The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Training trouble

Default Training trouble

Hi all,

I'm hoping you all can help me out with two issues I'm having in my training. I have a 3 1/2 month old pup that I've been working with going on 6 weeks now. I just started leash training with her and to be honest she's never been that thrilled with being on the leash and I'm not sure how to fix it. So here are my two issues:

1) As stated previously I just started leash training with a leash and choke chain. My issue isn't when the dog is on the leash it's just trying to put the darn thing on the dog in the first place. She sees me bring the leash and immediately starts jumping and being standoffish and barking up a storm. Basically won't let me come near her with it. I never lunge at her or chase her down. I just tell her to come here, kneel down to her level and sometimes even offer up a treat. It takes a while but she will finally come over but I have to hold her and some times she struggles while I put on the leash. I've also found if I open up the choke collar and put it on the ground in an open loop then put a treat in the middle I can easily slip it over her head as she eats the treat. Heaven forbid if I put it on wrong then I deal with the struggling! Just to head off any questions about the time on the leash and the activities. Well she's only on leash for walks and training. When we walk it's all fun time I never make her do any training and only correct her if she's acting like a sled dog and trying to pull my arm off other wise she loves it. While training she's wagging her tail the whole time and really responds well to commands I am still using treats as reinforcement so her excitement level is high during our training. So not sure why she freaks out when she sees the leash.

2) Excited jumping with biting! I always end my training with a game like Hunt Em Up where I have her search for hidden bumpers or we play fetch. She loves it and really gets excited. My problem is when I get the bumper from her and she sometimes jumps and jumps and will bite at the bumper. Tonight she ripped my jacket!!! Not happy because it's a nice under armor hoodie I've had for a while. The book I'm using says to use "Pressure" to get her to stop jumping. All I can think of is to knee her in the chest but I've probably kneed her 900 times by now. Should I just chalk it up to her being a puppy?

Feedback is definitely appreciated and thanks for helping out a new guy.

Cheers,
    Sean

If your not following a specific program you can look here. This might help. Kneeing in the chest won't work

http://www.training-your-dog-and-you.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Retriever13 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm hoping you all can help me out with two issues I'm having in my training. I have a 3 1/2 month old pup that I've been working with going on 6 weeks now. I just started leash training with her and to be honest she's never been that thrilled with being on the leash and I'm not sure how to fix it. So here are my two issues:

1) As stated previously I just started leash training with a leash and choke chain. My issue isn't when the dog is on the leash it's just trying to put the darn thing on the dog in the first place. She sees me bring the leash and immediately starts jumping and being standoffish and barking up a storm. Basically won't let me come near her with it. I never lunge at her or chase her down. I just tell her to come here, kneel down to her level and sometimes even offer up a treat. It takes a while but she will finally come over but I have to hold her and some times she struggles while I put on the leash. I've also found if I open up the choke collar and put it on the ground in an open loop then put a treat in the middle I can easily slip it over her head as she eats the treat. Heaven forbid if I put it on wrong then I deal with the struggling! Just to head off any questions about the time on the leash and the activities. Well she's only on leash for walks and training. When we walk it's all fun time I never make her do any training and only correct her if she's acting like a sled dog and trying to pull my arm off other wise she loves it. While training she's wagging her tail the whole time and really responds well to commands I am still using treats as reinforcement so her excitement level is high during our training. So not sure why she freaks out when she sees the leash.

2) Excited jumping with biting! I always end my training with a game like Hunt Em Up where I have her search for hidden bumpers or we play fetch. She loves it and really gets excited. My problem is when I get the bumper from her and she sometimes jumps and jumps and will bite at the bumper. Tonight she ripped my jacket!!! Not happy because it's a nice under armor hoodie I've had for a while. The book I'm using says to use "Pressure" to get her to stop jumping. All I can think of is to knee her in the chest but I've probably kneed her 900 times by now. Should I just chalk it up to her being a puppy?

Feedback is definitely appreciated and thanks for helping out a new guy.

Cheers,
    Sean

Sean...Do you have any young's of your own so to speak? And what do you do to create the desire behavior? Just saying...

Try focusing more on basic obedience or awhile. A good puppy obeience class would really be helpful now too, because they will cover these questions and offer lotsmof help and repetition.

In the meantime, do you make your dog always wear a flat buckle collar? If so, try the leash clipped on that for awhile until he pup gets used to it. It's alot easier to store your leash by your door, call the pup over, have him sit, grab the collar, position the d-ring up, grab the leash, and clip it on.

Also, you need to training your dog how to be calm and not jump on you. Start by never giving any attention or petting unless the pup is in a sit. Practice this with friends and strangers too. You also can teach him the off command. He jumps up, you say "off!" give him a shove, and treat him when his feet hit the ground, and repeat. Teach him that "off" is a good place to be, and that jumping gets you nothing.

If you really have a book that tells you to use pressure on a 14 week old puppy, burn it and go buy 3 lb of hotdogs.
    Darrin Greene

What book are you using?
    Make an eight foot lead out of 1/4" cord with a clip on one end but no loops or knots on the other end. Put and leave a puppy size flat collar on pup. Clip lead to the collar. While under supervision let him run around dragging the lead. Let him do this quite bit each day.
    After a week of this you can hold onto the lead but don't try to make him heel yet. Just let him get used to a little control. After a few days you should be able to start heeling.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 02-05-2014 at 05:14 AM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Update your obedience training methods before you hurt the 3 1/2 month old pup by using the choker. IMO, your dog is too young for what I think you are doing.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Never, ever use a choker. They went out of use/fashion years ago
    A soft buckle collar is best and get hold of a good puppy DVD/book to follow as suggested
    Cut up hot goods also very good to use when training

Good luck~~

What is "hot goods"? Is this an auto correction for "hot dogs"? Drives me crazy too. LOL!
    Wayne Nutt

I would recommend Sound Beginnings DVD by Jackie Mertens. It is relatively inexpensive.
    Wayne Nutt