The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Average Cost??

Most trainers around here charge $400-$600 per month. They would need your dog for about 6-8 months to put an HRCH on him, so that's around $3000-$4000 for training. You also have the costs of tests and handling fees. Assuming the dog passes every test, you'll run 2 Started, 3 Seasoned, and 4 Finished tests at an average cost of $60 each for $540 and about the same for handling fees ($540). So, if your dog passes everything, it will cost around $5500 for an HRCH.
    Then, if you want to go for 1000 points, like I did, (with a dog that didn't pass every test), well, I don't even want to think about what I've spent. But, we've had a BALL!!!!
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH JHR RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR CH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC (Blew)

Quote Originally Posted by David McCracken View Post
    Most trainers around here charge $400-$600 per month. They would need your dog for about 6-8 months to put an HRCH on him, so that's around $3000-$4000 for training. You also have the costs of tests and handling fees. Assuming the dog passes every test, you'll run 2 Started, 3 Seasoned, and 4 Finished tests at an average cost of $60 each for $540 and about the same for handling fees ($540). So, if your dog passes everything, it will cost around $5500 for an HRCH.
    Then, if you want to go for 1000 points, like I did, (with a dog that didn't pass every test), well, I don't even want to think about what I've spent. But, we've had a BALL!!!!
    I agree with David. That is the average price that you will spend for an HRCH dog. Give or take depending on the amount of tests that are ran. You will probable save a little buying one already finished.

Another question to add to this…how many of you have bought a dog and left it with a trainer for this long to achieve these titles? If you figure you send the dog off at 6 months or so, and it takes another 6-8 months to get to HRCH (at minimum) and you factor in that most people pay around $1,000 for the dog (at least), then another average of $5,500 in training fees you're looking at best case scenario: $6,500 investment and not having your dog for at least one hunting season if his birthday falls in a good time of the year.

I'm just curious how many people have put the time and money into doing this? If you have no plans on breeding him, is there still an advantage to it?

We had a dog get to SH at about 14 months or so. The trainer asked my bro in law to keep him and continue running him because he had potential. With hunting season quickly approaching, he declined to leave him with the trainer because he wanted to hunt him. His reasoning was two fold: #1) he bought the dog to hunt #2) he thought the more time he spent in the blind at a young age picking up birds, the better hunting dog he would be later. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by WBF View Post
    For $40k I hope I'm close to having an FC. You can find a AA washout for $10,000 to $15,000 that will run all the MH test you want. Hunt test pros buy them for their clients everyday. Some stack their trucks with them to run the SRS. A nice trained dog will make any handler look good.
    Amen.

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

Quote Originally Posted by cvrsix View Post
    I have a 3 year old HRCH. Working towards MH now. In first year he was with trainer 4 months. Second year 5 months. Third year 3 months. During the time at trainers I tried to go and train with them weekly, and brought him home on weekends. When he wasn't in full time training with pro I work him a little each day if possible. We run lots of tests. Went SHR, HR, then HRCH. In process of getting AKC titles now.

Approx year or so with pro full time spread over 3 years.

Not sure how some are calculating time or money.

I only count training fees, and hunt test expenses. Even if not hunt test or hunting dog I would still have food and vet expenses, so why include.

I couldn't have left mine for 12-15 months straight and expected same result. He needed to mature. Hunting was good to settle and focus him, plus it increased his drive and excitement to train. Plus I needed time to learn as well to be better handler. My trainer has always joked with me that he knew my dog could do it, but he wasn't sure about me. So, he was training both of us!

My trainer's fees include training and food. No hunt test or travel included. You pay that as you test. He will run your dog, but encourages owners to handle themselves. I paid approx $500 a month.

Brett Bunk at Cuivre River Retrievers is my pro. Small operation. Trains only 10-12 at time. Books almost year in advance.

This is exactly the way it goes with most of my client dogs. It's not that big a deal or actually require a real special dog to earn a MH or MH level at 3 yr old whether you want the title or not.
    If I could make 30 or 40 grand on a master level dog I would not take any client dogs on I would just go buy a whole litter of decently bred pups train them to master level and sell them. Hell I would only need to sell a couple a year! Now if your looking to end up with a FC quality dog the 30 or 40 grand is not unrealistic.

You start wanting to add advanced work to dogs it takes time!! Several months if not years Just think about the average age of a dog that passes a HRCH MH... its about 3.5-5 years old
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

I understand just wondered how much a guy would end up spending to get there.

have a friend with a NFTC which she bred, had 10 pups which sold for $5000.00 a piece. Commented that that was a nice chunk of change. Her reply was that it was a drop in the ocean compared to what she had invested in the dog.

I dont even want to add up what my HRCH cost!!!!
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ADB391 View Post
    Another question to add to this…how many of you have bought a dog and left it with a trainer for this long to achieve these titles? If you figure you send the dog off at 6 months or so, and it takes another 6-8 months to get to HRCH (at minimum) and you factor in that most people pay around $1,000 for the dog (at least), then another average of $5,500 in training fees you're looking at best case scenario: $6,500 investment and not having your dog for at least one hunting season if his birthday falls in a good time of the year.

I'm just curious how many people have put the time and money into doing this? If you have no plans on breeding him, is there still an advantage to it?

We had a dog get to SH at about 14 months or so. The trainer asked my bro in law to keep him and continue running him because he had potential. With hunting season quickly approaching, he declined to leave him with the trainer because he wanted to hunt him. His reasoning was two fold: #1) he bought the dog to hunt #2) he thought the more time he spent in the blind at a young age picking up birds, the better hunting dog he would be later. Thoughts?
    I bought my dog for hunting too. The dog in my avatar is a neutered male. We had a couple labs several years ago my wife and I trained. She put a Junior Hunter title on one and I hunted both of them. I thought I could train this guy to hunt but found I really didn't have time. So I looked around and found a pro I really like and then sent him off to get forced, collar conditioned, and started on handling. I got him back after 4 months and I was happy and had a dog I could hunt. Then the HT game bit me so we did the Junior Hunt tests and a couple Started ones. I decided I liked the game so I sent him back for another round to get him and me, mostly me, ready for Senior hunt tests. I think that was another 4 months. He has his Senior title. Now I am trying to train him to be ready for Master tests this fall with a lot guidance from my pro and others. He has 2 years of hunting experience and yes I don't really need to put any more titles on him but like I said earlier I like the game. Getting ready for round 2 as we just bought a puppy a couple weeks back and will follow the same path with professional training along with some breaks in between for hunting etc.

The advantage to me in using a pro is the time reduction to get your dog where you want it to be as well as minimizing the time to unlearn a bad practice. As a novice trainer even following a program little things can be overlooked. As for Hunt Tests or Field Trials that is a personal choice. I have met some real nice folks along the way at Hunt Tests.
    Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?