The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Average Cost??

Another thing to keep in mind is your dogs health. Sport injuries can hit your pocketbook pretty hard.
    Get health insurance for your dogs right away, when they're puppies.
    And back to the original topic.
    BUDGET $1,000/month for a dog in training/running events.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

I have a 20 month old BLM. I bought him from a highly, highly reputable trainer in Jonesboro Arkansas. I also had this pro trainer train my dog as well. I ran him in 4/4 seasoned tests to get his HR title at 16 months and 5/5 in SH at 18 months old. We have taken duck season off from training and focused on hunting. He picked up 250 ducks this year plus countless pheasants from a few tower shoots. I expanded off of the fundamentals the pro put in my dog for 10 months. I couldnt be happier... All in all, I had kennel fees of $750/month x 10 months. That comes out to $7500.

I ran him in all the hunt tests myself. I have probably $600 in entry fees. I chose to run him in the tests myself because 1 i thought I would save some money.... I totally forgot travel expense and time involved. I am glad I ran my dog, but dont cross out letting a pro run him for you. Its not a bad deal in the big picture.

I have $8500 +/- in kennel fees and hunt test entry fees. I hunted my dog his first season and he did phenomenal. We are training for finished right now, and have been doing finished work for quite some time. I should have his HRCH this spring and have his MH this fall. He will be 2.5 years old in December for referance. Hope this helps.

The route I chose to go wasnt the cheapest, but I have a solid trained dog with tons of potential. I know many who have spent alot more, but I wouldnt trade it for the world the route I chose. The bond created between us passing our first hunt test together to picking up his first mallard and Sprig Pintail in an Arkansas Ricefield, priceless...

Good luck!
    Last edited by SWBB; 02-06-2014 at 11:49 AM.

At 55 cents per mile, it costs us going on $1000 per month in auto expense. Add the cost of food & supplements, entry fees, ground fees, etc., it is cheaper send to a pro than train ourselves...but not near as rewarding. Of course the cost goes down in places that do not entail driving at least 100 miles one way to get halfway decent technical water.

Wow...this is why I really like this forum....this is a great post, with many really good comments....

I have been a duck hunter for most of my life, but until 25+ years ago I never had a dog. I then got my first Golden Retriever (I know, I know...why not a Lab, that's another story). I started reading books on how to train dogs to hunt. My oldest son and I spent most of a summer training her to retrieve, sit, heal, etc.,...that season out we went to hunt with her. Fortunately, she had a lot of natural talent, but if she did not see the fall, my son became the retriever. I knew there was more to learn...

A friend ask me to a hunt test, had no idea what it was...but the people their looked at my dog, and took lots of time to start teaching me about hunt tests, retrievers, and even talked about Field Trials. I left that test inspired to learn more. Since then I have had 5 more Goldens (3 still with me). I have used pro trainers on all of them, including my current girl who is in Texas now getting her second round of training. The first two dogs I only had trained for 4 months, to a level to pass JH. With each dog and I have learned more and I was able to take them to where they could line and handle fairly well when hunting with us.

My initial goal was to have a good hunting dog, that goal was accomplished with all my dogs...but during this time...I also got hooked on hunt tests..I earned some titles but never a MH....this time, with my new girl, we plan to go all the way. She has all the talent....I'm just not sure my trainer will ever get me good enough to handle her at that level....I hesitate to have someone else handle her because, it is not the title itself, it is me handling her to a title that I want.

For having these dogs is something special as both my wife and I love the dogs, I love to hunt with them, and one of my favorite pass times is running them on hunt tests. That is why I spend the money and the time.....not to make money on breeding, or selling them after training...

I think it is important if you spend this time and money to know exactly what you want out of it....for me it is pure pleasure (sometime frustrating)...but then what isn't if it is a challenge....

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post

She has all the talent....I'm just not sure my trainer will ever get me good enough to handle her at that level....I hesitate to have someone else handle her because, it is not the title itself, it is me handling her to a title that I want.
    I feel the same way too! I feel like any of his short comings will be my fault, not his. I would like to do some hunt tests if we ever get good enough. It just seems fun

If you have a hobby it is probably not cheap. Golf, fishing, photography etc. If you calculate the cost versus the level of enjoyment you get and it does not measure up to expectations find a new hobby. Field trials have been my hobby for my entire adult life and I have never considered the cost except for how it fits into my budget which has changed considerably in almost 45 years.

I disagree with Paul that a so called field trial washout equals baggage as I could give many examples of those dogs who went on to have successful field trial careers, careers as family hunting dogs, careers as professional hunting guide dogs, and successful careers as detection dogs. Generally buying a trained dog is cheaper than starting with a puppy without the time and risk involved.

i an not advertising but.......i can tell y'all where there is a well bred, solid, qual/master/finished dog for waaaaaaay less than $40k!
    john mccallie

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    i an not advertising but.......i can tell y'all where there is a well bred, solid, qual/master/finished dog for waaaaaaay less than $40k!
    But does the dog have "baggage"?

Quote Originally Posted by GaryJ View Post
    The advantage to me in using a pro is the time reduction to get your dog where you want it to be as well as minimizing the time to unlearn a bad practice. As a novice trainer even following a program little things can be overlooked.
    As a new trainer, one of the best things you can do is have a pro FF and CC your dog for you. That way you can be sure of your foundation, and you can get some training in how to do some of that stuff as well. It has been invaluable to me and my dog.

Once you do that, you may also get opportunities to go back and train with that pro sometimes, or maybe even bounce ideas off them. Around here, being able to send them up north is good too.

Just my $0.02.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    But does the dog have "baggage"?
    for $20k he can definitely have baggage! i can pack his things in a bag by loius vuitton, coach, tumi.......you name it!
    john mccallie