFC Minare Risqué of Buckshot, FC Landover's Ms Mouse, FC/AFC Criquetpas Gettum Duke, to name just a few, were all trained with cut up hot dogs as treats until about three months old. How do I know because I fed them the hot dogs, owned or co-owned all of them , five of them through a Derby Career, two of them through their FC/AFC. Don't tell the Pros that eventualy trained them though, that they were fed pieces of hot dogs, especially Mike, Pat, Wayne, Andy, Jim you can fill in the last names....
    Stick that in your pipe and smoke it!!!!!!! BURN!!!!!! lol

Eye contact is a good thing; however it can be overdone.
    You don't want the dog trying to make eye contact with you when birds are going down or when you are lining them up for next mark; you want them looking out into the field

Quote Originally Posted by PatDuck View Post
    I made a lot of mistakes with my last dog as he was the first I have ever trained. One of my pet peeves with him is that when I sit him on the whistle when he gets off line of a downed bird, he will turn, sit and sometimes he is looking at everything but me. Drives me nuts but eventually he looks, then I cast him. I did some research and found some info on training eye contact. Some use clickers and treats and reward eye contact. Anyone tried training it? The only downfall I could see is if he is looking at you when he should be marking. I was thinking of teaching it with my new pup using the command "watch". That way if his eyes wander I can use it. Maybe im over thinking it. Just curious if any of you guys have tried teaching it? Thanks for any input
    You got a dog that is intrusted to you big time. There is nothing wrong with that. Just show that there are things out there besides you.

Quote Originally Posted by Backwater View Post
    So the experts here on RTF equate a cheese ball for a 12 weeks old pup, THE factor in their success? Also the question wasn't FC AFC is was NFC, just a little bit of a difference, but I could be wrong. I thought NFC was different then FC, maybe not.
    Not saying one should not praise their dogs, I sure do, have a box of biscuits in the truck all the time, but when it is business, there are no clickers, weenies, or taped episodes of "The View" on the truck.

"Don't tell me about your friend who thinks choke collars, heeling sticks, and electronic collars are cruel and unnecessary, so he uses weenies. He probably doesn't hunt, or else he has a dog that doesn't share our passion for October and all the birds that go it it", (Lardy, 2013, p. 4).

References
    Lardy, M. (2013). Basic Obediance. Training with Mike Lardy, 2, 4.
    I remember how it was back when I was just starting out. I read a couple books and was real good at quoting them. Boy it sure made me feel like I knew stuff. Ten years later and God knows how many days in the field training dogs, I realize that I still don't know crap. But at least I know enough now to know that I don't know.
    Last edited by Buzz; 02-04-2014 at 09:47 PM.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)