The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Walkie talkies

Default Walkie talkies

I'd appreciate any input. looking for simple, durable and expandable Walky talkies that won't break the bank. What do you all use ?

Motorola, dependable and gets the job done at a reasonable cost.

Irishwhistler

Having hunted lions and bears for a period... we used two way radios alot.. my advice would be Icom v82 has three TX levels and with a simple mod you can use the MURS frequencies. oh gosh.... I just noticed they are discontinued....

What do you use the radios for?

Distance? Should be fairly simple to find a solution ....

Steve Lithgow
    Las Cruces, NM
    "The thing that makes them good... is the thing that makes them bad" ~Pete Richardson Marble Mtn Walkers, Vermont
    "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.... " ~Ron Schaitel
    "What's the difference between a pro and an amateur..... ""About a tenth of a second"" ~Bill Gibbons
    "Ugh... my dog broke....! ""There's never been one worth a flip that hasn't"" ~John Steger

do a search on walkie talkies or radios. There have been several threads on this subject. I use Midland radios and have been very happy with them.

Motorola talkabout's for all kinds of things.
    vehicle to vehicle when convoying to hunting.

I`ve heard of a walkie talkie app for cell phones,never tried it though.....

Just wouldnt seem right yelling at people over walkie talkies or phones anyway Jim
    Last edited by jd6400; 02-01-2014 at 08:43 AM.
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

I used the Motorolas for years. About 3/4 of the way through the day the rechargeable batteries would get low and start chirping at me. When I replaced them I tried the Midland GXT "Xtra Talk." They're a little bigger than the Motorolas but the battery life is much longer. Easily lasts all day so far.
    I bought 2 radios with a charger and batteries for $58 new in the box on ebay, about a year ago.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

If you are just looking for some to use for dog training, I recommend you get something simple. These happen to also be cheap!

I have a pair of Cobras that I got at Target for under $50. They have lasted through 2 training seasons so far. I use lithium batteries in them, the rechargeables don't hold enough charge.

One thing I don't like about them is that they sometimes miss the first part of what people are saying but if the group just holds the button down an extra second before they speak,no problem. Otherwise they are perfect for dog training.

I had fancy ones with lots of functions. None of them lasted. The midlands I had, which some recommend on threads here, were particularly horrible because it was easy to hit the wrong button on them, and change some fundamental function that I would then have to waste a bunch of time trying to undo!

So go simple!
    Last edited by mitty; 02-01-2014 at 09:19 AM.
    Renee P

Thanks for the input, they will be for dog training mostly. But I'm sure the gran kids will dig them out.