The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The numbers on Creationism/Evolution

Default The numbers on Creationism/Evolution

A 2005 Harris poll reported that 73 percent of Republicans believed in creationism as opposed to 58 percent of Democrats and 57 percent of independents. (The numbers are higher across the board likely because of phrasing that, again, seemed to equate creationism with belief in God.) This poll also found that people in the northeast and west were much less likely to believe in creationism than those in the south and midwest, and that people over age 55 were much more likely to believe than those under. A 1991 Gallup survey found that college graduates were less than half as likely to believe in creationism as those lacking a high school diploma. Likewise, those with an income greater than $50,000 per year were half as likely to be creationists as those with an income under $20,000. In 1997 Gallup reported that 5 percent of scientists believed in creationism, which depending on how you look at it is either alarming or a relief.

How does the U.S. compare with other countries in terms of belief in evolution? Not so hot. A study of attitudes in 34 countries published in Science in 2006 shows that the United States ranks last in popular acceptance of evolution except for Turkey. Almost 40 percent of Americans in this study flatly rejected evolution, whereas the comparable numbers in European countries and Japan ranged from 7 to 15 percent. That may partly reflect U.S. high school kids' dismal math and science scores relative to other developed countries, which to my mind underscores a home truth: the more you know, the less you take on faith.

From: The Straight Dope-Fighting Ignorance Since 1973 (It's taking longer than we thought)
    What its prominence suggest, and what all science confirms is that the dog is a creature of the nose- A. Horowitz.

Quote Originally Posted by Losthwy View Post
    A 2005 Harris poll reported that 73 percent of Republicans believed in creationism as opposed to 58 percent of Democrats and 57 percent of independents. (The numbers are higher across the board likely because of phrasing that, again, seemed to equate creationism with belief in God.)......
    why does it have to be one or another?
    we all see evolution with our own eyes even in our speck of time.
    Time... that is the crux.
    On the first day God . . . . well folks, I feel it is a wee bit goofy to imagin that one of our days, the time it takes for our 3rd rock from the sun, to spin round once. Is the same as a day for God. I'm thinkin' her days might be a little bit longer.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Not surprised that the hotbed of Creationism is in the least educated parts of our county.

With Earth being roughly 4.5 BILLION years old and the universe much older, there was never a "First Day". The universe had no beginning as it has always been here!
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

Solomon was granted wisdom per his request and wrote in Proverbs 1:7, "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline."

i both fear the Lord and never despise the wisdom that the disciplines of sciences reveal. we decide for ourselves which matters in our universe are "understood" and which are "taken on faith".

as to evolution, i agree with ken that natural selection can be observed in our snapshot of time. as such, i hope to one day see a chessie i would like to own!
    as to God, i part with ken and hold to my faith that i was created in his image. He is thus a white male, late middle aged, not good looking........slightly overweight!
    john mccallie

Franco, not everyone that disagrees with you is uneducated as you seem to imply in your post(s). You have made your point regarding faith, or lack there of, very clear on RTF. You are quick to equate faith with education when in fact the two are not necessarily related at all. Someone could say the same about a lack of faith and a lack of intelligence.
    Last edited by coachmo; 02-05-2014 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    as to God, i part with ken and hold to my faith that i was created in his image. He is thus a white male, late middle aged, not good looking........slightly overweight!
    And who WAY WAY outkicked his coverage in the choice of a mate!!

Quote Originally Posted by coachmo View Post
    Franco, not everyone that disagrees with you is uneducated as you seem to imply in your post(s). You have made your point regarding faith, or lack there of, very clear on RTF. You are quick to equate faith with education when in fact the two are not necessarily related at all. Someone could say the same about a lack of faith and a lack of intelligence.
    They ARE very much related! Physicist are the most educated among us, try finding one that believes in Creationism. I also did NOT say that those that disagree with me are uneducated, that is your distortion! I merely agreed with the study that was posted of where the hotbed of creationism is in this country. That area of Creationism hotbed is also the area in this country that is growing the most in income inequality.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

Whatever, makes you sleep better, Franco. It's not a distortion at all but rather my opinion after reading numerous posts of yours over the last few years and your apparent disdain for others with faith. I could be wrong but if it walks like a duck... So poor, uneducated people are the ones of faith while rich, educated individuals are not. Well that makes perfect sense! So why would people that deal with poverty, limited educational choices, etc. be the ones with a stronger belief in God? Just wondering. Additionally, according to your post it is safe to say that you are someone that equates education with intelligence. I was very clear with my use of the words "uneducated" and "education" in my post to see how you would respond and you did not disappoint!
    Last edited by coachmo; 02-05-2014 at 10:47 AM.

My distain is for the so-called religious do-gooders that they hold mankind back from progressing to a higher quality of life! That mankind can not progress if they hold onto ancient mythologies and ignore what we have learned of our origins.

Losthway...

It continues to amaze me how many people use polling data, random studies, and the like to either determine what they think or justify what they think. (e.g. above... 2005 Harris poll, 1991 Gallup, 1997 Gallup, study of attitudes in 34 countries published in Science in 2006). Most polls are biased either unintentional or intentionally. It take a great deal of research to valuate a poll, looking at the questions, the sample size, the motivation for the polls (who sponsored it), etc. Without this being done, the information is commonly wrong or at least misleading. Also these polls noted are spread out between 1991 and 2006... long time frame when measuring demographics, or attitudes..

Finally, at the end of this opening post it says : From: The Straight Dope-Fighting Ignorance Since 1973 (It's taking longer than we thought) - Which suggests that someone has been tracking "Ignorance" since 1973......think they may have an agenda?