The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: ARGHHH Tree Huggers

I totally understand the way Ted handled it. Furthermore I am glad that the lady didn't try to emancipate his dogs or anything crazy like that. I'm also glad the LEO was reasonable and open minded.

If Ted had tried to handle it directly with the lady it might have worked out fine or it might have escalated and he would have been in a parking lot alone with a woman possibly going berserk on him - not good.

Having said all of that I think we all need to be mindful of a few things:

1) Due to kids and dogs dying in hot vehicles on a far too frequent basis, the public is justifiably bombarded with reminders not to leave kids or pets in vehicles in warm weather even for a short period of time. These constant reminders cause some to jump to the wrong conclusions that our animals are in danger and we must be the worst kind of owners for not realizing (or caring that) we are putting our animals in danger. As a side note people are continually (correctly) told that KEEPING dogs on a chain is animal cruelty so when they see dogs temporarily staked out on a chain (which is a useful practice after training as we all know) they jump to wrong conclusions as well - good info applied incorrectly.

2) Most people have no idea about the relative luxury of the best dog trucks, trailers and toppers. They certainly look like a hot metal box.

Given #1 and #2 combined, it is understandable that people will get worked up sometimes and jump to the wrong conclusion. Some people will handle it better than others. I don't know whether the lady could have been convinced and educated or whether she would have just ranted at Ted if he showed her the box. It would have been good if she had seen it when the cop did, maybe she would have learned something.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Screw her!

Grumpy old man regards,
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

If the woman had wanted to discuss her concerns with me, she could have asked about the dogs when I held the door open for her. Instead, she elected to deliver the ultimatum to the front desk. I think the first words out of her mouth when I met with her and the police "I am not trying to jack with you" tell you everything you need to know about her attitude. As a former cop, district attorney, and sometimes criminal defense attorney, I can tell you that it is never good for a man to be in a "he said, she said" argument with no witnesses. So, I have no regrets or second thoughts about my course of action.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Ted,
    The only thing you left out was to tell her to go do something physically impossible, however you probably have more patience then me. Anyone who starts a sentence with "I am not trying to Jack with you" has every intention of trying to manipulate,
    coerce or change someone's mind and she knows it is confrontational. Issuing an ultimatum is another red flag. Doesn't matter what you know, think or how you act, this person (Tree Hugger) already had an opinion and felt the need to force the issue.
    I wouldn't have shown her a damn thing on the truck either. She has already decided that Ted was a brute for putting his dogs in a very nice Ainley box. Doesn't matter how clean the truck is, how good the dogs look or happy for that matter, she felt morally
    superior and thought she could impress her will on Ted. Good for you Ted, hope the rest of your TX trip is fun and uneventful.
    An armed man is a citizen
    An unarmed man is a subject

Wow Nice Lady!

Maybe she was looking for a "Ted"dy bear for the night, and that was her way of breaking the ice.
    Was she hot?
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    As a former cop, district attorney, and sometimes criminal defense attorney, I can tell you that it is never good for a man to be in a "he said, she said" argument with no witnesses. So, I have no regrets or second thoughts about my course of action.
    As you should not have. I find it interesting that people will offer advice to someone who has proven capable of fending for themselves & cobbling together enough funds to compete routinely at the highest level of retrieverdom. There is no shortage in this world of strange people & how they are dealt with is usually with a spur of the moment decision, generally preceded by a few previous encounters.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Adams View Post
    Maybe she was looking for a "Ted"dy bear for the night, and that was her way of breaking the ice.
    Was she hot?
    Good god Scott,I thought the same thing but didn`t have the cojones!! Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    Good god Scott,I thought the same thing but didn`t have the cojones!! Jim
    scott and jim,
    i respect ted's judgement and discreation enough to assume that if she had been hot he would have handled that situation properly too.......and not told the story!
    john mccallie

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    If the woman had wanted to discuss her concerns with me, she could have asked about the dogs when I held the door open for her. Instead, she elected to deliver the ultimatum to the front desk. I think the first words out of her mouth when I met with her and the police "I am not trying to jack with you" tell you everything you need to know about her attitude. As a former cop, district attorney, and sometimes criminal defense attorney, I can tell you that it is never good for a man to be in a "he said, she said" argument with no witnesses. So, I have no regrets or second thoughts about my course of action.
    Now we know where you went wrong. Chivalry IS dead to some of the more LIBERATED types
    Bill Davis