The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Tick Protection

Default Tick Protection

Looking for some feedback, PM's welcomed. I used frontline for years and never felt that I was really getting great protection in the WI Northwoods as my dogs would always have ticks on their necks. Two years ago I started on Certifect and have had great success, I really don't think that I have picked a tick off of any of my girls since I have been using it. My vet just told me this week that they will not be carrying Certifect anymore due to issues that dogs have been having and they are switching to a chewable, Nexgard.

Questions:

1. What issues have been reported with Certifect? I haven't had any issues but would like to be aware

2. Any feedback on Nexgard?

Thanks,
    Dave

I use K-9 Advantix.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH JHR RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR CH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC (Blew)

I use scalibar and no ticks on dog. Good for 6 months and waterproof . I take it off when running my dogs in field trial. Also, nontoxic
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

The war on fleas and ticks continues to escalate. I suspect some is driven by cheaper knock offs. It seems that the scientific shift is that disease transmission can occur quicker than previously thought. In humans ,it was thought that a tick needed to be on the host for 24 hours before significant risk was present. This is still debated! The concern is how much should we do to protect our dogs. Clearly there are cases where tick borne disease has been transmitted to a retriever thought to be protected. It seems that the products tout hours to kills ticks and fleas. I agree in a perfect world the "suckers" would never even get on our buddies.
    My concern for the newer products comes from reading about the ingredients where there are more warnings than on a bottle of DDT.
    One strategy is to use an amitraz collar and either remove during training or leave on during training. Certainly a different approac

I use k9 advantix as well as a fly repellent spray or wipes sold for horses. Was pretty impressed with the combination last year.

Vectra 3-D
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

We switched to new product at our vet clinic called Activyl plus. It has seemed to work GREAT here in Arkansas and Mississippi for fleas and ticks. I would HIGHLY recommend it. If you have any questions about it feel free to shoot me a PM.

I had a hard time with ticks last fall till I switched to k9 Advantix II. Not a single one after I switched over.

Quote Originally Posted by rotcsig443 View Post
    We switched to new product at our vet clinic called Activyl plus. It has seemed to work GREAT here in Arkansas and Mississippi for fleas and ticks. I would HIGHLY recommend it. If you have any questions about it feel free to shoot me a PM.
    You may have had success with the product but check out this thread.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...0-Activyl-flea

Quote Originally Posted by Sadie & Ruby View Post
    Looking for some feedback, PM's welcomed. I used frontline for years and never felt that I was really getting great protection in the WI Northwoods as my dogs would always have ticks on their necks. Two years ago I started on Certifect and have had great success, I really don't think that I have picked a tick off of any of my girls since I have been using it. My vet just told me this week that they will not be carrying Certifect anymore due to issues that dogs have been having and they are switching to a chewable, Nexgard.

Questions:

1. What issues have been reported with Certifect? I haven't had any issues but would like to be aware

2. Any feedback on Nexgard?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Regard Nexgard, http://www.merial.us/SiteCollectionD...Univers_r3.pdf

"The safe use of NEXGARD in breeding, pregnant or lactating dogs has not been evaluated.
    Use with caution in dogs with a history of seizures"I never use on any new flea/tick/heartworm product. This one is made in Brazil according to the product label. I'll wait 5 years and see if it's had a recall before I would consider using it and only then if it's been evaluated for breeding, pregnant, or lactating dogs.

I
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)