The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7 Week Old Lab Pup Transport Question

Default 7 Week Old Lab Pup Transport Question

Going Next Saturday The 15th To Gettysburg Pa. To Pick up a new black lab female pup. This is about 3 hours drive for us. I was just going to let her ride home in the back seat of my truck with my 2 kids. Figure on having to make a few pee breaks along the turnpike but am I forgetting anything?? We had a lab when I was a kid that got really sick riding in a vehicle. Thanks for any help.

Letting her ride with the kids in the back seat is great just make sure she is safe in a crate.
    Effective gun control is hitting what you aim at!

I just picked up a 7 week old Monday. Made a 5 hour trip with me. Pretty much slept most of the way. Should be fine!

Good Luck!

Thanks for the help.

As I've seen added to these types of posts and agree...avoid heavily dog trafficked areas when you let pup out to pee. It hasn't had a full immunization. Have fun. Take some paper-towels and cleaner. Hope you have leather.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

lol!! no leather but some cheap seat covers..

You might consider picking up some of the absorbent pads that are sold in pet stores that are used for helping to paper train (and I would never use them for that...). Could have the pup sitting on these just in case there is an accident.

Are these pups from a littler owned by Donna Ruth?
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly View Post
    Going Next Saturday The 15th To Gettysburg Pa. To Pick up a new black lab female pup. This is about 3 hours drive for us. I was just going to let her ride home in the back seat of my truck with my 2 kids. Figure on having to make a few pee breaks along the turnpike but am I forgetting anything?? We had a lab when I was a kid that got really sick riding in a vehicle. Thanks for any help.
    Here's an oldie that I wrote many moons ago.

I don't think I'd do the gun conditioning part anymore, but I would still probably do variations of the rest:

Crate Training Article

http://www.retrievertraining.net/crate/kennel.htm

For gun conditioning, I like to do that out in the field with assistant fired blanks - starting at a distance, AFTER pup associates the assitant with fun, then tie the pop to the fun.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Sounds like you might be missing an opportunnity to start out training your dog. Crate, crate,crate. They are safe and feel secure. Remember the dog is leaving everything they know. If it was me, I'd get a small crate, put some pads or towels inside, let the pup run around and be petted by the kids before you leave, then put in crate, keep inside crate and do not stop until you get home. Then take the crate with dog inside your house, place crate where dog will sleep, take dog out and carry outside where they will go to air/pee.

Enjoy your new family member. Harry
    "Sometimes we just gotta do what is right". Jerry 2006

See ya in the field. HPW http://www.sagaciouskennel.com/

If the breeder does not give you one, take an old towel and rub it all over mummy dog and any other pups from the litter that are still there and then take this home with you so your pup has some familiar smells to take to their new home.

I'm with the others as well on using a crate ..... the kids can still snuggle with the puppy enroute, but if the pup does get restless, it can go into the kennel to curl up and sleep on the towel with mum's smell on it. The crate also prevents someone opening a door at a rest stop at the wrong time when the pup is loose in the vehicle.

Have fun!
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc