The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: ARGHHH Tree Huggers

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post

Read again.

The desk clerk told the woman that I bring my dogs in at night. She wanted them brought in immediately - or she was going to call the police.

I don't placate those that threaten me.

For those who believe that they could have - or should have done otherwise - I say Publisher's Clearing House is looking for you.
    Okay I am not disagreeing!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    Okay I am not disagreeing!

I understand. I simply think some of the responses here are silly ... and formed in an artificial vacuum.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

I think what some of you don't understand is these folks don't listen to reason. I had a neighbor who mentioned three or four times that my dogs looked skinny. I explained that they ate plenty of high quality food and that they were thin because they got a ton of exercise. Around that time one of my dogs started having problems with loose stools. This went on for weeks and I tried everything including switching foods. I later found out that the neighbor was feeding my dogs scraps and treats everyday when I wasn't home. If you think you can reason with a mindless busy body, go ahead, but I won't waste time doing it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    I understand what you are saying but it could have been better handled on the desk clerk's and her part. She could have had the desk clerk tell Ted what the problem was and why she did not like what Ted was doing with his dogs. And say she wanted an explanation? Ted then could have the opportunity to explain why he chose not to put the dogs inside. Not just she is going to call the police if...he did not comply to her request. I firmly believe she would not have been satisfied and Ted still would have to explain to the enforcement. I think the scenario was best b/c then the law will tell her (if case she is dissatisfied) which is always better than confronting individuals this day and age. IMO
    It's all in the approach.... Greeting her with an "I understand you are concerned about my dogs" typically will disarm a person. If it doesn't then so be it. The cops waste their time. It's the bullying approach or, the go "f" yourself that is confrontational and can cause problems in this day and age. I don't think there was any fear of a woman with shelties.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

She was on a mission with righteous indignation from the start. She had already escalated the encounter to the third level before her communication with Ted. You can't fix (or reason with) stupid.

Someone recently told me that "it never pays to argue with an idiot"

It seems as though in situations like that, having the authorities involved prevents escalation.

I like that idea.
    Darrin Greene

Since dog trucks are fairly common both in the area and at the local hotels and motels the hotel manager should have and could have defused the situation by explaining that dog people are very good customers who take very good care of their animals and are respectful of the rights of others.

From one ex-cop to another ex-cop, would rather deal with the cops Ted, then try to explain something to a miscreant . Would have done the same thing.
    Earl Dillow

I agree with Ted on this one.

If someone approaches me to ask about the dogs being in the dog box, I will explain it and show them the box. However, if they threaten me with the police before any other conversation has taken place, and try to tell me what and when to do something with my dogs, my response will be the same as Ted's.

Not long after I moved here, I was pulling into the Walmart parking lot and saw a truck with a dog topper on it. My thought? "Cool...dog people!" After I parked my truck, I saw a lady pushing her shopping cart to that truck, so I figured I'd go over and meet a dog person. (Sled dogs, not retrievers) When she saw me walking over, her posture immediately became defensive, until we had exchanged a few words. She said she is so tired of people telling her how cruel it is to make dogs ride in the topper, when they should be riding in the cab in the A/C. Of course, they don't bother to ask about that big A/C unit sitting on the topper itself.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Since dog trucks are fairly common both in the area and at the local hotels and motels the hotel manager should have and could have defused the situation by explaining that dog people are very good customers who take very good care of their animals and are respectful of the rights of others.

the manager tried. She wanted to call police and did
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com