RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Rowdy (by Pirate) delayed triple, etc., this morning

15K views 81 replies 25 participants last post by  John Lash 
#1 · (Edited)
http://youtu.be/T0-kyE9XYqs
This morning we ran a delayed triple. M1-150 yds, M2-160 yds (angled back), M3-80 yds, B1-160 yds, B2-200 yds. Order was M1, M3, M2, B1, B2. B1 is on top of the levee (about 3-4 ft. high). B2 is about 30-40 yds behind the levee.

Wind was at my back but slightly quartering to my right. There is a pretty severe drop off about halfway to M1 and M2. Not sure if dog could actually see the duck hit the ground. I did not use any primers in deference to the dry conditions (snow expected Sun).

On the go bird when I put my hand down I accidently said "Shadow" and he didn't flinch. I was proud of him.

I spent too much time trying to fine tune his line on B1 and I got some avoidance. His first look out was the best one and I should have sent him.
I got a cast refusal on B2 and then used voice to try and get him over the levee. But he stopped on top of the levee like where he found B1. I guess that was expecting too much.

He did very good on ignoring the diversion.

Not every day has to be perfect for the dog and handler to learn something.

As always constructive comments are welcome.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks, switched to public. Dumb me I didn't even know there was such a thing as private mode.

#6 · (Edited)
Wayne, Love your work with your dogs and now I hope you can help me out.WITHOUT gundog now for over a year and my life feels empty.I have had 2 great labs but there lives are to short and hurtful when it comes to an end.Now my first lab ruby was out of marathon man and she was wound tight ft people loved her.I need some advise on what type of breeding I should be looking for.Iam getting older now and I need a line that is not so high strung.Will train for hunt test,hunting and best buddy.I remember watching md Houston run,not the fastest but the smartest.Need some advise. thanks

#7 · (Edited)
Jakeruby, I like the bitch Cha Cha a lot. And I like Pirate a lot too. Both these dogs are pretty calm. Castile Creek kennels has a breeding of Cha Cha and Grady which I think would
be good.
Pirate (FC AFC Land Ahoy) has a web site and lists
some breedings.
There are some videos of Cha Cha winning the SRS crown championship on YouTube. There are some of Pirate winning a field trial on YouTube also.
A word of caution, these pups are pretty expensive.

Hope this helps.
Edit: Cha and Grady pups are due in March .

#9 ·
Here is the old man Shadow (by Patton) running the same setup. Look at that butt snapping at the duck (second retrieve) when I took it. Watch my left hand closely on the next delivery. Shadow is starting to slow down.
http://youtu.be/RZ2zAHcyAxk

#11 ·
Sorry. Now public

#14 ·
I also forgot, thanks wayne I love the videos. wish I could shoot some of my set ups. I have a go pro and 2 other video cameras I just never seem to get the shots to be good for viewing. I do video most of my ht runs with my glasses.

#16 ·
Wayne, here's a challenge for your next video.
When you walk up and sit your dog on line, DO NOT take your eyes off of your dogs eyes from the time you come to line until you send for go bird. This includes looking at (fumbling with) the transmitter. You know where the marks are, and what transmitter # launches each station. If you have a tritronix the wheel click 1, 2, 3 without having to look.
Anyway, the important thing is the dog and knowing where THEY are looking etc. No need for you to look out into the field except briefly when lining dog up and maybe a glance if you must when shot goes off.
Give it a try.
Even at an event there is no need to look out as marks are being shot except for the flyer.
Watch your dog.

#17 ·
Breck, Thanks for the comments. I have a new transmitter. TT green one. The wheel selector is smaller than my previous black PL model and I am still trying to get used to it. Gundog, you are correct.
I learn a lot from watching my videos and from the comments I receive.
Thx.

#18 ·
OK Wayne,
Watch your Dog
also review vid when lining dog up for 1st blind. What was dog communicating to you on line?

#19 · (Edited)
Rowdy was confused for some reason and was not sure of what I wanted.
It was not like him.

#20 ·
Breck, Trying to get something out of a weathered in day. Practicing looking at dog and operating TT transmitter for wingers. I went through three winger stations forward and backwards. The sound doesn't work on my 4th release. After working on this for a while the selector wheel has loosened up a bit. Thanks for the comment.
http://youtu.be/HDq0ESqhA7s

#21 ·
Now you're cooking with gas. If you can hold transmitter to your outside out of dogs vision all the better.

#24 ·
Rowdy has two senior passes. Shadow is HRCH.

#27 ·
Oh I forgot to mention Wayne.
Based on the 1st video of the interrupted triple an 2 blinds I would enter and run that dog in the next 2 or 3 Quals near you.

#28 ·
Could you please explain how this is a "delayed" triple? Maybe I don't know what I'm looking at here, and its been a long time since I have run any, but doesn't delayed mean that you interrupt the series of marks with at least one blind? He did pick up all 3 marks first, right? My only "suggestion" would be to leave the bird in his mouth until you have him looking at the next mark. Seemed a little quick to take it away. Rowdy is looking good though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.