The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Keeping outdoor kennels clean in the winter

Default Keeping outdoor kennels clean in the winter

Any ideas? Pulling my hair out trying to keep kennels free of ice both the clear kind and the yellow kind. When it's not freezing I hose kennels at least twice a day but it's kinda hard when your hose is shootin ice cubes.

Steve,the key is to not let the snow get packed in there.Daily shoveling required!!!!Boy I dont miss those days. 40 4 ft by 25 ft in the snowbelt and keeping an all day vigil on snow.Labor intensive for sure.My kennel now is all inside!!!!Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Ice in a kennel run can always be dangerous, if you have snow, throw it on top of urine and it will absorb, then shovel back out.
    I leave a fresh coat of snow in run, then if they pee, it is absorbed by the snow and I clean it out a couple of times
    a day.
    Works for me till it warms up and I can get the hose back out.

I live in South Dakota and my kennels are on the south side of the building and I do have a lean to roof over the top. The first year I had snow in there every time it snowed or the wind blew. It would drift in. I put kennel shades on the East side and west side. Then I cut plexiglass (lexicon) to fit the doors and side panels on the front of kennels. Drilled holes and zip tied or wired them on to the front (south side) of the kennels. Now the sun can get in and warm up the dogs and the cement in the kennels but the snow can't blow in. It is awesome and I never have to scoop snow out of the kennels. I just have to scoop a bit on the walkway in front of the kennels.

I forgot. I take the clear panels off the front of the kennels from April to Nov.

Radiant flooring? Might be a weeeee bit expensive, but worth it for your neck of the woods. Doesn't your winter last until May?
    ~Willie Alderson

"Drake" Willey's Drake Seeker Supreme MH

"Roxi" Alder Creeks Riparian Roxi