The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: ARGHHH Tree Huggers

some times you can't fix stupid several years ago I had a English setter he died at 11 years old about 6 mo later I rescued a 9 mo old setter I put him out to air about 1/2 hour I went to get him and he was gone I went around to all the neighbors asking . the last person I talked to said she saw someone take him I called the police and the humane center and was told they had him and were coming out to cite me for abuse of a animal I asked why and they said the dog has lost a lot of weight. I told them that he was within the range of a young dog and would bring in the vets record ,it turns out that they thought he was the old dog
    . they were going to write me up any way I ended up having to get a lawyer and threaten to sue before they dropped it

Ted You did the right thing. A couple of years ago at our trial someone at the hotel called the OSPCA about the dogs being left in the trucks on a warm summer night. The pros involved tried to explain that the dogs had never been inside over night and to bring 8 or 10 into a hotel room which did not allow dogs was really not an option. It just happened that a local business man with an air conditioned building saw what was happening and offered to let the handlers park their vehicles inside his building for the night. I don't know what would have happened had he not been there. The local OSPCA are very anal and were threatening to confiscate and charge. The handlers would have been forced to leave town.

This is why I like my crates in the back of my tented window campershell, we fly by the radar providing the dogs don't bark. Seems like every 3-4th time you stay at a hotel with dog boxes, your disturbed at least once, even if there are thirty other dog-trucks in the same parking lot . Thank Goodness for kennel locks as people love to mess with those little handles; like they have a right to look in; unless you have a mean truck dog who keeps them away . As for this situation I'm all for helping out the sport through education, however if a lady made it her business to mess with my shower and evening, after I've had a long day. It would probably be better for her to call the cop than have to deal with me .

People don't stand up for themselves enough; I bet the look on her face; when the desk clerk told he says go ahead call the cop was classic.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 02-06-2014 at 01:38 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

All I can say Ted, is you dun good.
    They live amoungst us, even on this forum.
    " If you dont get butterflies coming to the line you would probably be doing something different."

3 cheers for ted!!!!!!!!!!
    Dennis
    Revilo Tru Betrlate Than Never (AKC & CKC QAA) 1/17/96 - 6/22/09
    High Voltage Power Ranger MH

Ever had one give you grief at the park for having the training collar on your dog while their mix/beagle/lab whatever it was is so fat it basically waddles to get around? Sometimes a head shake and a chuckle is all that can be done. Luckily I have not yet had to deal with law enforcement but i'm sure i'll get my chance some day.

[QUOTE=HPL;1185732]
    Quote Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
    I like HPL's idea, but sometimes you just know when you meet people whether or not the'll be receptive to learning something new. I also like to reserve the right to NOT have to explain myself to strangers when I've done nothing wrong....moreso when I'm hot, and tired and in need of a shower, lol![/QUOTE]

Well, I hope you noticed that I didn't suggest that the OP dash down and talk to the woman, but rather that he go ahead and take his shower and then go down and behave like a true Texas gentleman. Not only would that have perhaps won a convert, but might also have prevented a LEO from wasting his valuable time dealing with this.
    It seems like perhaps you took offense to my post to the OP. That really wasn't my intention, and and I apologize if I somehow offended you. I was speaking directly to the OP. As I said, I do like your idea. However, I don't think it was the only way to handle the situation.

I also think, that sometimes, it's a good thing to completely avoid confrontation. In this case, the OP sounds like he was hot and tired. He'd already met the lady who was making the complaint, and he didn't get good vibes from her in that short meeting. I don't know about the OP, but when I'm not feeling my best, it's much easier to let my temper get the better of me. I think avoiding a conversation with this lady was a very good choice in this case.

Avoiding an argument can be just as admirable as making friends.

So hats off to the OP!!!!! He was insulted, inconvenienced, and treated very poorly by a stranger who literally tried to have him arrested, and he didn't retaliate or even argue with the crazy lady! He even spoke very nicely to the cops who showed up and offered them a tour of his truck, which he didn't have to do. Good Show! Sounds like a gentleman to me!

The only thing I would have done different is to invite the lady to join the cop on the investigation of the trailer as it sounds like she was not invited for the inspection. If she wanted to continue complaining on the way there, just let her put her own foot in her mouth until the cop tells her that everything is fine. It is nice she showed concern about the dogs, but just not educated enough to know better. If she seen it herself she would know better for the next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Spann View Post
    Your fault Ted. If you will stay in a one star hotel you won't have these problems. The folks at one star hotels NEVER want the police to come around and they tend to mind their own business (when they aren't breaking into your vehicle).

Lonnie Spann
    Lonnie,

If you ever come to Cheraw, the Days Inn is your kind of place. The tree hugger would be robbed between her room and the hotel office and the cops are afraid to show up even of someone called, which the patrons would certainly not do.

I am always worried about somthing like this happening--not at the typical trial hotels but at the place you stop on the way somewhere. So far, though, the worst I have had to deal with is a call at 2:00 am from the front desk to tell me that I had left my truck doors open. I freaked out until I realize that someone was trying to do the right thing but didn't understand the breezeway doors are supposed to be open in warmer weather
    Last edited by DoubleHaul; 02-06-2014 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    Lonnie,

If you ever come to Cheraw, the Days Inn is your kind of place. The tree hugger would be robbed between her room and the hotel office and the cops are afraid to show up even of someone called, which the patrons would certainly not do.

I am always worried about somthing like this happening--not at the typical trial hotels but at the place you stop on the way somewhere. So far, though, the worst I have had to deal with is a call at 2:00 am from the front desk to tell me that I had left my truck doors open. I freaked out until I realize that someone was trying to do the right thing but didn't understand the breezeway doors are supposed to be open in warmer weather
    Im just waiting for an invite and I will head up your way.

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).