The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How does a new person find a mentor?

I would have to agree with finding a mentor with a trainer, If he is a good business man he will tell you to keep in contact and help you out with questions/problems. I know in my case ive sent a few more clients his way because of a good relationship I had with him.

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    These are great responses, thank you everyone.

Apologies for giving the impression that I am trying to find a mentor for myself (I have edited the OP in hopes of making it more clear). I am just wondering how folks envision new people find mentors.

What you all are saying is consistent with what I have experienced, but many RTF posts give me the impression that others find it easy to find qualified people willing to help a newbie learn to train his dog.

I don't find it easy. I cannot even find a training group in my area. I have posted on here that I am looking and nothing. Just moved...and man did I leave behind one of the best groups. Too bad for me I guess.
    Bryan Corbett
    Ten Bears Wild Road Trip "Reece"

I have three kids (20 yrs younger) than myself that as I tell them have bought into the program. IMO, for the mentor/student arrangement to work both have to be willing to give something. My guys understand what needs to be done when I pull into the field. They call me to find out he location,time and setup. They actually keep me going some days when nothing goes as planned. Above all else, they have become my friends.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan 3x View Post
    I don't find it easy. I cannot even find a training group in my area. I have posted on here that I am looking and nothing. Just moved...and man did I leave behind one of the best groups. Too bad for me I guess.
    Unless you are around KC or ST.L training groups are non existent anywhere much north of I-70 I got lucky and a pro moved back to his home town not long after I started this journey and he has helped me train me and the dogs. Closet "group" to me is 2 hours away.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post

So ... how did you find your mentor?
    I don't have "A" mentor. Various people have helped me in very different ways, but I did not find them till my current dog was over a year old. Basically I met these people at FT and HT picnics. (Long story short.)

For me it has been a long road. I still mostly train alone.

Socially inept regards...
    Renee P

I'd say 1st, your breeder. 2nd, your club affiliates.

Finding a mentor in the dog training games is a lot like finding a golf swing coach..You watch how a person handles their dogs at a trial/test..watch how they handle themselves..grab a program,do a little research, do some networking, shake a few hands,compliment them when their dog does well, keep clear when they dont..a really important part of the equation is become a good student..There is nothing more rude or disheartening when someone mentors a fellow dog trainer and as soon as the student gets what they want from the mentor they leave or start taking advice from another pro or another trainer.....

In other words DONT WASTE a MENTOR'S TIME

without sounding misogynistic..if you are a female and dont have men falling over themselves trying to teach you how to train your dog, then maybe you're doing something wrong
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    I keep seeing new people being advised to find a mentor, but I wonder how a person new to do training can track one down. How does one go about imposing himself upon a stranger? How does one go about even finding who to ask?

Having a mentor is great, but there seems far more demand than supply.

Edit:

I see from the responses below that folks think I am trying to find a mentor for myself. I am actually just wondering how other folks envision new trainers find mentors.
    A good mentor ,will find You ! Any new person to the game has to be at the game,not necessarily in it from day one. Enthusiasm to learn and be learned with a whole lot of personal manners will get you noticed. Shouting out for a mentor can attract mentors ,but as I SAID ..A good one will find you. A mentor can also be one in various way's?.they don't have to be the coach by your side in the training field every week!...I have two very good mentors 3,000 miles away and who have helped me invaluably and I have never actually met them ...It also depends on the newcomers 'start point' and 'End Goal' .
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

I have been a member of several dog clubs along the front range of Colorado. I have worked MANY hunt tests. There have been MANY people at Club Days, that gave advice and helped me.

But, I have to say,, that because of TED,, I was able to get a chance to Go to a Training Day with Miss Cherylon Loveland.
    It has been just a wonderful experience. After a period of time,and a new puppy, She took me under her wing , and gave me private lessons before group training days.
    The lessons were from basic obedience, through ff, and then Yard work of T and TT.

I am VERY FORTUNATE.. and still have a LOT to learn, but Dog Training has become Fun again..

I can NOT say enough about finding a person, who is knowlageble, dedicated to a "WAY" ,and has the patience to teach.

Thanks Ted! ,,,,, Thanks CHERYLON !!!!!

Gooser

P.S. I'm still a GOOBER though!
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 02-06-2014 at 09:06 AM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

And how Cherylons training group puts up with me,, I have NO Idea!

Chicken wing regards:

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"