The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: I'm pissed our president is pushing a gay delegate on the Russians !

Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    The rough idea is that when you connect a person you know and care about to homosexuality it is more humanized for you and you would become more accepting of it and soften your views if not change them altogether. There was a study a few years ago of people who had a family member or a friend come out as gay. I don't want to quote the exact number because I have not read it recently, but an overwhelming majority became more accepting and understanding. A great example of that is Sen. Rob Portman who reversed his stance on gay marriage when his son came out as gay.

So to answer your question is the idea is to build a personal tie to the belief and the person. Abortion opponents try to do this also when they encourage would be mothers to listen to the heart beats or view a sonogram. Makes it real for them.
    Henlee, I get that, but if you are traditional Christian, it is against a core belief. They do not dislike the person, so getting to know them is of no purpose. they believe they are breaking a Christian doctrine, and therefore they are living in sin. This is also true for many of the major religions including Muslin's.

Sometimes, we all just cannot 'just get along'...

If you have any material on this I would be interested in seeing it. I don't disagree that it might be a medical issue.[/QUOTE]

Henlee

As you would imagine, finding credible research on this topic is very difficult do to the fact that homosexuality has been such of a hot political topic for so long. Both sides attack the other and due to the political nature of the topic, funding for research is not available. Yet for many years I have heard discussions by people who I respect and even read some science on the topic. My belief is that they just do not know, and their is a very large lobby that does not want anyone investigating this further (as you must assume it is an illness or disorder)....and that is not in their agenda.

Here is a link to an article that will lead you as deep as you want to go....but remember, many groups and media have done all the can to stop this research and to discredit what work has been done....so, for me I do not accept either side....

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...x-ex-gay-study

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    Henlee, I get that, but if you are traditional Christian, it is against a core belief. They do not dislike the person, so getting to know them is of no purpose. they believe they are breaking a Christian doctrine, and therefore they are living in sin. This is also true for many of the major religions including Muslin's.

I disagree it has worked in the past. If you look at the change in attitude from 20 years ago it is working now. You can not tell me that Christians always turn such a hard eye at people living in sin either. Their views on single mothers have softened quite substantially from the 50's and 60's to now. Use to be they would move a young girl to another town and adopt out the baby or to the local doctor for a "procedure". The real question is how long will it take and I suspect in another 10 or 20 years that some of the opinions stated on this forum will just seem like crazy shit grandpa says.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    I disagree it has worked in the past. If you look at the change in attitude from 20 years ago it is working now. You can not tell me that Christians always turn such a hard eye at people living in sin either. Their views on single mothers have softened quite substantially from the 50's and 60's to now. Use to be they would move a young girl to another town and adopt out the baby or to the local doctor for a "procedure". The real question is how long will it take and I suspect in another 10 or 20 years that some of the opinions stated on this forum will just seem like crazy shit grandpa says.
    I am not as sure as you are...some things they call progressive, I call madness.....it may go the way of the steam engine, or our society may transition back to find a moral base, as many of the young and all of the media have no moral basis anymore....time will tell!

The thing of it is no matter what your beliefs on sexuality one way or another; This Is just RUDE, You go to some else house, you respect them enough to, hold your tongue and honor their rules. You don't go into their living room, tell them how to live and force them to embrace your beliefs. If you can't be respectful you don't go.
    Russia is a much better host than the US are guests; I wouldn't have blamed them for booting them all out of the country. i feel sorry for the athletes who have made this competition they're lives goal, and are forced to be the bannermen of a political statement
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 02-11-2014 at 01:52 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    The thing of it is no matter what your beliefs on sexuality one way or another; This Is just RUDE, You go to some else house, you respect them enough to, hold your tongue and honor their rules. You don't go into their living room, tell them how to live and force them to embrace your beliefs. If you can't be respectful you don't go.
    Russia is a much better host than the US are guests; I wouldn't have blamed them for booting them all out of the country. i feel sorry for the athletes who have made this competition they're lives goal, and are forced to be the bannermen of a political statement
    Should we have kept Jesse Owens home in 1936 as well??

Skywatcher Salem Orchard Hard "Cider"

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post

Love thy neighbor as you love thyself................What a novel idea.

or

Judge not lest thee be judged...........................Seems so simple.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs View Post
    Love thy neighbor as you love thyself................What a novel idea.

or

Judge not lest thee be judged...........................Seems so simple.
    Funny thing about biblical quotes....you can find a quote that seems to justify anything....unless they are taken in the context of the whole scripture....

Quote Originally Posted by IowaBayDog View Post
    Ironically, the real snub of Owens came from his own president. Even after ticker-tape parades for Owens in New York City and Cleveland, President Franklin D. Roosevelt never publicly acknowledged Owens' achievements (gold in the 100 meter, 200 meter, 400 meter relay, and long jump). Owens was never invited to the White House and never even received a letter of congratulations from the president. Almost two decades passed before another American president, Dwight D. Eisenhower, honored Owens by naming him “Ambassador of Sports” — in 1955

Yes I did cut this fron this article. The athletes are being used for a political talking points. This is disgraceful.

http://german.about.com/library/blgermyth10.htm
    Last edited by Dan Storts; 02-11-2014 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaBayDog View Post
    I don't see how the two issues are related. Germany and the Olympics asked for the best, he qualified, went and won; the US didn't send him as a political statement of sending a black athlete, They sent him because he earned the right to go. Heck the US was just as prejudicial at the time. He earned his place as an athlete; I don't see how him being black enters into the equation at all.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 02-11-2014 at 03:44 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)