The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Swollen saliva gland

Default Swollen saliva gland

Has anyone ever dealt with a swollen saliva gland in one of their dogs? I was working with my 16 month old female lab this morning and noticed a large golfball size lump under her jaw in her neck. I called the vet right away and went in. They of course thought it was 5 different things until they put a needle into it and sucked out saliva. The vet said it happens from a damaged duct in her mouth from something like chewing on a bone. His suggestion was to wait a few days to see if it went down on it's own, otherwise he said surgery was necessary to remove the gland since the duct is no longer functional. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I had a dog with a saliva gland problem. They just sutured it open and antibiotics.
    deb

The vet did not give me antibiotics today. Just said to wait a few days and see if it heals on it's own, otherwise to make an appointment for surgery to remove the gland.

I have a dog with the same problem. She has had antibiotics and the swelling seems to come and go. It does not seem to bother her at all but at times the lump is very noticeable. She goes back today for a recheck and the vet is going to pull some fluid again from the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stoune View Post
    I have a dog with the same problem. She has had antibiotics and the swelling seems to come and go. It does not seem to bother her at all but at times the lump is very noticeable. She goes back today for a recheck and the vet is going to pull some fluid again from the site.
    Bill, how did your appointment go? My girl's lump seems to go down and get softer, however it still a very noticeable lump. I got a second opinion from a well trusted vet I went to for years before moving and she said that it would not heal on it's own and that having it removed was probably the best as long as the vet is capable. I have not called the vet to make an appointment yet, still waiting to see what happens.

She had fluid taken again from the site, blood and saliva with no infection. We have decided to sedate her and drain the site completely to try to dry it up. She goes in on Thursday for that procedure. It still does not bother her but it is still very noticeable.

I went through this about 5 years ago with one of my males. Antibiotics and it went away in about 4 weeks. Never returned and no surgery needed.
    Denise Jepson
    Centerfield Retrievers

Five Star Fielders Choice MH
    Centerfields My-Oh-My SH
    Centerfields Waterfowl Wizard

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference! -Winston Churchill
    There's those that just TALK about doin' it and those that just DO IT!