The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: ARGHHH Tree Huggers

[QUOTE=ChessieMom;1185674]People can be really annoying sometimes, but I think alot of them have no idea how nice those dog boxes are. They're imagining a steel metal hotbox like you'd find in a pow camp for torturing prisoners, not insulation, beds, fans and traveling in style
    QUOTE]
    Amazing the difference in mentality of people, I have four kennels in the back of my truck with the Mud River Kennel covers on them. I constantly get people telling me that I spoil my dogs. While I wouldn't leave my dogs overnight in the kennels at anything below probably about 20F many people here in Alaska will line the kennels with straw and with the cover, dogs stay in them overnight with out any problems. While we don't get many days of hot weather, most people I know will have door mounted fans for circulation. Again many folks think the dogs are just spoiled because of the fans. As far as the chassis mounted dog boxes go, most are better equipped than the hotels the owner is staying in. Last hotel I stayed in didn't even have a coffee pot in the room for crying out loud. You can bet when I buy my next truck and have a chassis mount box installed it will be all inclusive with coffee pot. People just need to worry about there own lives because they usually have more faults than they can count. In an effort to make themselves feel better they look for other people to complain about. Ted I think you handled the situation far better than I would have. I would have probably had a colorful exchange with the woman, once I was done proving to the policeman the dogs weren't in harms way.
    Last edited by thelast2; 02-06-2014 at 01:06 AM.
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE

I agree with what Ted did. The only part I can't believe is that he found a "nice hotel" in Navasota. LOL!
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

I agree with Ted. And I am a person who takes my dog's into the hotel room. One sleeps on the bed. They have the life, so I think!

But I know what you folks trailers and dog kennels are like. They are really beautiful, safe and insulated.

My problem with going to that lady and speaking with her as some suggested is I would not be sure how she would react to me. Also she did not want to go that route as she immediately involved the police. Obviously a very misinformed pet owner. I don't mind being an ambassador if it is a two way street! IMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Another reason to teach our children and grandchildren things of the outdoors .
    take them hunting training fishing then they will understand our lifestyles.

Quote Originally Posted by waycool View Post
    Ted you done good.... BUT (butt ugly truth) you live in Golden and managed the good fortune to find the one "tree hugger" in Texas ? Now that is funny right there!

Best of luck in your trials hope you accomplish your goals!
    I LOLed about that myself. Wasn't there a trial in CO where the town cops told everyone they couldn't keep their dogs in trucks?

In my town the K9 cops keep their dogs in the back seats of their cruisers. They have bars in the windows with the fans, but still it gets way hotter in those things than an insulated kennel even with the fans on. Had one come up and check out my truck once and now he is trying to convince the city to get them pickups with insulated slide-ins.

Most of this type don't understand the meaning of a Working Retriever, or any animal for that matter.
    Since most don't work them selfs. How else could you find the time to monitor the rest of the world.
    How could a animal enjoy the work it was bred for?

Lee
    With a dog...You never hunt alone.

Ted,
    As a certified "tree hugger" I resent being labeled in with low information busy-bodies. Glad however that you stood your ground and especially happy that you were lucky enough to have an intelligent cop respond.
    I've never had to deal with someone accusing us of mistreating our dogs - I'd be happy to show them our annual vet bills which are a multiple of what we spend on ourselves - but I did have to advise a WalMart matron that if she did not get her urchins fingers off of my dog box I would happily cut them off and feed to the dogs inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    Also she did not want to go that route as she immediately involved the police. Obviously a very misinformed pet owner. I don't mind being an ambassador if it is a two way street! IMO
    She didn't immediately involve the police. When the call came in that someone was complaining and if the dogs werenot taken into the hotel, THEN they would call the police. There was an opportunity to educate the public, but the choice was made to call the cops. She was obviously concerned about the dogs and didn't understand chassis mounted dog trucks. She could have been savings dogs lived instead of inconveniencing Ted.

I also would have tried to avoid calling the cops because in my opinion, they should be out saving lives, etc, not dealing with something that perhaps I could have dealt with myself. Perhaps just approaching her. And saying "I understand you are concerned about my dogs..... Let me show your their ride..." Could have changed the whole situation.

i am always amazed of how society continues to show a lack of civility towards others..... An eye for an eye doesn't always cut it.
    Last edited by JusticeDog; 02-06-2014 at 07:35 AM.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    She didn't immediately involve the police. When the call came in that someone was complaining and if the dogs werenot taken into the hotel, THEN they would call the police. There was an opportunity to educate the public, but the choice was made to call the cops. She was obviously concerned about the dogs and didn't understand chassis mounted dog trucks. She could have been savings dogs lived instead of inconveniencing Ted.

I also would have tried to avoid calling the cops because in my opinion, they should be out saving lives, etc, not dealing with something that perhaps I could have dealt with myself. Perhaps just approaching her. And saying "I understand you are concerned about my dogs..... Let me show your their ride..." Could have changed the whole situation.

i am always amazed of how society continues to show a lack of civility towards others..... An eye for an eye doesn't always cut it.
    I understand what you are saying but it could have been better handled on the desk clerk's and her part. She could have had the desk clerk tell Ted what the problem was and why she did not like what Ted was doing with his dogs. And say she wanted an explanation? Ted then could have the opportunity to explain why he chose not to put the dogs inside. Not just she is going to call the police if...he did not comply to her request. I firmly believe she would not have been satisfied and Ted still would have to explain to the enforcement. I think the scenario was best b/c then the law will tell her (if case she is dissatisfied) which is always better than confronting individuals this day and age. IMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    I understand what you are saying but it could have been better handled on the desk clerk's and her part. She could have had the desk clerk tell Ted what the problem was and why she did not like what Ted was doing with his dogs. And say she wanted an explanation? Ted then could have the opportunity to explain why he chose not to put the dogs inside. Not just she is going to call the police if...he did not comply to her request. I firmly believe she would not have been satisfied and Ted still would have to explain to the enforcement. I think the scenario was best b/c then the law will tell her (if case she is dissatisfied) which is always better than confronting individuals this day and age. IMO

Read again.

The desk clerk told the woman that I bring my dogs in at night. She wanted them brought in immediately - or she was going to call the police.

I don't placate those that threaten me.

For those who believe that they could have - or should have done otherwise - I say Publisher's Clearing House is looking for you.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com