The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help

Default Need help

I have purchased a puppy in March from a reputable breeder. She is an English bred lab and she has been in training for three months. She had some basic training with the breeder before she got here. Trainer called me last week and said he was concerned with her marking ability and maybe I should get an eye cerf done. She always seems to loose the marks once they get beyond about 50 yards. So I get the eye check done and she has a cataract in her left eye and a really small one in her right eye. She is also near sighted (but from the research I have done that is pretty common). My question is that she came with a two year health guarantee from any genetic defects or anything that would be debilitating to what I purchased her for (hunting and possible hunt. Would you guys approach the breeder and try to get a new puppy or just let it go. I am fairly new to this stuff and would like a little guidance. Thanks

I'd approach the breeder

Absolutely go back to the breeder. Juvenile cataracts are hereditary so the breeder needs to know AND you need to have them honor their guarantee.

Meredith

I paid a good bit of money for this puppy and my main concern is whether or not its affecting her to the full extent now what about in 2-3 years if it gets worse. The good thing is I will get to keep this dog. As she replaces the puppy and doesn't ask for this one back as I have become attached to this point and regardless of what happens I wouldn't give her back

Talk with the breeder....here is the bad news(he or she may want it back) if you care? Best case would be another pup and keeping this one and spaying. Jim
    Last edited by jd6400; 01-29-2014 at 12:23 PM.
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Quote Originally Posted by mwk56 View Post
    Absolutely go back to the breeder. Juvenile cataracts are hereditary so the breeder needs to know AND you need to have them honor their guarantee.

Meredith
    absolutely this...
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    Talk with the breeder....here is the bad news(he or she may want it back) if you care? Jim
    i do care but in the contract it says that we get to keep the puppy and they replace it with an equal pup

On nearsightedness: I've seen sources that state that dogs in general are nearsighted, but I don't believe it's normal for working retrievers. Marking at field trial distances has got to involve pretty sharp vision. Sometimes the ducks are small, wet, and dark against a bad background, in the mist, or after sundown when we humans can't see the throw at all.

Amy Dahl

I do not understand any hesitancy to go back to the breeder. SHe has already told you that you can keep the pup and get another? Why are you not at the doorstep?
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Breeder is probably 20 hours from me. This is my first hunting/hunt trial dog. Just wanted to get a couple opinions to make sure I was on the right track. I have paperwork from eye cerf from yesterday so I can fax it over to her and I am prepared to get a 2nd opinion if need be