The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunt Test 101 For New Handlers

Senior Member Elliott Labradors's Avatar

Default Hunt Test 101 For New Handlers

Last Fall Angie and I had the fun of campaigning our four puppy litter mates through the Carolina's as they participated in AKC Junior Hunt Test events. We haven't been in a Junior Hunter gallery in a while and we had a blast. The excitement and enthusiasm was very refreshing and in many cases the anxiety was none less than that of a national level event . We sometimes forget what got us in this sport and what some of those early feelings were like. We also assume that everyone should just know what they're suppose to be doing or what is expected of them. It was fun this fall just talking to new handlers and explaining what an "airing area" was, the difference in slip leads, and all the other "little things" that they weren't sure of. It was those thoughts that spurred the idea of offering a "Hunt Test 101" at our next club event. We plan to start Junior one hour later on Saturday and use the first hour of the day to present this "Hunt Test 101" seminar (at no extra charge). We plan to have an outline which will be presented by an AKC judge (not the event judge) and explain the topics just previously mentioned as well as what a flat buckle collar is, suggestions on courtesy, general rules and requirements of the test and how and when to chat with a Judge regarding your score just to name a few. I would also entertain suggestions from any of you that have ideas on topics you feel are worthy of mentioning. We hope this might encourage some of the folks that are hesitant about giving the sport a try because of lack of information. Getting involved with a club that has training days to support these folks is not always as easy as they need it to be. I plan to have detailed information on our Event on the Events page later. I don't want to get this post in the wrong place but for now I guess it's OK to say keep looking in the "Events" section for the Carolinas Retriever Association AKC Hunt Test in Mullins, SC this Spring.

Ya'll come see us now......ya' hear,

Wally Elliott
    Elliott's Amazing Grace Of Diamond E MH, CGC
    HRCH Elliott's Rockin' Roxy MH, CGC
    HR Elliott's Carolina Thorne MH, CGC
    Elliott's Dixie Lou MH
    Elliott's Carolina Duchess MH, CGC
    Elliott's Armbrook Go Tell It On The Mountain JH
    Elliott's Armbrook Lilly Of The Valley JH
    Elliott's Armbrook Set My Soul Afire JH
    Elliott's Armbrook Living By Faith JH

www.ElliottLabradors.com

America would be a different place at sundown if we all started with a devotion at sunup! Wally Elliott

Wally, we're offering the same thing before our fall HRC test. Given by a legitimate pro and licensed judge. It will be held the Friday before the test starts and participants will be invited to join us at the judges dinner...sort of a meet and greet. Topics covered (remember this is an hrc event) will be gun safety, what to do when the gun jams, no birds, and so on. Perspectives will be given from the viewpoints of both the pro and the judge...its an excellent idea...if people will actually show up.
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater"

I think it's a really good idea, especially setting aside the first hour of a Junior test to explain the basics. If you create a "cheat sheet" it would be welcomed by the newbies via email sometime before the test.

I remember my first Junior test vividly. We had zero experience and got to run first! Judge yelled at me for having a choke collar on my pup.

Please keep us posted on how it works for you.

I also had to run first at my first hunt test- the newbie seminar is a super idea and I bet that helps bring the anxiety level down a lot
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH MGDC SGDC, Winchester SGDC RNCL, Shelby RNCL, Spider, Beretta SGDC, Kimber, Verona, Missie, Jackie, Victor RNCL, Jet and Glitzy
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

Fantastic idea! Not only does it help the newbies, it will help with the time efficiency of the operation and keep judges and more experienced folks happy.

Sounds like a good idea. Or let someone like me run test dogs and you can see what not to do in person. Ran test dogs last fall in JH and SH and did everything wrong and should have known better but I think the handlers learned but had fun

Hey Wally,
    that's a great idea, wish we had thought of it. I think that might be a great way to get newbies started with a positive attitude.

regards,

Buddy

Awesome idea! Wish I had that all those years ago! Reading the rule book DOESN'T prepare you for your first tests!!
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

We have a mock hunt test each spring. We do the same thing. Explain the rules, what is expected, and all the other little things about an event that handlers should know. We also use that day to help new judges work on set up and time management issues. It really does help the new people get started as well as allow the experienced people a good controlled environment to see how a young dog may react to the test like atmosphere.

Russell
    CH Chisholm Trail's Backdraft Bay MH**
    Chisholm Trail's Crossfire Sophie JH**
    "I say goodbye to my weakness, so long to the regrets"

Senior Member Elliott Labradors's Avatar

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas. We hope that we can help create a great experience for a new handler at our AKC Hunt Test this spring (see "Events" section here on RTF for more details). We are considering taking this basic one hour presentation and extending it into an all day "Hunt Test 101" seminar at a later date.
    And as Joe stated, we really need people to show up .
    Hope to see ya' there!
    Wally
    Elliott's Amazing Grace Of Diamond E MH, CGC
    HRCH Elliott's Rockin' Roxy MH, CGC
    HR Elliott's Carolina Thorne MH, CGC
    Elliott's Dixie Lou MH
    Elliott's Carolina Duchess MH, CGC
    Elliott's Armbrook Go Tell It On The Mountain JH
    Elliott's Armbrook Lilly Of The Valley JH
    Elliott's Armbrook Set My Soul Afire JH
    Elliott's Armbrook Living By Faith JH

www.ElliottLabradors.com

America would be a different place at sundown if we all started with a devotion at sunup! Wally Elliott