The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hope the CBO is Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Storts View Post
    Hopefully this is our sarcastic statement of the day being there are so many entry-level positions, in my area, like restaurants, for example, which are constantly posting job opening positions. It is going to be the person making $20-$50,000 which will cut their hours to receive the subsidy. Maybe I will divorce my wife, we will continue living together and take advantage of this new system. Could make my house appear as a duplex, A&B address, charge a artificial rent and take advantage of multiple programs. Don't think this is not going to happen throughout the country.

Don't you feel people which have taken or received these government handouts for years/decades be required to actively give some type of service back? This is, of course, only if they are able because there are those which actually need, not abuse, the programs.

Dan
    Actually, I was thinking more of the family with two working parents who net marginally more than the single income because they are spending money on having daycare raise the kids instead of Mom and eating a lot of restaurant and pre-processed food because at the end of the day, everyone is tired. Maybe now they can afford health insurance with one income, and MOM can raise her kids instead of some stranger.

Or maybe the guy or gal with a great idea for a new business will have the guts to leave the job they only stay at because of the health insurance and strike out to start their own business, secure in the fact that if things are tight for awhile, the will still be able to get insurance & not take a chance on bankruptcy or letting a loved one go because the couldn't afford the coverage.

With you guys it always goes back to the ones gaming the system. You don't see the good side of any issue. It must really suck to be saddled with going through life without ever seeing the positive.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

I got done typing that and then went to read the blog of one of my favorite economists. I got a good laugh out of it.

SEARCH

FEB 5, 3:31 PM 4
    CBO: ACA OK

What with the fuss over the CBO estimates of employment effects of health reform — Appendix C — everyone seems to have overlooked Appendix B, on the reform’s effects in doing what it was supposed to do: cover the uninsured. How has the disastrous initial rollout affected CBO’s projections about reform’s near future?

Here’s the answer:

Oh noes! The exchanges will cover 6 million people, not the 7 million we expected! The number of uninsured will fall 13 million, not 14 million!

In short, CBO thinks that reform has been only mildly set back by the healthcare.gov mess, that at this point it’s going pretty well. And by the way, these are predictions we’ll be able to test in real time, unlike the labor force estimates, which will get lost in statistical noise.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Actually, I was thinking more of the family with two working parents who net marginally more than the single income because they are spending money on having daycare raise the kids instead of Mom and eating a lot of restaurant and pre-processed food because at the end of the day, everyone is tired. Maybe now they can afford health insurance with one income, and MOM can raise her kids instead of some stranger.

Or maybe the guy or gal with a great idea for a new business will have the guts to leave the job they only stay at because of the health insurance and strike out to start their own business, secure in the fact that if things are tight for awhile, the will still be able to get insurance & not take a chance on bankruptcy or letting a loved one go because the couldn't afford the coverage.

With you guys it always goes back to the ones gaming the system. You don't see the good side of any issue. It must really suck to be saddled with going through life without ever seeing the positive.
    80% of all small businesses don't any employees except the owner and 80% of all new startups fail. The big thing is their average salary is $44,000 per year. The the 80-20 rule will always apply to this $44,000 figure as well. (Example: 9 families are sitting in a room and their income is zero per year. Now, in comes Dan Akerson, GM's CEO last year with a salary of around 11 million, and the average family income instantly becomes 1.1 million.)

Maybe they can become a artist like the minority leader suggested.

People which are capable of starting a business can take the risk now because what do they have to lose. These programs are not offering SBA loans, paying off current credit cards or a automatically increasing their credit scores. They will still have basically the same means they currently have to start their business. Step back and look at the big picture. Donald Trump has been bankrupt at least 4 times.

You're going to have to spin pretty hard to show me the POSITVE of 92 million folks no longer in the work force... Now throw in another paltry 2.5 million... Plus, who knows how many more Obama can convince to call it quits... But, I'm sure there is a ray of sunshine there somewhere...
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    You're going to have to spin pretty hard to show me the POSITVE of 92 million folks no longer in the work force.....
    A search of "92 million no longer in work" returns a top link of Rush Limbaugh's website. No spin from this source.

Since you are the expert, can you tell me how much the workforce numbers are being affected by the fact that 10,000 baby boomers are reaching retirement age every day? (300,000 a month- http://www.pewresearch.org/daily-num...oomers-retire/). Pretty amazing that 10,000 a day will reach retirement age each day for the next 19 years.

I got done typing that and then went to read the blog of one of my favorite economists. I got a good laugh out of it.
    Am I reading something strange from the graph?

According to the graph: 2014 projection is that a total 14 million will be covered by exchanges/Medicaid/CHIP, of which 2 million were previously covered by other plans. Net 12 million. But the uninsured are decreased by 13 million.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Am I reading something strange from the graph?

According to the graph: 2014 projection is that a total 14 million will be covered by exchanges/Medicaid/CHIP, of which 2 million were previously covered by other plans. Net 12 million. But the uninsured are decreased by 13 million.

I don't have time to look at it right now. Maybe looking at the original documents will help sort things out for you.

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/43900

It seems the conservative media did some bad reporting on what the CBO reported on this issue.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/0...re-kills-jobs#

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...cs&ir=Politics

Quote Originally Posted by GaryJ View Post
    If the CBO is correct then I can only hope the $8 Billion saved will be enough to pay for those who decide not work. ""The estimated reduction stems almost entirely from a net decline in the amount of labor that workers choose to supply, rather than from a net drop in businesses' demand for labor," CBO said."

I get not everyone is employable but I am sick of carrying the weight of those who can but choose not to. The govt on the other hand seems to think that behavior is totally acceptable.

http://news.yahoo.com/obamacare-cut-...4--sector.html
    I'm with you. The taxpayers should not be forced (and we are) to pay one dime for anyone who is able bodied. Having 3 or 5 or 10 spawn does not mean you are not able. That just means you were not responsible. So sorry so sad but NOT my problem! Get off your backside and work rather than multiply!
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

With unemployment as high as it is, don't you think there will be folks standing in line waiting to take up the slack?
    Not those that would rather breed than anything!
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI