The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Food Question

Default Food Question

I have a 8 month old female: How much should I feed her a day. Also right now she eats like its her last meal. I even bought one of the bowls with the hump in the center to try and slow her down. thanks
    Got Duck

A lot of how much the dog gets a day is based of the requirements for each individual dog. I would suggest feeding a high quality feed such as Purina Pro Plan and following the recommendations on the bag and spread it out to 2 or 3 feedings a day. And then adjust as to what your girl needs to keep her in a good body condition score. Don't feed her based on how quick she eats her food. Some dogs eat quick and some eat slow. And some dogs handle diets differently. MY BLF handles Pro Plan 30/20 very well but I cannot feed it to my YLF bc she puts weight on VERY easily with it, so she get Pro Plan Focus instead.

If you want to get more technical with it there are several formulas based on weight that you can use. If you wanna go that route feel free to send me a PM and I will do what I can to help ya out.

Enough to keep her at a healthy weight. Your the judge of that. You should also be feeding in smaller meals a couple times a day. At 8 months this would be a morning and evening meal, and perhaps lunch if your having trouble maintaining weight. Most dog food brands have some sort of feeding guide as a starting point on the bag. To give you an idea, my dog is 85 pounds and eats twice a day with 1 1/2 cups per meal for a total of 3 cups a day. That may not be enough for some dogs, or its to much for others. In the summer months he eats a little less like 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 cups a day. It all depends on the dog.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)

Thanks she eating pro plan 1 morn and 1 cup night. Doing good so far, the eating so fast was worrying me. Again thanks for the help
    Got Duck

I stumbled upon this idea by accident. I have a couple bowls like this and my son was helping me feed .I've got a girl that eats really fast also. He was talking to me and not paying attention...long story short , she can't eat the food as fast when the bowl is up side down . Instead of a pile of food in the middle it is a ring of food on the outside.

Might be worth a short in your case.

http://www.dogsafield.com/Non-Tip-St.../#.UvqtAPldVSs
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "