The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Opinions on name change.

Default Opinions on name change.

2 year old dog. Not sure that he even knows his name. He does not seem to respond like my dogs do when I call them by thier name. Has anyone ever changed a dogs name & had good results wit it?

I have a dog from my own litter that I called Pup-pup for over 3 years. Changed his name to Happy - seemed to respond in 2 to 3 days & reliably after 2 weeks. Did not seem to be a problem. He knew Pup-pup to start with though........ sounds like there may be other issues. Retrain keeping EVERYTHING positive, happy () and up beat - use food to start with if you feel necessary. I don't name my dogs until something strikes me as being "right". Usually takes about 10 months - just me and my quirks. Not one of my dogs have had their call name right away. Have a female right now that will be a year old on Feburary 5th with current call name of "Trouble" - it might just stay. Good luck and have fun!
    Last edited by Chuck Ward; 01-31-2014 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Added Trouble

They learn new names quick. If you can give him a name similar to the one he has, great. If not, no big problem. Just use it a lot! Combine his current name, like "Jake", and say "Jake-Jack" or Jake-Blake, etc... gradually dropping the first one.
    I took a 'rescue' in a year or so ago, he came with Duke, I changed it to Brick, and then his new owners changed it to Brutus!
    He adapted fine......
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

We have one right now that had a call name change
    "Kid" was "Cope" and we changed his call name when he was 2

Kid was returned from our litter. We bought the dog back.
    Anyway he was in the airing yard and would not come, Marty said something like " the kid wont come" he bounded right up on Kid. It stuck.

Best wishes if you change.
    Dk

yes x4
    changed a Toby to Scooby Do
    not an issue.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

I've done it a bunch with rescue dogs, many of whom don't have a name that I know of. They pick up on it pretty quickly - a few days to a couple weeks at most. And I've kept old rescues that have the same name as one of my dogs, and changed their name to a subtle difference, like Molly to Dolly, Ginger to Gigi, and they learned their names quickly, even with another dog around that had their original name.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki Malarky View Post
    2 year old dog. Not sure that he even knows his name. He does not seem to respond like my dogs do when I call them by thier name. Has anyone ever changed a dogs name & had good results wit it?
    Like lots of folks have already written, it's no big deal to change a dog's callname. Especially a young one. It should be a breeze.

I'm assuming this is a 2 year old dog that someone else named, but someone else (whoever had the dog) really did not adequately train the dog. If that's the case, I think a new call name is an even better idea. The old call name, if the dog does not respond due to poor or non-existent training, is probably a background noise.

Introducing a new call name may be a GREAT idea!

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

If you want to do a slow transition, you can say the new name FIRST followed by the old name. A much quicker way of doing it is to take 10 SMALL pieces of a yummy treat (kibble works fine if they're super food motivated), sit the dog in front of you, say "name" and immediately give treat.... repeat for all 10 treats. Do this 3-4 times a day and you'll have a dog that responds to that new name in less than a day

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    Like lots of folks have already written, it's no big deal to change a dog's callname. Especially a young one. It should be a breeze.

I'm assuming this is a 2 year old dog that someone else named, but someone else (whoever had the dog) really did not adequately train the dog. If that's the case, I think a new call name is an even better idea. The old call name, if the dog does not respond due to poor or non-existent training, is probably a background noise.

Introducing a new call name may be a GREAT idea!

Chris
    You hit it exactly Chris, He just don't like the name the previous ownergave him & he has a name that he has always wanted to use plus he really likes this dog. Thanks everyone for your help.