The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Average Cost??

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    I know this from personal experience having sold one, a 5k puppy at 24 months for 6.5K, he retrieved over 200 ducks this season and has a satisfied owner, I know of several more, the sellers, like me, more concerned about a good home than the sale's price.

I'd certainly like the opportunity to provide a good warm bed inside, and lots of good pheasant, duck, and dove hunts as well as HRCH hunt tests to keep a FT WASHOUT active should you know of any more dogs that fit this bill.
    Last edited by jpws; 02-07-2014 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    Fair enough, Ed. I'm sure that quite a few FT washouts go on to be great HT and hunting dogs.

Today, good FT breedings are in the 3k-5k range for an 8 week old ball of fur. I question how many All-Age washouts go for as little as $10k. The owners would easily have double that amount invested in the dog. -Paul

I sold a pup (Fc x qaa) for $1500 . Bought him back for $2750 at 2 years old. He had approx 15 months of professional training. Plan on running quals and master tests with him this year

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    I know this from personal experience having sold one, a 5k puppy at 24 months for 6.5K, he retrieved over 200 ducks this season and has a satisfied owner, I know of several more, the sellers, like me, more concerned about a good home than the sale's price.
    Lucky people.
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Kelley View Post
    Ouch!!! LOL
    I was way off! I was hoping more like $10K Haha DREAM CRUSHED......
    Depending on the dog's inherent talent, your ability to train on your own with help from good amateurs and a pro here and there, and some luck, the cost can be much less than that. The stars kind of lined up for me and my first dog. He had sufficient talent, very birdy, enough drive without being over the top and he really wanted to please me. I was able to hook up with an amateur working guy who possessed good dog sense and was just happy to have another working guy willing to throw birds evenings and weekends. The last pice of the puzzle was a great HT pro who was flexible and willing to take the dog for a month here and there to help work out issues.

Not counting entry fees and travel cost, I think I spent around $2,500.00 (1993 era) in training cost to run him through JH, SH, MH, NAHRA started and intermediate titles. The training with my buddy, growing in the sport with my dog and meet lots of fun people all over the west was priceless. If I were you I would find a good pro to take your dog through basics, figure $700-$800.00 a month for four to six months. Work with the pro as much as you can, then take your dog through Junior and Senior yourself. Find some amateurs to work with or go back to the pro for another season for that big step up to Master.

BTW, a senior hunter titled dog is a very good hunting companion. Don't be discouraged by the crazy $30-$40,000.00 figure. You could spend that as an absentee dog owner, and I shudder to think what I've spent on dogs the past twenty years, but you certainly can title your dog in hunt test for much less. That's the beauty of hunt test, they were designed for the working guy hunter to have fun with his or her dog.

John

Lucky people.
    Cheryl and I gave away a $2,000.00 washout with four months of training, (add on another $3,000.00). Like Dr. Ed we were more concerned with our pup going to a good home rather than get our money back.

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Cheryl and I gave away a $2,000.00 washout with four months of training, (add on another $3,000.00). Like Dr. Ed we were more concerned with our pup going to a good home rather than get our money back.
    Lucky dog and people.
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

aint a pro. hang out with a pro a lot though. see a lot of dogs come in and out of his program. to answer the original question. I'd say its gonna cost what it costs for that dog. Can't really put a price on it. way yonder too many variables.
    HRCH Hudson River Drake (Possom)
    HRCH Hudson River Saying Grace (Gracie)

With a talented dog and a good trainer, figure 30-36 months of training and testing to get both titles. So about $30,000 to $40,000. 3-4 YOA for an MH is about the norm.-Paul

Just one more point to make. If it cost 30 to 40 K to get a MH I seriously doubt there would be over 800 dogs qualified for the Master National. As I said with a decent pup I can do it for a 1/3 or maybe 1/2 at the most of that.

Quote Originally Posted by jpws View Post
    I'd certainly like the opportunity to provide a good warm bed inside, and lots of good pheasant, duck, and dove hunts as well as HRCH hunt tests to keep them active should you know of any more dogs that fit this bill.
    i am certainly no dr. ed. but i mentioned that i "know of" one for waaaaaaay less than $40k. i mentioned $20k, which includes a $13.5k set of designer luggage!.......and no pm from you yet?
    john mccallie

Roseberry Im sure not in the market to buy one but it sounds like it would have been a cheaper route!