The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Designer Dog

Default Designer Dog

The "is there a best ever" thread gave me this idea - Design a dog from 8 great-grandparents (4 males x 4 bitches)
    that you would like to own &
    locate them in the pedigree, both times &
    state the reasons why this dog might be good &
    what issues you might run into during training .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Damn, I have a headache already Marvin
    Bill Davis

Must me snowed in and nothing to do.

Hmm Just looking at what's in most of mine, seems you got to have a little Harley Wilderness, a little Blue Thunder, a Bit of Way to Go rocky, and a Little Rambling Man(his bottom Candlewoods side is nice); One not in my pedigree who I liked the look of was Freehaven Muscles who's dad was an DC; I can only, say what I see in my mutts but(I'd assume we see intelligence, style, calmness, tractability and looks); somewhat late bloomers (but I'm not interested in derby), and sometimes accused of being softer, the smart one usually are .
    Girls (I don't really do research on girls, as I'm usually considering studs) But 2; I'd like to have seen more of Lottie and McBunn, I don't think you could've messed up a breeding for those two. I try to keep LM out of my lines, but I would've love to have those girls in there. Assume they would put forth (Drive and Style to go along with Smarts) Perfect package all things considered .
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 01-31-2014 at 05:18 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

this is easy pickings

my Sire would be the best marking dog I have ever seen and used to be considered arguably one of the best of his era...NAFC FC Ray's Rascal

and I would have

NFC NAFC 2XCNFC Wanapum Dart's Dandy- her accomplishments speak for themselves

the grandsire would be FC AFC Hiwood Clincher (Clint)- the reason being that Mr McFall told me that he was possibly the best dog he ever had, and considering he had FC AFC Hiwood Piper, and NAFC FC CNFC Piper's Pacer, then his word was good enough for me, and since he named the dog after my brother how could I not pick him

the grand dam would have to be Dual Ch AFC Royal Oaks Jill of Burgundy- she was a beautiful dog, and I like pretty gals...she could just happen to be one heck of a retriever too..she also brings her dad's Super Chief line to the party,along with doubling up on the NFC Cork of Oakwood Lane from her dam's side

third generation would be:

NFC AFC Royal Moose's Moe- he brings heart and desire to my mythical bloodline, the intangibles..the fact that he was trained by a couple of different men but won the national with an amateur WD Connor at the helm shows me those intangibles

his dam would be NAFC FC Kannonball Kate, whats not to like with Kate,she was darn near unbeatable except the year she had 17 places (77)

4th generation

might take some more thought and I have to work
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

There would have to be Patsies Thundercheif in there somewhere for me.It wasn't a matter of if he would line the bind,but when.Willowmounts El Diablo and of coarse Corky.
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

I prefer a smaller faster dog, it's just my opinion that they hold up an extra year or more.

For males - Paha Sapa Chief ( there seems to be 2 outcomes from breedings, larger & small), Butte's Blue Moon (a great marking dog & that's others opinion as well), Honcho (I've never seen a bad Honcho Pup), Corky, Ray's Rascal (again a great marking dog), Mitch of Bitterroot (a brother to Lucky), Cougar's Rocket, Code Blue & my own dog Rip.

Females - Michelle, Dandy, Oscar's Petite Lightning, Nakai Anny, Marten's Black Powder Kate, Showthyme, Carroll's Black Velvet, Sparkle Plenty of Horn Creek.

The one's in red I have more than a casual acquaintance with having been in a training group with them, Campaigned against them extensively, or Judged them. From here I will pick 4 of each, need a little time to think that through .

Marvin S

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Sire either Ironwood Tarnation or Super Chief
    Dam Lottie

Wonder how the combination would work?
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    I prefer a smaller faster dog, it's just my opinion that they hold up an extra year or more.

For males - Paha Sapa Chief ( there seems to be 2 outcomes from breedings, larger & small), Butte's Blue Moon (a great marking dog & that's others opinion as well), Honcho (I've never seen a bad Honcho Pup), Corky, Ray's Rascal (again a great marking dog), Mitch of Bitterroot (a brother to Lucky), Cougar's Rocket, Code Blue & my own dog Rip.

Females - Michelle, Dandy, Oscar's Petite Lightning, Nakai Anny, Marten's Black Powder Kate, Showthyme, Carroll's Black Velvet, Sparkle Plenty of Horn Creek.

The one's in red I have more than a casual acquaintance with having been in a training group with them, Campaigned against them extensively, or Judged them. From here I will pick 4 of each, need a little time to think that through .
    How about any of the Bigstone dogs Marvin?Back in the day he was quite the dog....We had a couple out of him ,One was FC AFC Dall Chopper of Blackwatch. Bigstone Flint ,sorry.......reason I asked most we had here out of him were on the smaller side? Jim
    Last edited by jd6400; 02-01-2014 at 10:25 AM.
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    How about any of the Bigstone dogs Marvin?Back in the day he was quite the dog....We had a couple out of him ,One was FC AFC Dall Chopper of Blackwatch. Bigstone Flint ,sorry.......reason I asked most we had here out of him were on the smaller side? Jim
    Unlike many on these forums who only know a dog from what they read, I try to stick with what I've seen in the flesh. Even the dogs that show as black in my proposed pedigree are typed by having seen either their sire or their progeny. Bigstone to me was just an ad in many of the popular hunting magazines "HOME of 13 FC's & breeder of 1962 NFC Bigstone Hope", if my memory serves me. Had I stayed in SD rather than coming to the NW part of the country I probably would have been a disciple of Lawrence Martens as the dogs I saw exhibited with his name seem to follow a type that I liked. My 1st exposure to labs was a dog we picked up running loose on the Res in ND. Knowing what I know today I would venture he was a Martens dog.

There were local breeders when I got into the business that did the same. Lucky, Moon & Baird's Centerville Sam were all out of MT at about the same time & touched by a local breeder named Henry Seidel.

IMO, one of the major disservices done to the breed & having a wide ranging gene pool is the ability to breed large numbers of dogs from one "Flavor of the Year" sire. I thought it to be able to go into an area to run a trial or two & see what was being bred locally & to see how they performed. Some local blood lines were very impressive. They've mostly fell by the wayside with modern practices.

Marvin S