The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: The numbers on Creationism/Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    i have enjoyed this thread. a discussion like this brings us all closer to God by its thoughtfulness. when i quoted Isaiah 58:8 & 9 as support for the vast gap between our thinking/logic/ideas of justice and God's, i hoped to convey also that by raising our level of thought and contemplation, we all always become closer to our Creator.

if in my simple, (hopefully) humorous and less than perfect way i have posted anything anyone found to be outside the bounds of my true heart for others, i apologize.

this is a fun, funny, fun loving group. i am pleased to participate with you all.

jmc
    You certainly haven't offended me. When it comes to discussing religion and politics, even when one is very civil, one still runs the risk of offending someone. I won't live my life afraid to participate in a free exchange of ideas because one of my ideas might offend someone. I believe that in discussions like this one I conduct myself civilly. I don't call names, and I try not to suggest too strongly that folks with differing viewpoints are cognitively deficient . I am, after careful thought, going to attempt to put forth a cogent position on the topic being discussed. I am not going to apologize for holding or putting forth that opinion. I might apologize if I stoop to calling someone "stupidhead" unless the provocation was extreme.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    You certainly haven't offended me. When it comes to discussing religion and politics, even when one is very civil, one still runs the risk of offending someone. I won't live my life afraid to participate in a free exchange of ideas because one of my ideas might offend someone. I believe that in discussions like this one I conduct myself civilly. I don't call names, and I try not to suggest too strongly that folks with differing viewpoints are cognitively deficient . I am, after careful thought, going to attempt to put forth a cogent position on the topic being discussed. I am not going to apologize for holding or putting forth that opinion. I might apologize if I stoop to calling someone "stupidhead" unless the provocation was extreme.
    Maybe... But you do show passive aggressive tendencies and seem to have some sort of hangup about your superior intellect as it compares to those you are conversing with. A legend in your own mind? Food for thought...
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    .........this is a fun, funny, fun loving group. i am pleased to participate with you all.

jmc

x2
    a pop song, for thought...... http://youtu.be/7K1hckf1C3I
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

I am still waiting on a graph, chart or mathematical equation explaining in scientific terms what love is!!!
    Last edited by road kill; 02-13-2014 at 10:52 AM.

Franco, I have been reading back through this thread and came across your link http://www.einsteinandreligion.com/religdev.html. I hadn't read it the first time. I read it this time. I especially enjoyed this passage: "The religious geniuses of all ages have been distinguished by this kind of religious feeling, which knows no dogma and no God conceived in man's image; so that there can be no church whose central teachings are based on it. Hence it is precisely among the heretics of every age that we find men who were filled with this highest kind of religious feeling and were in many cases regarded by their contemporaries as atheists, sometimes also as saints. Looked at in this light, men like Democritus, Francis of Assisi, and Spinoza are closely akin to one another."

Wow. Very thoughtful, and lucid.
    Last edited by HPL; 02-13-2014 at 11:33 AM.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

thoughtful and lucid enough so that we might all make the connection. then we can see the genius of hugh likened to that of atomic scientist, saint and heretic philosopher.

is that what you were fishing for?
    john mccallie

Franco, I have been reading back through this thread and came across your link http://www.einsteinandreligion.com/religdev.html. I hadn't read it the first time. I read it this time. I especially enjoyed this passage: "The religious geniuses of all ages have been distinguished by this kind of religious feeling, which knows no dogma and no God conceived in man's image; so that there can be no church whose central teachings are based on it. Hence it is precisely among the heretics of every age that we find men who were filled with this highest kind of religious feeling and were in many cases regarded by their contemporaries as atheists, sometimes also as saints. Looked at in this light, men like Democritus, Francis of Assisi, and Spinoza are closely akin to one another."

Another from one of my favorite heretics...

Religion comes from the period of human prehistory where nobody—not even the mighty Democritus who concluded that all matter was made from atoms—had the smallest idea what was going on. It comes from the bawling and fearful infancy of our species, and is a babyish attempt to meet our inescapable demand for knowledge (as well as for comfort, reassurance, and other infantile needs). Today the least educated of my children knows much more about the natural order than any of the founders of religion.

C Hitchens

If we didn't have religious dogma, fire and brimstone then what, just spirituality?

Me

Going to have to dig up my Five Books of the Verdas, been a while since I've scanned though them.
    Last edited by Franco; 02-13-2014 at 07:13 PM.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Another from one of my favorite heretics...

Religion comes from the period of human prehistory where nobody—not even the mighty Democritus who concluded that all matter was made from atoms—had the smallest idea what was going on. It comes from the bawling and fearful infancy of our species, and is a babyish attempt to meet our inescapable demand for knowledge (as well as for comfort, reassurance, and other infantile needs). Today the least educated of my children knows much more about the natural order than any of the founders of religion.

C Hitchens
    Franco, my memory fails me. Maybe you can quote what Obama said about some of us hanging onto our Bibles and our guns.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Quote Originally Posted by charly_t View Post
    Franco, my memory fails me. Maybe you can quote what Obama said about some of us hanging onto our Bibles and our guns.
    OK, I give up. What did he say? I'm a Libertarian and don't pretend to know what is best for others like the Dems and Repubs. BTW, our Party's Platform states that law abiding citizens should not be subject to any gun laws, period! What's the Repubs' Platform on guns?
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    OK, I give up. What did he say? I'm a Libertarian and don't pretend to know what is best for others like the Dems and Repubs. BTW, our Party's Platform states that law abiding citizens should not be subject to any gun laws, period! What's the Repubs' Platform on guns?
    I can't remember exactly what he said. Maybe someone else can tell us. I have no idea what the republican platform is. I seldom vote my party choices because I don't like what they are saying etc. I was wondering if perhaps Obama's view of the Bible and yours were much the same.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~