The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ARGHHH Tree Huggers

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    Maybe it was a rental.

Sorry, Wayne. I think it is a 2005 or so Expedition
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Too bad you had to experience that! Sometimes pet dog people are the most ignorant. Yet their dogs are the most ill mannered! Cudos to that officer! Hope you have better training days ahead without meeting up with the likes of her again!IMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

I think I'm going to weigh in at least partially on the side of the woman. I think that the best approach would have been to ask the desk to give you a few minutes as you had just stepped out of the shower and then take your shower, go down and be an ambassador for the sport. Meet the woman, show her how nice the accommodations are in the truck (I have never seen inside one of those either) and assure her that the dogs are well taken care of. That might have made a friend out of someone who was, after all, just concerned about the welfare of your animals. When people approach you concerned about the welfare of your animals in the trucks, why not take the opportunity to show off the truck? Would two or three minutes kill you? Wouldn't it be better to take a chance and possibly win a friend instead of absolutely solidifying an enemy? Dog trucks in parking lots is a close as many people will ever get to a hunt test of field trial. Why convince them that the folks who participate in these activities really are jerks?
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    I think I'm going to weigh in at least partially on the side of the woman. I think that the best approach would have been to ask the desk to give you a few minutes as you had just stepped out of the shower and then take your shower, go down and be an ambassador for the sport. Meet the woman, show her how nice the accommodations are in the truck (I have never seen inside one of those either) and assure her that the dogs are well taken care of. That might have made a friend out of someone who was, after all, just concerned about the welfare of your animals. When people approach you concerned about the welfare of your animals in the trucks, why not take the opportunity to show off the truck? Would two or three minutes kill you? Wouldn't it be better to take a chance and possibly win a friend instead of absolutely solidifying an enemy? Dog trucks in parking lots is a close as many people will ever get to a hunt test of field trial. Why convince them that the folks who participate in these activities really are jerks?
    Wowsers. I won't speak for Ted, but when someone's first order of business is to call the police on me, the relationship is off to a rocky start. I've dealt with these types. They aren't curious and no amount of reasoning will convince them that you have the dog's best interest in mind. It's not uncommon for do-gooders to "emancipate" dogs from a crate or box at a hotel even near highways. People who are either too rude or too stupid to mind their own business don't deserve the kind of treatment you describe. Anybody with half a brain understands that a guy that has a $20,000 stainless box on his $50,000 truck probably cares about his dog's welfare.

If you spend all your time being an "ambassador" to noisy @$$holes ,you'd get nothing done. Handled well Ted ! (probably better than me)
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post

Well HPL, I agree with you. I would have tried this first. And I have. One couple I met this way called me later for a friend looking for a lab pup. I pointed them in the right direction for the temperament that would best suit their family's lifestyle. There is always time to call in the law later.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Ya'll know what opinions are like, don't ya?

I'm with Ted.
    Attributed to Ben Franklin-
    "Don't Argue with Stupid People..... They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!"

"When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid."

"Arguing with Idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to sh$t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

Quote Originally Posted by Charles C. View Post
    Wowsers. I won't speak for Ted, but when someone's first order of business is to call the police on me, the relationship is off to a rocky start. I've dealt with these types. They aren't curious and no amount of reasoning will convince them that you have the dog's best interest in mind. It's not uncommon for do-gooders to "emancipate" dogs from a crate or box at a hotel even near highways. People who are either too rude or too stupid to mind their own business don't deserve the kind of treatment you describe. Anybody with half a brain understands that a guy that has a $20,000 stainless box on his $50,000 truck probably cares about his dog's welfare.

You and Shawn are just flat wrong. I have met plenty of folks with attitudes like yours in all walks of life and they mostly just make things harder for the rest of us. I couldn't have given you anything like a good estimate as to what a dog box like that costs nor would the price you paid for your truck have ANY bearing on my guess as to how you treat your animals. How gentle would you be if someone came up to you and expressed concern for your dogs' welfare in person (as opposed to suggesting that they would call the cops)? As your first name is Charles I'm going to assume that you are a male. A woman might be afraid (and by your post, sounds like justifiably) to question your behavior in person, so calling the hotel manager and suggesting that the police should be involved might seem like a reasonable act. It is neither stupid nor rude to question someone's treatment of their animals. How many CHILDREN do we hear about every year that either die of cold or heat in a closed vehicle?
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post

Sorry, Wayne. I think it is a 2005 or so Expedition
    Get a rope ? ��

Unfortunately indoctrination comes slowly..... shame too Texas is the last hope.... CO dang sure ain't winning any prizes ��
    Last edited by waycool; 02-05-2014 at 11:43 PM.
    Steve Lithgow
    Las Cruces, NM
    "The thing that makes them good... is the thing that makes them bad" ~Pete Richardson Marble Mtn Walkers, Vermont
    "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.... " ~Ron Schaitel
    "What's the difference between a pro and an amateur..... ""About a tenth of a second"" ~Bill Gibbons
    "Ugh... my dog broke....! ""There's never been one worth a flip that hasn't"" ~John Steger

I like HPL's idea, but sometimes you just know when you meet people whether or not the'll be receptive to learning something new. I also like to reserve the right to NOT have to explain myself to strangers when I've done nothing wrong....moreso when I'm hot, and tired and in need of a shower, lol!