The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Average Cost??

Default Average Cost??

Just curious what the average cost is to send one to be profesionally trained and campaigned until it recieved its HRCH and MH titles. Dog comes home to hunt during hunting seasons then returns to compete. Not counting puppy price, vet bills and things like that. I know all dogs are different, but I bet there is an average cost to have one fully trained and titled?

Budget $1,000/month for duration. If you want to "compete" look into field trials.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Kelley View Post
    Just curious what the average cost is to send one to be profesionally trained and campaigned until it recieved its HRCH and MH titles. Dog comes home to hunt during hunting seasons then returns to compete. Not counting puppy price, vet bills and things like that. I know all dogs are different, but I bet there is an average cost to have one fully trained and titled?
    Think of it as putting a kid thru college.

What with cost to Pro and entry fees, I would figure over a $1,000.00 a month

How many months from start to finish do you think? are we talking 12k from start to finish or more then that. saying they compete 6 months are year?

Figure the dog goes off at about 7 months. Stays with the pro until the titles, varies but probably until it is about 2-3 years old. That would not be taking the dog home. If you did that, deduct how long you would have it home for hunting season (but I would keep it with the pro for the first year), but you would probably have to add more on the back end as losing that training time would probably mean the dog was older when it titled.

With a talented dog and a good trainer, figure 30-36 months of training and testing to get both titles. So about $30,000 to $40,000. 3-4 YOA for an MH is about the norm.-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Ouch!!! LOL
    I was way off! I was hoping more like $10K Haha DREAM CRUSHED......

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Kelley View Post
    Ouch!!! LOL
    I was way off! I was hoping more like $10K Haha DREAM CRUSHED......
    Well, you don't have to pay it all up front Also, there is no reason you couldn't get a MH on your dog without a pro. It would take longer, most likely, but it is certainly possible. If you really want bang for your buck, put the dog with a pro until it is through transition then take up the training yourself. The dog will have basic skills and you can work on the more advanced stuff on your own.

I agree was just thinking it would be nice to have one 3 or so that was finished to enjoy hunting since that what I get to do most of. I don't have the know how to even pass a MH test with a MH dog LOL.

If you are just looking for an HRCH and MH title, I think you can get it done cheaper if you find the right breeding that gives you the best chance to make what you are looking for. A balanced breeding and a good trainer can put HRCH tiles on pretty close to a year or a little after. It really just comes down to finding a nice balance breeding and a pro that is geared to get you what you want. Be sure to find someone that can devote good time each day with your dog. Be careful and do your research, if you put your dog with someone that has 30+ dogs on the truck you might be doubling the time in training. If they do have several dogs just make sure they have a good system so your animal gets the drill work it needs as well as marks and setups. Gerald PM me