The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: This morning

  1. #11
    Senior Member Andy Carlson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Otis, ME
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Cool pics!!
    Andy

    "You can't win until you are not afraid to lose."

    Luckydux Cheese And Quackers CD MH - Briezy (7/20/99-4/4/14)
    FTCH AFTCH Luckydux Drakehaven Hot Ticket*** - Ticket
    Luckydux Gave Her Momma Forty Quacks - Lizzie
    Luckydux Quacker Jaxx WC JH - Jaxxy
    Luckydux Graham Quacker WC JH -Graham
    Luckydux Penny In A Parking Lot - Penny

  2. #12
    Senior Member HPL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Coastal Bend of Texas
    Posts
    2,734

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Brakke View Post
    I will stick with spectacular, again call it luck or skill, you captured the drip stream off the bill and then the prior drip in a sphere just above the water. I like pictures or paintings that have a subject then something in the background or on the subject that you did not see initially just jumps out at you. Kind of a dual subject pic.

    Bet you can not reproduce that drip in 1000 more pics. Good job.
    Challenge accepted.











    If I couldn't capture that on purpose, or at least know how to look for the opportunity and increase the odds, that would mean the shot was not a "good job" but simply an accident. Most good shots have at least some forethought involved . When shooting around water, the water itself often becomes an important component of the shot.

    HPL
    Last edited by HPL; 02-02-2014 at 09:59 AM.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

    Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

    Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

    www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pac NW
    Posts
    4,204

    Default

    I have a home made pond i used for basics - about an acre, varying depths. It's been around since 1998. Every morning I walk my dog (now only a Mini Pinscher) around it. Depending on the season & the migratory patterns there are anywhere from 60-100 ducks & on occasion as high as 100 geese. The ones that have been here before will allow me (no strangers) to walk the entire pond without moving other than to swim to the opposite side. It probably doesn't hurt that I feed them some in the winter months to keep their energy up.

    There is a honker here that has, at a distance, no white mask. Up close you can see a faint outline. I enjoy the occasional white front that comes. I think widgeon are really neat & were I younger I would get a carving of a pair to enjoy in my leisure. 2 years ago there was a eurasian widgeon that hung with the flock. & on occasion there will be a woodcock. About 10 years ago we had a real snowstorm & the only open area with somewhere to stick their bill was on the pond, there must have been 20 woodcocks in a small area & they were not as wary as normal.

    Your photography looks interesting - we also sit in the foothills so see some spectacular sunrises that are never the same.
    __________________________

    Marvin S

    Everyone's friend is No One's friend

    Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Hugh,
    Great work!

    Irishwhistler

  5. #15
    Senior Member HPL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Coastal Bend of Texas
    Posts
    2,734

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    I have a home made pond i used for basics - about an acre, varying depths. It's been around since 1998. Every morning I walk my dog (now only a Mini Pinscher) around it. Depending on the season & the migratory patterns there are anywhere from 60-100 ducks & on occasion as high as 100 geese. The ones that have been here before will allow me (no strangers) to walk the entire pond without moving other than to swim to the opposite side. It probably doesn't hurt that I feed them some in the winter months to keep their energy up.



    There is a honker here that has, at a distance, no white mask. Up close you can see a faint outline. I enjoy the occasional white front that comes. I think widgeon are really neat & were I younger I would get a carving of a pair to enjoy in my leisure. 2 years ago there was a eurasian widgeon that hung with the flock. & on occasion there will be a woodcock. About 10 years ago we had a real snowstorm & the only open area with somewhere to stick their bill was on the pond, there must have been 20 woodcocks in a small area & they were not as wary as normal.

    Your photography looks interesting - we also sit in the foothills so see some spectacular sunrises that are never the same.
    I think that our wetland is only about 1/3 ac. I determined the width by viewing decoys through my big lens so that the distances would be close enough to keep the subjects within range. We might have made the length longer but I didn't want to give the birds the option of being too far away AND the evaporation rate is pretty extreme in the summer, so keeping a larger pond flooded would probably be cost prohibitive.

    Here are three more shots.





    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

    Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

    Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

    www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Mid Missouri
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Nice shots. Its a great feeling when you build an area like that and see the ducks start using it. "If you build it, they will come"

  7. #17
    Senior Member HPL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Coastal Bend of Texas
    Posts
    2,734

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PatDuck View Post
    Nice shots. Its a great feeling when you build an area like that and see the ducks start using it. "If you build it, they will come"
    I have written before about the "Coastal Bend Wildlife Photo Contest" in which I have been a regular participant. The property where I compete is only about 145 ac and not very diverse. One aspect of being successful in the contest (which has about 56 categories) is working on a property that offers diversity. The easiest way I could think of to add diversity to this property was to create a shallow wetland. We are in a near desert but also the destination of lots of migratory birds including waterfowl, shorebirds, and wading birds. Within a week of putting water in the wetland I had picked up nearly a dozen species new to the property, mostly shorebirds. The wetland turned out to be a success. I had a first place duck photo, a first place bobcat photo (came to attempt to catch a whistling duck), and a deer photo, a least sandpiper photo, a tiger beetle photo, and a grasshopper photo, all taken at or around the wetland, that placed in the contest. Water in a near desert is a miraculous thing.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

    Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

    Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

    www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

  8. #18
    Senior Member dogcommand's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    995

    Default

    You take really wonderful pictures, thanks for sharing them with us.
    "I love the winning, I can take the losing, but most of all I love to play"

  9. #19
    Senior Member Erin Lynes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Quesnel, B.C.
    Posts
    723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Brakke View Post
    I will stick with spectacular, again call it luck or skill, you captured the drip stream off the bill and then the prior drip in a sphere just above the water. I like pictures or paintings that have a subject then something in the background or on the subject that you did not see initially just jumps out at you. Kind of a dual subject pic.

    Bet you can not reproduce that drip in 1000 more pics. Good job.
    I agree - and can't wait to see photos that YOU think are spectacular Hugh!
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

    Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC SGDC MGDC MSDC MSCDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber, Verona, Missie, Jackie,
    Victor CRNCL, Jet, Glitzy CRNMCL SGDC, Harvey & Viper
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

  10. #20
    Senior Member HPL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Coastal Bend of Texas
    Posts
    2,734

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erin Lynes View Post
    I agree - and can't wait to see photos that YOU think are spectacular Hugh!
    Thanks! If you want to see some of the images I envy, you can find them right here on this forum. Todd Caswell and Tony Zappia consistently post wonderful images of dogs, and "Beezleydogs" posted a spectacular dog in the field shot. SandyG posted some very nice studio images and Mark Lasnek (Handler Error) has some incredible waterfowl shots. If you really want to see spectacular, try this site: http://www.joelsartore.com/galleries/ Probably about my favorite animal photographer at the moment.

    Here's another great one: http://www.marklaita.com/animals.php

    Thanks again!
    Last edited by HPL; 02-02-2014 at 06:13 PM.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

    Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

    Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

    www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •