The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: How far back does a pedigree matter?

Default How far back does a pedigree matter?

I have been doing a little study into my dogs parents pedigrees and come to find out his mom comes from a great line of old FCs. My question is how many generations back truly matter. I understand that recent generations matter as some of the later traits and characteristics could have been "bred out" through the generations, or am I wrong on my thought process? How far back does the pedigree matter?

My question is spurred because I looked further down the line and saw he was a descendant of NFC NAFC Canldewood's Super Tanker, but that is 5 generations back.

It's I guess a legit question that myself and others have answered many times. High School Genetics, Mendel's Law. Sire and Dam 50% Grandparents 25% Fourth Generation 12.5 %, fifth generation 6.5%, all averages applied to humans also. So in general terms 93.75 % contribute to the pedigree where the fifth generation contributes about 6.25%, to the traits, instincts and make up of your dog. Then the next question would be what percentage would filter down to your fifth generation ancestor. That are the hard cold facts of a pedigree! He is %50. what his mama and daddy are 25% of grandma and grandpa, so 75% of what the dog is are six dogs, downhill from there. Many including myself, buy a pedigree for the most part and try to look for undesirable traits in the sire and dam, if there are any. Now just look at the dog as an individual, rather then do you have another "Tank" in the pedigree. By the way had a Tank daughter, who went on to become my FC/AFC, first generation.
    Earl Dillow

Makes sense, I've read look at the pedigree before you buy the dog, and I understand what to look for but just wasn't sure how far you wanted that FC AFC line to run? So basically what I'm understanding from your post is, you look at the pedigree (focusing on the first couple of generations), then check out Sire and Dam to see if there's anything you don't like about them? What kind of "undesirable" traits are you looking for? Sorry for the questions. Just an eager mind that loves to learn!!

Personally, I give very little thought to the grandparents & nothing past that. I look @ the dam & then the sire. The apple usually doesn't fall far from the tree. Of course there are obvious exceptions. Again, that's just IMO.
    Last edited by Jacob Hawkes; 02-01-2014 at 06:10 PM.

[QUOTE=Jacob Hawkes;1184326]Personally, I give very little thought to the grandparents & nothing past that. I look @ the dam & then the sire. The apple usually doesn't fall far from the tree. Of course there are obvious exceptions. Again, that's just IMO.[/QUOT

LOTS of FC/or AFCs have come from breedings sired by FC/AFC sires out of untitled bitches with fantastic pedigrees backed up by SOLID bitch lines.

Quite a few crazy talented bitches never get the chance to FC or AFC.
    Last edited by David Maddox; 02-01-2014 at 08:19 PM.
    We are only as good as those that surround us.

Birthplace to:
    •FC-BAYOU TECHE TEX-'09 Nat'l Finalist
    •FC-BUTCH's DREAM CODE of TCR-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (•FC-"FINN",QAA-"Coal"-MNHofF, QAAs-"Tank", QAA-"Allie", MH-"Tease", QAA-"Hardy", MNH-Ruby)

RIP Sweet mama Dancy!!!

I never said the bitch had to be titled. I merely said I look @ the bitch 1st & then the sire.

When buying a pup, I too want to know as much about the bitch as I can, but dont discount a solid bitch line. It can speak volumes!!!
    An old timer told me many years ago that "you can find many things hidden back in that bitch line". I believed him.
    Last edited by David Maddox; 02-01-2014 at 08:40 PM.
    We are only as good as those that surround us.

Birthplace to:
    •FC-BAYOU TECHE TEX-'09 Nat'l Finalist
    •FC-BUTCH's DREAM CODE of TCR-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (•FC-"FINN",QAA-"Coal"-MNHofF, QAAs-"Tank", QAA-"Allie", MH-"Tease", QAA-"Hardy", MNH-Ruby)

RIP Sweet mama Dancy!!!

A solid bitch line speaks volumns.
    Bingo. And it's not just the big name bitches. I can think of several 100pt females that haven't thrown near as good of pups as you would expect.

Deeeep bottom side matters.