The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: Should the NFL keep its tax exempt status?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the NFL keep its tax exemption!

    4 14.81%
  • No, the NFL should not be tax exempt!

    23 85.19%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 46

Thread: Should the NFL have a non profit tax exemption?

  1. #11
    Senior Member zeus3925's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    West Twin Cities Metro, MN
    Posts
    2,049

    Default

    The NFL makes money in its own rights through franchise fees, TV rights and advertising. That $9.5 billion is exclusive of any the franchises make on their own. Throw those figures in and the numbers are really huge. The NFL is a business just like GE or Exxon. They are privately owned entity whose motivation is profit. As such they should not enjoy any privilege that does not extend to other private ventures.

    Any large company brings jobs and money when it locates in a city. It does it on its own dime and it pays taxes, unlike the NFL.

    The NFL is really the big hog at the trough. Besides the tax exempt status the league is prone to extorting money out of state and local governments to build them a new plant every 20 years. They threaten to take the team elsewhere. A panic stricken fan base then joins them in pressuring government into building them, what is in effect, a present to the NFL -- at a billion dollars a pop. They care not for the condition of governmental coffers or the tax payers wallet.

    I say tax the bastards!
    Zeus

    I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

  2. #12
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    The NFL makes money in its own rights through franchise fees, TV rights and advertising. That $9.5 billion is exclusive of any the franchises make on their own. Throw those figures in and the numbers are really huge. The NFL is a business just like GE or Exxon. They are privately owned entity whose motivation is profit. As such they should not enjoy any privilege that does not extend to other private ventures.

    Any large company brings jobs and money when it locates in a city. It does it on its own dime and it pays taxes, unlike the NFL.

    The NFL is really the big hog at the trough. Besides the tax exempt status the league is prone to extorting money out of state and local governments to build them a new plant every 20 years. They threaten to take the team elsewhere. A panic stricken fan base then joins them in pressuring government into building them, what is in effect, a present to the NFL -- at a billion dollars a pop. They care not for the condition of governmental coffers or the tax payers wallet.

    I say tax the bastards!
    Come on Sarge... You guys on the left say that about your grandma.
    Bill Davis

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pac NW
    Posts
    4,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    I don't believe there should be any tax exemptions.
    The basis of my vote - regardless of level of income. Same as entitlements .
    __________________________

    Marvin S

    Everyone's friend is No One's friend

    Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

  4. #14
    Senior Member brian breuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Minot, ND
    Posts
    479

    Default

    The real tax payer shake down is happening to St Louis and Minneapolis with the threat of teams leaving unless the city/state fork out public $ for a stadium. The stadium that provides the vast majority of benefit to one corporation. There is no reason for public funds to support these kind of real estate deals.

    Don't even get me started on college athletics. That is only a slightly smaller racket run by a phenomenally hypocritical cartel. At least the pro sports are fairly straight forward in their extortion.

  5. #15
    Senior Member roseberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    1,916

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    I say tax the bastards!
    wow?

    though i am not an nfl fan, i sometimes enjoy the product. i wouldn't consider those who provide the pro football product "bastards". i can't understand why anyone else would?

    as a matter of principal i have never once voted in favor of any tax/tax increase on myself. so as not to be hypocritical, i have never voted for any tax/tax increase on anyone else either. i voted no here. i respect the tax exempt status the nfl has obtained to be a move of "good business" and i hope they get to keep it forever. whether it is pete roselle, paul tagliabu or who ever it is now, i trust their use and distribution of whatever monies they have obtained far better than if it were in the hands of our government.

    there is a very high likelihood the nfl will spend their money in a way i approve.
    there is no chance the federal government will spend the nfl's money in a way that i approve.

    the nfl aint never taken a dime from me. but the other bastards............
    john mccallie

  6. #16
    Senior Member swampcollielover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    1,535

    Default

    John McCallie...as already noted above, Zenus and others like him would "say that about your grandma"

    But I agree with your comments about how out of line he was.....

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SW Minnesota
    Posts
    1,995

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brian breuer View Post
    The real tax payer shake down is happening to St Louis and Minneapolis with the threat of teams leaving unless the city/state fork out public $ for a stadium. The stadium that provides the vast majority of benefit to one corporation. There is no reason for public funds to support these kind of real estate deals.

    Don't even get me started on college athletics. That is only a slightly smaller racket run by a phenomenally hypocritical cartel. At least the pro sports are fairly straight forward in their extortion.
    The beauty of the whole deal was referendum after referendum to build a stadium for the Twins were overwhelmingly voted down by the tax payer. the Independent Governor at the time said he would veto any attempts to override the tax payer. The second the Rep. Governor Pawlenty took over, he pushed through the stadium bill to provide welfare for billionaires at the tax payer expense, followed shortly by the Democrats doing the same with the Vikings stadium. The Republicans pushed through a bill running around the referendum necessary to get the stadium built, the Republicans knew that the voters would never allow that type of waste so they removed the voters from the equation. Both parties share equal blame, both parties were bought off by big money and refused to do would the voters asked. The only one who made a firm stand with the voters was the Independent Governor.

  8. #18
    Senior Member Matt McKenzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    1,630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    Ever get tired of being on the wrong side Bill?

    i think tax exempt status should be disallowed, period. If you're in business and you make money, pay your tax.
    On this we can agree. In fact, let's eliminate all tax breaks, period, individual or corporate. All they do is allow the government to manipulate our behavior and allow politicians to purchase votes. Let's go to a flat tax (or even better, the FairTax) for individuals and a basic corporate rate for all corporations. No special breaks, no government incentives, none of it. No EIC, no child tax exemption, no difference between married and single, no write-off for mortgage interest, none of it. Let's keep the rate the same for everyone and let the chips fall where they may. What do you think?
    Matt McKenzie

    It takes as long as it takes. Sometimes longer.

    "It is better to own a $50,000 dog and have an old truck and crummy equipment than to own $50,000 worth of new equipment and a crummy dog..." EdA

  9. #19
    Senior Member Henlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    800

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    The NFL makes money in its own rights through franchise fees, TV rights and advertising. That $9.5 billion is exclusive of any the franchises make on their own. Throw those figures in and the numbers are really huge. The NFL is a business just like GE or Exxon. They are privately owned entity whose motivation is profit. As such they should not enjoy any privilege that does not extend to other private ventures.

    Any large company brings jobs and money when it locates in a city. It does it on its own dime and it pays taxes, unlike the NFL.

    The NFL is really the big hog at the trough. Besides the tax exempt status the league is prone to extorting money out of state and local governments to build them a new plant every 20 years. They threaten to take the team elsewhere. A panic stricken fan base then joins them in pressuring government into building them, what is in effect, a present to the NFL -- at a billion dollars a pop. They care not for the condition of governmental coffers or the tax payers wallet.

    I say tax the bastards!
    That would be the argument to sway my opinion.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

  10. #20
    Senior Member zeus3925's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    West Twin Cities Metro, MN
    Posts
    2,049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Come on Sarge... You guys on the left say that about your grandma.
    No right or left on this issue--only up or down.
    Zeus

    I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •