The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lab puppy

Default Lab puppy

I'm getting a 8 week old female lab and i was wondering what are some of the first things you start training your puppy.Thanks

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

Brad one of the first things you need to do is be your pup's best buddy. Teach her her name and teach her that time spent with you is good time. DON"T rush she is just a puppy.
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

Quote Originally Posted by BradL View Post
    I'm getting a 8 week old female lab and i was wondering what are some of the first things you start training your puppy.Thanks
    I am in the same boat as I type this with a 10 week old. We have just been spending lots of time together, taking rides and exploring with her big brother. At this point, its just all been fun stuff and bonding time with her getting used to her new surroundings and the other dog that I have. House training, crate training, short retrieves in the house and playtime is what the agenda has been.

With my other dog we followed Jackie Mertens "Sound Beginnings" in the very beginning and then started on Bill Hillmans puppy DVD until he went to his trainer. With this one, we may do things a bit different since I have a different idea on what I want to possibly do with this one. I really liked both Jackie Mertens and Bill Hillmans DVD's and were easy for me to follow.

I am sure others will chime in that are much more experienced then I am.

Anyway, good luck with the new addition and don't rush things, they are just babies at this point.
    Last edited by RJW; 02-04-2014 at 08:52 AM.

Brad being a newbie myself, one of the things that these guys on the rtf showed me was that I needed to find a program and stick to it. But before you pick a program think of what goals you have in mind for you and your dog. Hunt tests, field trials, meat dog, etc. there are plenty of programs out there, two of which are advertised at the top of the page, Mike Lardys total retriever and bill Hillmans program. If you're looking for something budget friendly, as I was when I started, get the book The Ten Minute Retriever by John and Amy Dhal it will give you a solid foundation to start from. As RJW said said, don't rush things just have playtime take walks and be his best buddy! Here's a great link that should get you started:

http://www.hawkeyemedia.net/tips.html

Good look and congrats on the new pup!!!

Walk your pup on different kind of surfaces - grassy, rocky, prickly. Lay a ladder down and encourage the pup to walk across the rungs. Walk on different textures of matts, sit on top of a five gallon bucket, sit or stand on wobbly boards

Thanks for all the advise.I will be training her for duck hunting and i can i will take all the advice i can get.I'm looking into getting a video to help me train her.

I am in the same boat , I pick up my pup in 25 days.
    I think the biggest thing is Relationship, lots of loving and different experiences, take it to many places and let it have many new smells
    and encounters with other dogs and people . Like said above be its BEST BUD.

Hillman puppy DVD.....
    hawkeye retrievers
    Fritz Baier
    owned, trained and handled by:

GMHRCH-II MPR Baier's Mighty Waldimar
    MHR CPR Baier's Lady Gabrielle
    4 X GMPR MHR Baier's Lady Legacy of Tru Point MH Certified Therapy Dog

Huntinman is going to let me watch his Hillman puppy DVD .
    Thanks Bill

Dont be concerned with training. Build the bond between puppy and master. Puppies like to have fun and play. Enjoy the first months and love up that pup.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH