The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Balance

Default Balance

How do you as trainers balance the "no" of teaching a pup or young dog to be a good citizen, with the "go" so desired in a retriever?

Cultivate the go and then install the whoa.

Get a lot of "go" before you worry about the "no."

Of course you can't let them bite you or run away. You have to have some control, but let them be full of themselves and rarin' to go. You have to control the undesireable behavior subtly. Always err on the side of too little than a heavy handed correction. I think many dogs don't reach their potential at trials but are real good at sitting and heeling.

Don't worry about the heel and sit that so many subscribe to. Get them out, get them to the line by holding their collar, squat down and hold them around the chest and let 'em go just before the bumper hits the ground. If they want to go and they learn to mark well you can always get them to stop later.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Marshall View Post
    Cultivate the go and then install the whoa.
    Perfect.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

This pup seems to have all the go I could ever want installed from birth. Maybe I am just too uptight for this. My first priority with this pup is to have a well behaved member of the family. I know I can do that. I was under the impression that obedience was the basis of retriever training. My thought process was, focus on obedience until it is absolutely rock solid. Do it in such a way as to not inhibit the natural retrieving instincts and work ethic already in my pup. Then if we are both still alive and willing, help her to cultivate those talents as well. I have already introduced her to bird wings for example, even though I don't know if we will ever make it that far in our training.
    I see a lot of promise in her already. The problem is that the more I read here about "fire breathers" and " getting a lot of go, before worrying about no", it makes me wonder if my plan is doomed. I have only been ruff with her once or twice when she got way too snappy with my kids, she doesn't need a heavy hand. She does however "forget" what is expected of her, she is a puppy she is learning and testing, I get it, but it seems her life is filled with me telling her "no". We have been using "mine" for a leave it command. This dog must think I own everything in the world! She wants everything she can't have. I was just curious about how achieving the well mannered dog that I want now, will affect the retriever I would like later.
    I expect my Smartworks set to be here Mon. and my Dogtra 1900ncp came today. I found a local club to potentially join and train with. I am on my way with this journey. I am just so focused on not having everything I own and gave life to, chewed to bits and peed on, that I wonder how I can possibly try to cultivate more "go" at the same time.

It would be helpful if you would tell us how old your pup is and what your goals are with the dog. Until knowing those things my advise would be to socialize and have fun with your pup. Second, don't even open the box on the e collar, just put it in the drawer for now, and third, watch the videos and come up with a plan before you start trying to formalize anything.