The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ARGHHH Tree Huggers

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    You and Shawn are just flat wrong. I have met plenty of folks with attitudes like yours in all walks of life and they mostly just make things harder for the rest of us. I couldn't have given you anything like a good estimate as to what a dog box like that costs nor would the price you paid for your truck have ANY bearing on my guess as to how you treat your animals. How gentle would you be if someone came up to you and expressed concern for your dogs' welfare in person (as opposed to suggesting that they would call the cops)? As your first name is Charles I'm going to assume that you are a male. A woman might be afraid (and by your post, sounds like justifiably) to question your behavior in person, so calling the hotel manager and suggesting that the police should be involved might seem like a reasonable act. It is neither stupid nor rude to question someone's treatment of their animals. How many CHILDREN do we hear about every year that either die of cold or heat in a closed vehicle?
    From the OP- "As I am about to enter the shower, the front desk calls me and says that someone is threatening to call the police if I do not take my dogs out of the chassis mount truck and put them in the room."

IF-- someone approaches and questions/ expresses concerns - (I understand and appreciate)
    When - someone threatens to call the Authorities First - (Game on ).
    Last edited by J Hoggatt; 02-05-2014 at 10:19 PM.
    Attributed to Ben Franklin-
    "Don't Argue with Stupid People..... They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!"

"When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid."

"Arguing with Idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to sh$t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I think I'm going to weigh in at least partially on the side of the woman. I think that the best approach would have been to ask the desk to give you a few minutes as you had just stepped out of the shower and then take your shower, go down and be an ambassador for the sport. Meet the woman, show her how nice the accommodations are in the truck (I have never seen inside one of those either) and assure her that the dogs are well taken care of. That might have made a friend out of someone who was, after all, just concerned about the welfare of your animals. When people approach you concerned about the welfare of your animals in the trucks, why not take the opportunity to show off the truck? Would two or three minutes kill you? Wouldn't it be better to take a chance and possibly win a friend instead of absolutely solidifying an enemy? Dog trucks in parking lots is a close as many people will ever get to a hunt test of field trial. Why convince them that the folks who participate in these activities really are jerks?
    HPL

You inhabit a different planet than I do. I do not believe that in this life - lion and the sheep will lie down next to one another, or that swords will be beaten into plow shares. Nor do I believe that three minutes will change someone's underlying attitudes. In the same vein, I have no interest in discourse with someone who tells me that if I don't get my dogs out of my truck, they will call the police. By the way, what do you think her underlying beliefs were - if the first words out of her mouth were "I'm not trying to jack with you."

By the way, I haven't noticed you exhibiting this kind of approach in your posts. Is this a "do as I say, not as I do kind of thing?"

I wouldn't change a thing that I did - except for hold the door open for the bimbo.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

You and Shawn are just flat wrong. I have met plenty of folks with attitudes like yours in all walks of life and they mostly just make things harder for the rest of us. I couldn't have given you anything like a good estimate as to what a dog box like that costs nor would the price you paid for your truck have ANY bearing on my guess as to how you treat your animals. How gentle would you be if someone came up to you and expressed concern for your dogs' welfare in person (as opposed to suggesting that they would call the cops)? As your first name is Charles I'm going to assume that you are a male. A woman might be afraid (and by your post, sounds like justifiably) to question your behavior in person, so calling the hotel manager and suggesting that the police should be involved might seem like a reasonable act. It is neither stupid nor rude to question someone's treatment of their animals. How many CHILDREN do we hear about every year that either die of cold or heat in a closed vehicle?
    I will try harder in my life to make things easier on you by letting people walk on me while you try to justify YOUR life to complete stranger. The lady seemed not concerned ,but noisy and in need of drama and attention if she called the cops BEFORE questioning the dog owner.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

BCR's Born to Boogie "Boogie" (FC Contempt of Court "Ruckus" X HR Big Creek Retrivers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy")

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    HPL

You inhabit a different planet than I do. I do not believe that in this life - lion and the sheep will lie down next to one another, or that swords will be beaten into plow shares. Nor do I believe that three minutes will change someone's underlying attitudes. In the same vein, I have no interest in discourse with someone who tells me that if I don't get my dogs out of my truck, they will call the police. By the way, what do you think her underlying beliefs were - if the first words out of her mouth were "I'm not trying to jack with you."

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

+1
    Steve Lithgow
    Las Cruces, NM
    "The thing that makes them good... is the thing that makes them bad" ~Pete Richardson Marble Mtn Walkers, Vermont
    "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.... " ~Ron Schaitel
    "What's the difference between a pro and an amateur..... ""About a tenth of a second"" ~Bill Gibbons
    "Ugh... my dog broke....! ""There's never been one worth a flip that hasn't"" ~John Steger

Quote Originally Posted by J Hoggatt View Post
    From the OP- "As I am about to enter the shower, the front desk calls me and says that someone is threatening to call the police if I do not take my dogs out of the chassis mount truck and put them in the room."

IF-- someone approaches and questions/ expresses concerns - (I understand and appreciate)
    When - someone threatens to call the Authorities First - (Game on ).

I forgot to mention. When the front desk clerk called me, he said "I told her that you bring the dogs into the room at night. But, she wants them in now."

After the police left, I went to the front desk to speak with the clerk. He said he was sorry, that he told her that I bring the dogs into the room at night, but that she wanted them in immediately. So, what does that tell you about her agenda?
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

[QUOTE=ChessieMom;1185723]I like HPL's idea, but sometimes you just know when you meet people whether or not the'll be receptive to learning something new. I also like to reserve the right to NOT have to explain myself to strangers when I've done nothing wrong....moreso when I'm hot, and tired and in need of a shower, lol![/QUOTE]

Well, I hope you noticed that I didn't suggest that the OP dash down and talk to the woman, but rather that he go ahead and take his shower and then go down and behave like a true Texas gentleman. Not only would that have perhaps won a convert, but might also have prevented a LEO from wasting his valuable time dealing with this.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Ted you done good.... BUT (butt ugly truth) you live in Golden and managed the good fortune to find the one "tree hugger" in Texas ? Now that is funny right there!

Best of luck in your trials hope you accomplish your goals!
    Steve Lithgow
    Las Cruces, NM
    "The thing that makes them good... is the thing that makes them bad" ~Pete Richardson Marble Mtn Walkers, Vermont
    "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.... " ~Ron Schaitel
    "What's the difference between a pro and an amateur..... ""About a tenth of a second"" ~Bill Gibbons
    "Ugh... my dog broke....! ""There's never been one worth a flip that hasn't"" ~John Steger

And if we don't keep score at little league games and even the team that won no games in the soccer league gets trophies, our kids will be much better off.

Stop it.
    Rick Curtis ~ Now in Ontario, CA

Little Man Caught It On The River SH ~ "Ace"

Handlers Handle, Dogs Dog, Judges Judge

"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart."
    ~Rex Carr

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    HPL

By the way, I haven't noticed you exhibiting this kind of approach in your posts. Is this a "do as I say, not as I do kind of thing?"

Actually, I believe that most of the time, even when I disagree with someone's position, I do it civilly. Even here I have been completely polite and civil. I explained what I thought the better approach would be and why. Didn't call anybody any derogatory names, question anyone's cognitive ability, nor cast aspersions on anyone's lineage. Didn't even point out the the word "nosy" doesn't have an "I" in it. As tempting as those things sometimes are, they are seldom productive. I really don't have anything else to say about this incident. I think the OP might have gotten a better outcome for the sport had he handled it differently, maybe not. We'll never know.

As to Rick's post, man, you don't know me AT ALL.
    Last edited by HPL; 02-05-2014 at 11:29 PM.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Ted,
    You handled it the right way. I would have told the clerk on the phone to "go ahead call'em." You have no need to justify your actions to her, or the police for that matter. It is obvious bowing down to her would not have earned a friend or ambassador, but rather made you look like a fool.

Despite what others have said here.... you done right in my book
    God, Family, Country & LSU Football.