The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: The numbers on Creationism/Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    E just didn't believe in Creationism! Stay on topic there Rosemary!
    you are correct franco.

my initial assertion was only that one noted physicists statements would "allow" for the existence of God.
    yours was that he didn't believe in creationism.
    both of us have a chance at accuracy!

my adult onset ADHD and staying on topic are not peaceful in their coexistence.
    john mccallie

I've just been sitting here reading this thread. Every time I think about jumping in I smash my hand with a hammer! Makes much more sense, and is less painful. Damn, wheres that hammer??!
    Bill Davis

I'm curious Franco, is your argument with organized religion, christianity, God or anyone that doesn't think the way you do?

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    I'm curious Franco, is your argument with organized religion, christianity, God or anyone that doesn't think the way you do?
    My debate is with the existence of any god. Not that I didn't want to believe in one in my younger years. I just see the world, our universe and our origins differently. Then, when I see all of the truly horrendous crimes committed against innocent people and children, I have no doubt that a just god does not exist.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    I've just been sitting here reading this thread. Every time I think about jumping in I smash my hand with a hammer! Makes much more sense, and is less painful. Damn, wheres that hammer??!
    LOL ! I have tried to keep quiet in most cases like this. It reminds me that God has ways of getting people's attention in most cases ( sometimes it takes a while )...........many years before my birth a distant family member who liked to argue quoted a book he had ( which I never knew the name of )....he said that according to that book people of color were not humans etc. He was really into his subject and bored people in the family to death. Dad told me that the man's next child was born with very black, very curly hair ( a beautiful baby boy, vbg ). Bless the man's heart he shut up about that book. Time will take care of these views that people have, VBG, or perhaps it's God who will take care of their views. I do believe that the Bible says that God winks at times of ignorance in people. Perhaps someone who knows the Bible better than I do can give a more accurate quote of that Scripture.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

My debate is with the existence of any god. Not that I didn't want to believe in one in my younger years. I just see the world, our universe and our origins differently. Then, when I see all of the truly horrendous crimes committed against innocent people and children, I have no doubt that a just god does not exist.
    I too wanted to believe at one time. But, as I saw the terrible things happening in the world, I said that no way is there an almighty that can make all things perfect. The bible is a book written by man for man in my humble opinion.

Franco, so you equate my faith to fiction which by definition is something that is not real. Please explain how there are occurrences in nature that can't be explained by science but still occur i.e. they're real. That's poor word choice on your part in an attempt to be condescending regarding other's faith.

Either there is no God, or you have to be God.

I have a comforting system of beliefs that have been tested throughout a few centuries but some of Christianity disagrees with some of it... It's called Calvinism. It has five points and are explained in the acronym TULIP

T - Total depravity... Everything anybody does is screwed up by sin

U- unconditional election... Nothing you can do can grant you Gods favor

L- Limited atonement ... Christ died for the elect

I- irresistible grace ... Once you taste grace, you're an addict

P- perseverance of the saints... Once saved always saved

When unjust things happen in the world it's easier to understand when everyone is screwed up. When you realize no one is perfect, salvation can't be based on merit. If Christ did not die for the ones he saved he would be a weak God that waits around in a school yard wanting to be picked on a team. If God is powerful, his grace is the best thing anyone would experience. And once you feel it, it will never go away.

I know that logically Christianity is crazy. One dude claims he is God, says he dies for peoples trangressions so they can live in this so called heaven. It is not logical at first glance, or second, or third. No one on here can convince anybody of that.

But I would suggest it is not illogical to believe in a God. Here is a man that is probably smarter than anyone on this site explaining the question does God exist and I think he does a great Job. It is at least worth a listen

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=otrqzITuSqE

OK, I reread you question. Science does not directly disprove that there is a god. That's why there are Agnostics, people who place reason above mythology. It may be empty to you but for many, we find it quit enlightening. That living with truth is better than fiction.
    Seems to me based on what I have read is that your "truth" is what you call reason. You say your agnostic but I don't think you are. Agnostics by definition state it is impossible to know there is a God but you seem to consistently say that God is a myth based on reason. I don't see that as agnostic. I see that as being an Athiest.
    Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

Let the views of others educate and inform you, but let your decisions be a product of your own conclusions. (Jim Rohn)

Quote Originally Posted by BrettG View Post
    You miss 2 very crucial things in your argument Franco.
    1. Time has a beginning and an end. You state the universe has always been here, but with the definition of time and the age you have given the earth you contradict yourself.
    2. All scientist will tell you mathematically and physically it is impossible to take nothing and create something, based on this how did life form? The universe?

I am fairly well educated and live in the south. I have a biology degree and taught for 11 yrs. now I am in ministry and have nene for the past 8 yrs. there is one thing you and I agree on, religion gets in the way of Christianity, more for some than others.
    You are not up with current thought in physics. I was just reading an article a few days ago that was discussing the big bang and how matter (something) could have burst into existence from nothing. I can't remember if the article was in Discover or The Smithsonian. So, the most up to date thinking in physics doesn't contradict the "creation" of something from nothing.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com