The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunt Test Special Accomodations

Quote Originally Posted by Twin Willows Labs View Post
    I appreciate the insight. I am fairly sure she can pin the JH/SHR without any help. On blinds, even when she could hear, I almost never used a whistle in the field (or water). I'd send her out and she would follow a line until she wasn't sure of herself, then look back for guidance, at which point she handles like a dream. She's always been extremely nosy and would always prefer to hunt up her own birds to being handled. As fun as it would be for her to title SH at 13, it really doesn't matter to me whether or not she passes. I am just looking to get experience as a test handler with a dog I know to be capable of both finding the bird and making me look good before I step in with the little one.
    As a judge or a HT committee person, I would be willing to make any exception I could to let the old girl run, but an e-collar is too much. That said, if I were judging an old dog I knew was deaf and the dog went out and popped, if the smart handler blew the whistle and then gave a cast, I might just run out of lead in my pencil at that moment

Senior Member Twin Willows Labs's Avatar

I guess that is the question, then. As she can't whistle sit, she'd have to pop on her own (which she does anyway when she feels she's lost the line...remember, she's a field dog, not a HT or FT dog). I trust her to do that, and to take casts like she always has. It would go back on the judges as to whether or not to "grade for understanding and intent" instead of crispness of the run. Judges making that kind of accommodation should be enough for her to pass.
    "If you're too busy to duck hunt, you're too busy" - Jase Robertson
    "You're going hunting again? In this weather?" - My fiance

Twin Willows Lil Miss Zoey JH
    Soon to be the next big thing.
    Andrew's Baby Saint
    The queen bee. Old and deaf. My version of the once-in-a-lifetime dog. I regret not sharing her with the world.

Chris... It would be fun to see her line it, but depending on distance, she might be a little unsure. How close do you think the line would have to be to not count as a wind save?
    Julie... I am aware of the blinds. I am honestly already looking past the JH/SHR for both dogs, as I don't foresee it challenging either of them.
    I'm not the judge on the day you're running, so I have no way to answer the question in bold.

I'd urge you to not expect any special consideration at all if you choose to run this dog. The rulebooks do cover making accomodations for handler disabilities, but not for dog disabilities. The hunt tests require the judges to judge all dogs against a standard - so I'd urge you to not expect anything beyond that.

Otherwise, you're setting yourself up for disappointment that's un-necessary.

Good luck with both old and young...have fun!
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

I guess that is the question, then. As she can't whistle sit, she'd have to pop on her own (which she does anyway when she feels she's lost the line...remember, she's a field dog, not a HT or FT dog). I trust her to do that, and to take casts like she always has. It would go back on the judges as to whether or not to "grade for understanding and intent" instead of crispness of the run. Judges making that kind of accommodation should be enough for her to pass.
    I would urge you to not expect any judge to make special accomodations for the part you put in quotations. The hunt test rulebooks are not constructed to ask judges to account for this. If you are arriving with a dog that's not in condition to meet the standard, it is realistic to expect that the dog may not be given a passing score.

If you're going to include her,and to have fun, that's great! But it is not realistic to expect judges to modify the standard to accomodate a dog with any sort of disability. They either can do the work , or they can't.

You've already read that at least one judge might be willing to give the dog a special consideration. You could run into more who will as well. But I think it is good to remember that these folks signed on to try and do their best to judge according to the rulebook and the standard. Some won't be comfortable giving extra consideration due to age, poor hearing, past surgery, etc.

That's my opinion.

Thanks, Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

If judges start judging for intent, then I'll never fail another dog. All my dogs are deaf, here I'll blow the whistle and prove it....

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    If judges start judging for intent, then I'll never fail another dog. All my dogs are deaf, here I'll blow the whistle and prove it....

/Paul
    Some of those same dogs who are deaf to a sit whistle are incredibly tuned-in to the sound off a safety clicking off.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    You've already read that at least one judge might be willing to give the dog a special consideration.
    Well, I don't judge HTs any more, so it wouldn't be much help anyway. But a 13 year old running JH? You gotta love that. Of course I was a soft touch on JH anyway.

Chris is right, though, don't get too caught up in passing. You may run into some hard types but if you are doing it mostly to get yourself some extra line time, it is all good anyway.

Maybe Blinddogmaddie will see this or someone will make contact. He would be a good person to talk to - believe he got titles of HRCH & MH on his dog that is blind, he lives in Wisconsin.

My old guy Murphy ran 10 HRC Seasoned tests from October 2012 thru September 2013. Some passes weren't pretty but he passed 8 of 10 - he turned 14 Christmas eve. Hope he'll still be able to play the game this year. I'm so proud of him and he loves the game and the birds!

Have fun in what ever you decide to do!
    Last edited by Chuck Ward; 02-06-2014 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Correct spelling of Blinddogmaddie

If you have to run a blind in JH you deserve to fail.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon