The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 7 Week Old Lab Pup Transport Question

Ok Thanks.

We went 17 hours straight home with our pup. We used a deep Tupperware in the back seat to keep her in (we had a puppy crate with but never used it.) and kept our stops short and avoided letting her out at truck stops or gas station areas where other dogs might have gone. I focused on driving and my wife kept tabs on the pup. She slept most of the way. 3 hours should be easy.

I brought my last puppy 11 hours and she slept most of the time. She was crated and about every 3 hours she would began to whine. I would quickly as possible find a safe place to let her out for a bit of exercise. Then offer a little water and back in the crate. Some people say scented articles from the litter help.
    As others have suggested, stay away from areas that other dogs frequent. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stoune View Post
    I brought my last puppy 11 hours and she slept most of the time. She was crated and about every 3 hours she would began to whine. I would quickly as possible find a safe place to let her out for a bit of exercise. Then offer a little water and back in the crate. Some people say scented articles from the litter help.
    As others have suggested, stay away from areas that other dogs frequent. Good luck
    Very similar here.

To the OP:

We drove back from Upstate NY to Central IL with one overnight stay with 3 pups. Pups would fall asleep as soon as the vehicle started moving. The only peep out of them is when one of them needed to relieve itself. Granted this was 3 pups from the same litter so no doubt that helped a LOT. Every 2-4 hours we would start looking for places to stop that didn't have a lot of dog/people traffic and definitely avoided Rest Area's like the plague. What also helped in more ways than imaginable is their breeder did a LOT of work with them before they went to their new homes. They were the best little passengers I have ever been around. Good luck with your new addition.

Thanks for all the tips

It definitely helps having someone with you to make the trip. I had about a 3 hour drive when I picked up my pup and he slept most of the time which made it easy. I would have some towels on hand and maybe a toy for the pup to play with.

What part of SW PA are you from?

The day I picked up my pup, he had a 3hr car ride to the airport, a 2hr flight and then a 4 hr car ride home. I took my 9 year old daughter, plenty of towels, a little food and some water. I live in a bad parvo area, so when we stopped, I only let him pee in the bed of my truck. He slept on my daughter's lap 90% of the way home.
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

Around donegal