The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Collar Help

Default Collar Help

Hello all. Not quite sure if I have this in the right place of not, sorry if it's not.

I am looking to purchase a new collar. My old Tritronics has finally bit the dust. I am trying to narrow down the selections between the dogtra 300m or 1900 or the sportdog 825 or 1825. If you have used either of these systems, I would appreciate your information or if you have other suggestions I'd like to hear that as well.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I would do a search on Sport Dog on this site. My recollection is that the reviews are pretty bad. Dogstra seems to get good reviews.
    I recommend Tritronics as I prefer the tube style transmitter. TT used to have a trade in program for
    a pretty good discount. You might check it out.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

I have the Dogtra 1900 and it has performed fantastic. Good battery life and has never failed me.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Quote Originally Posted by yellow machine View Post
    I have the Dogtra 1900 and it has performed fantastic. Good battery life and has never failed me.
    Just out of curiosity, where did you start your stim levels at? My hang up with this collar is the 127 levels of stimulation it has. Seems you'd do lots of trial and error before finding the right level.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Tick View Post
    Just out of curiosity, where did you start your stim levels at? My hang up with this collar is the 127 levels of stimulation it has. Seems you'd do lots of trial and error before finding the right level.
    I have the 1900 and I started low(20) and moved up slowly until it got his attention. I keep it at 30 now. It gets his attention without any vocalization.
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Farrar View Post
    I have the 1900 and I started low(20) and moved up slowly until it got his attention. I keep it at 30 now. It gets his attention without any vocalization.
    When you were figuring out the levels did you get vocalization and then turn back down? Does the 1900 hold well on a level once set?

Yes holds perfect. You want a level that does not shut your dog down and can respond to correction. I suggest getting a training DVD to get yourself on the right track. Without the knowledge you can do harm if not done right. Remember first teach then correct!
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Tick View Post
    Put it on your leg, start at one and go up ... realistically though I couldn't feel anything until I got to about 30, (very weak vibration) I've hit myself with a 127 accidentally a few times, you feel it but you don't die (I'd rate a cattle-fence as much higher) . Add fur and a bit of stubbornness in, we run 55-75 normally, 70-90 on those days, and higher on certain days . Needless to say she's conditioned to a wide-range of stimulation levels, which gives me a lot of options on how to utilize the collar. When I first started my dog had me convinced she was feeling it and about to die @ 10-20 HOWL!!!(I think she could hear it, turn on).
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 02-05-2014 at 02:34 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)