The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog randomly starts swallowing hard and licking everything within reach

Default Dog randomly starts swallowing hard and licking everything within reach

Sunday evening my dog came to me distressed, swallowing, and licking furniture/the floor/anything within reach over and over. I thought something was lodged in her throat. I opened her mouth but didn't see anything. I gave her hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting and she threw up all her dinner and the episode was over.

Monday evening I could hear her coughing while I was taking a shower. I come out and she had thrown up her dinner in my bedroom but was still doing the swallowing thing. I gave her hydrogen peroxide and water. She threw up the fluids and was fine.

No problems Tuesday or Wednesday.

Today she's had some swallowing thing episodes that only lasted a a couple minutes. No choking, coughing, or vomiting, and not really any of the licking. I called the vet, they don't have any suggestions besides bring her in for a look. I found some threads online with people describing the exact same thing but no clear cause. I read that it may be post nasal drip or an allergic reaction to something. Any ideas? Thanks

could it be something lodged in the esophagus? I'd get the dog to the vet asap. better to have it checked out and be allergies, rather than do nothing and find out something's stuck in there crosswise and have the poor thing horribly injured or worse.

I don't think it's something in her throat. When she is not having these short episodes, she is completely normal. For example, she was swallowing hard a few hours ago when I called the vet, but she has been totally relaxed and mostly sleeping since then.

If you're feeding dry kibble Might just try either adding water to the kibble (it will slow down how fast she can eat it)or feed smaller portions... I'm thinking she may actually be regurgitating her food. Thus the swallowing. How long after feeding does it occur?

Or could try can food just to see.... Be careful with too much food mixed with water (portion) the rapid expansion in the stomach could exacerbate bloating and lead to torsion... might soak it before hand... especially if she's older

Surprised vet had no ideas but then again some are just money grabbers....

Hope it clears up on its own ��
    Steve Lithgow
    Las Cruces, NM
    "The thing that makes them good... is the thing that makes them bad" ~Pete Richardson Marble Mtn Walkers, Vermont
    "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.... " ~Ron Schaitel
    "What's the difference between a pro and an amateur..... ""About a tenth of a second"" ~Bill Gibbons
    "Ugh... my dog broke....! ""There's never been one worth a flip that hasn't"" ~John Steger

Quote Originally Posted by waycool View Post
    If you're feeding dry kibble Might just try either adding water to the kibble (it will slow down how fast she can eat it)or feed smaller portions... I'm thinking she may actually be regurgitating her food. Thus the swallowing. How long after feeding does it occur?

Or could try can food just to see.... Be careful with too much food mixed with water (portion) the rapid expansion in the stomach could exacerbate bloating and lead to torsion... might soak it before hand... especially if she's older

Surprised vet had no ideas but then again some are just money grabbers....

Hope it clears up on its own ��
    It doesn't happen any specific time after she eats; it happened randomly mid afternoon today. She is actually a very picky eater and eats pretty slow on her own.

Try some pepcid with her meal. Regular pepcid. One tab. I'm wondering if she doesn't have an upset stomach. The licking and swallowing was what one of mine always did.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Money grabber. Awesome.

My dog did that to puke. I just put her outside for a few minutes, she ate grass threw up and she was good...

I have not even really thought about it latley but come to think of it since I switched to a grain free dog food I can't remember her doing it.

Marissa Everett

Instead of focusing on what’s missing, learn to appreciate what’s already there.

Sorry sbl prolly a bit strong with my term there lol ..... I get worried when I walk in a vets office and I feel like I'm in a cross between a car dealership and the entrance to cracker barrel ��
    Steve Lithgow
    Las Cruces, NM
    "The thing that makes them good... is the thing that makes them bad" ~Pete Richardson Marble Mtn Walkers, Vermont
    "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.... " ~Ron Schaitel
    "What's the difference between a pro and an amateur..... ""About a tenth of a second"" ~Bill Gibbons
    "Ugh... my dog broke....! ""There's never been one worth a flip that hasn't"" ~John Steger

It sounds like nausea. Many dogs will start swallowing rapidly and lick the floor looking for anything to ingest. Mine do the same thing at times the go outside, eat pine needles or grass and vomit. Pepcid might help if its due to excess acid. If it continues you might want to have the dog seen. Acid reflux can cause damage to the esophagus that can be painful and in some instances can scar the esophagus. Usually can be treated medically, but sometimes a diet change is needed.

Dawn
    Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HRCH WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC; Adirondac Tracks in the Wilderness

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.