The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: ARGHHH Tree Huggers

Maybe Ted should have showed her how nice his boxes are ....from the inside out
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    Not when you are vertically challenged!
    You vertically challenged folks have an even more effective option for where to place the karate chop.
    Additionally in your case Lainee I'm pretty sure that anyone who messes with your dogs would quickly learn that dynamite DOES come in small packages!!

I guess I have been lucky. I live smack dab in the middle of a PETA like culture. But everywhere I have gone with the MTCK box on my truck, people have asked questions and wanted to know about it. So far no one has called the cops or tried to let my dogs out. It probably helps that the Chessie allows NO ONE to approach his box except us without going into his complete Cujo routine. Don't think anyone would try to open either box! But I don't kid myself, it will happen some day, so I always lock the boxes and park them where I can keep an eye out.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Too bad she wasn't there last weekend during the seminar or on a trial weekend; she would have needed to summon the National Guard considering all the tortured animals in their over-sized, insulated, stainless steel, padded-bottom dog boxes!

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    You vertically challenged folks have an even more effective option for where to place the karate chop.
    Additionally in your case Lainee I'm pretty sure that anyone who messes with your dogs would quickly learn that dynamite DOES come in small packages!!
    Stretch a little more often and get the outside edge of your foot on the sweet spot.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    Also she did not want to go that route as she immediately involved the police..... I don't mind being an ambassador if it is a two way street! IMO
    I think this is the key point. I've had to deal with this kind of thing, as have most of us. You have to make a decision up front as to how much your 'concerned onlooker' wants to listen, and whether it's worth the effort. If I think there's room for education, then I've taken a few minutes to go through the "let me show you how this box is made - like a tank. The dogs are safer than I am" while pointing out the comfortable bedding, roominess, insulation, venting and fans. Usually ending the conversation with "my dogs live better, eat better, and get better medical care than I do, and I do everything I can for their well-being." Once I even had Blaze jump out of his box, knowing that he'd bounce around happily, looking healthy and all shiny-coated. That ended the conversation with the misinformed but well-meaning woman saying "ooooh he's beautiful, can I pet him?" She had approached me in a hotel parking lot, with concern and some skepticism, but not belligerence. She wished me luck at the trial as I left for the day.

On the other hand, when faced with closed-minded ignorance, I've cut off the conversation with "why don't you spend your time chasing the yahoos with dogs hanging loose in the back of open bed pick up trucks?"

You have to pick your battles, and that's what I think Ted did. Rightly so.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hurst View Post
    Woman must have been a transplant from Colorado.
    and probably resides in Austin now.
    "Force fetch isn't about retrieving as much as it is conditioning a dog to handle pressure, in a very controlled environment. It's about putting a dog in the position of having to figure out how to turn off pressure by finding the correct response. This translates into numerous areas in training." Sharon Potter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    I have been training in Anderson, Texas for the past two weeks. Staying at a nice hotel in Navasota. After a long day of training, I return to the motel and air the dogs. I gather my stuff, while some women tries to get her beautifully coiffed Shelties in the door. Of course, they do not sit, heel or otherwise obey her. As I am about to enter the shower, the front desk calls me and says that someone is threatening to call the police if I do not take my dogs out of the chassis mount truck and put them in the room.
    I tell them "Call the Police." I take my shower, change clothes, walk to the front desk and who should I meet but the Sheltie Lady and the Police.

She says "I am not trying to jack with you" (first words out of her mouth). I respond "Right." I tell the cop I am happy to show him my insulated Ainley Chassis Mount, but not that "woman." We walk to the truck. I show him the chassis mount, the insulated walls and floors. The dog mats and dog beds. I tell him that these are hunting dogs, not lap dogs. He tells me that my truck is nicer than the animal shelter. End of story.

But, what a pile of crap
    Your fault Ted. If you will stay in a one star hotel you won't have these problems. The folks at one star hotels NEVER want the police to come around and they tend to mind their own business (when they aren't breaking into your vehicle).

Lonnie Spann
    Last edited by Lonnie Spann; 02-06-2014 at 10:41 AM.
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

Good for you. About time people stand up to idiots like that.

I've had this happen to me lots of times. This last time was in December. Serena and I were up in Portland visiting some of her family while I trained during the day. The house at the end of the street decided to call the cops at 11pm and turn me in. Since there was no way for the cops to know which house I was in 3 of them walked to each house in the neighborhood asking about the truck. They had to wake up about 15 of these people's neighbors. The cop already new what the truck was but he had to follow up on the complaint. Turns out he worked as a cop previously in my home town and I had trained one of his hunting buddies dogs. We talked for about 45 minutes. He then laughed and said he had to go back down and wake up the complainer and let them know everything with the dogs is fine, however all of his neighbors are now pissed at them for being woke up by cops in the middle of the night. Karma is a real bitch....

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"